Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:06:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

This may have been covered before on this thread, but I really enjoyed Mom & Dad (2018)  on Shudder tonight. Just what the doctor ordered! It's a screwball 21st Century retro-stylized sub-George A.Romero shenanigans, but an excellent dark comedy romp.

Recommended. Or maybe just for those going through a late mid-life crisis?

Custard

Is that the one with Perry Benson? Surely that came out before 2018?

2008 apparently - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1129428/

Unless it's a different Mum and Dad?

Brundle-Fly

Can you not see the image then? No, this Mom and Dad is a Nic Cage going bananas movie. The other one is Perry Benson going bananas but in a far more bleak environment. That's a good one too but very grim.

Custard

Ah, apologies, I'm on the mobile

Will check out the Nic Cage one!

purlieu

Watched In the Earth, and if I ever needed an example of a film that's less than the sum of its parts, it would be this. I liked almost everything about it, but none of it worked together at all. The folk horror, the sci-fi nature stuff, even the 'trippy' bits, all great, but none of it ended up being satisfying. The best bits were the sound design, the
Spoiler alert
Cafe Oto experimental synth gig in the woods
[close]
and Reece Shearsmith, especially his performance of the film's standout line,
Spoiler alert
"No, I'm going to need to go to a hospital," which actually had me in fits of laughter.
[close]

Also fucking hell I am so bored of Tangerine Dream/John Carpenter-style synthwave scores at this point. This has been going on for longer than these sort of soundtracks were in vogue when they were actually original, and while the style might suit the likes of Beyond the Black Rainbow and Stranger Things, I really cannot be arsed with this tedium when it turns up in stuff like this and The Walking Dead where it jars so heavily with the mood of what's going on on screen.

purlieu

Threshold. While the blurb makes this very much feel like a horror - a woman and her brother travel to visit the only person who can remove the curse put on her - it's basically actually a road trip movie. The last five minutes is pleasantly bonkers, but otherwise it's a semi-improvised film about two siblings getting to know each other after three years apart due to the sister's former heroin addiction. It's not too bad for what it is, but don't watch it expecting a scare-fest.

TrenterPercenter

Currently sitting through Escape Room as chosen by my other half because she vaguely remembered something about it; nope I think she is just getting mixed up with other films with room in the title. 

It is an incredible level of shite.  Just watched
Spoiler alert
two dickheads that can't act making out whilst getting sprayed with acid and only realising when one of their hair fell out that they were being melted with acid - that might work in campy 80s way but it doesn't because the film is atrociously directed
[close]
.  No one can act in this film, not a single person, it's quite breath-taking.  Just don't watch this.

Poobum

I'm guessing you watched Escape Room (2018); Escape Room (2019) is a fairly decent film with okay acting, though not a fan of the ending, no idea about the former.

phantom_power

Shudder is 99p a month for 3 months on Amazon Prime at the moment if anyone is interested

Hand Solo

Quote from: phantom_power on June 02, 2021, 11:17:20 PM
Shudder is 99p a month for 3 months on Amazon Prime at the moment if anyone is interested

This is on there and quite creepy: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/caveat_2021

I didn't watch the trailer first neither, like a pleb.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Hand Solo on June 04, 2021, 10:47:14 PM
This is on there and quite creepy: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/caveat_2021

I didn't watch the trailer first neither, like a pleb.

Caveat, that is. It's not bad - eerie atmosphere and some nicely creepy creeps, but the story itself was a bit patchy and I'm not sure it really hung together as a whole. Worth your 90 minutes anyway.

BlodwynPig

Haven't seen it yet, but may rectify that tonight

Hand Solo

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 05, 2021, 09:55:52 AM
Caveat, that is. It's not bad - eerie atmosphere and some nicely creepy creeps, but the story itself was a bit patchy and I'm not sure it really hung together as a whole. Worth your 90 minutes anyway.

The third act doesn't hold together but that's true of 90% of horror. Hard to do a satisfying ending.

Dunno if it exactly qualifies as horror but I'm watching M.O.M (Mother Of Monsters): https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mom_2020

It's essentially a found-footage version of We Need To Talk About Kevin.

Head Gardener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA8ALfbP_hA

enjoyed this daft horror recently, mainly for Barbara Crampton (Re-Animator, From Beyond etc) she's 62 and still getting her boobs out, bless her

BlodwynPig

SteveDave

My wife put "Outpost" on for us to watch on Saturday night and then fell asleep 15 minutes into it. She was lucky.

Tyres from "Spaced" and some other mercenaries are hired to go somewhere in Eastern Europe to bring "minerals" back from a bunker. Turns out the bunker is a Nazi bunker and is haunted by the ghosts of Nazi super soldiers. Or something. I fell asleep at one point but did stay awake to see the awful CGI animation that was meant to look like an early 40s propaganda cartoon.

Artie Fufkin

^NOOOOOO!^ I've been looking forward to watching this for a while now. Sad face.

zomgmouse

Watched the original Patrick tonight. It's very good. Directed by Richard Franklin who made Roadgames. A classic really, Australian horror-thriller featuring a comatose telekinetic psychopath. Knows exactly what it's doing and executes it extremely solidly.

Brundle-Fly

Watched this 1973 George A.Romero short last night on Shudder. It's not a horror film in the slightest but more in the vein of a surrealist arty episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery. An interesting period piece that at 53 mins doesn't outstay its welcome but if it had gone on for much longer, I think I would've started drifting. Worth a look, particularly for the central performance.

2021 film critique
Spoiler alert
[close]
cliché alert[/i]. The message seems more poignant than ever today, but then you could say that about all of Romero's movies.

Blurb.
Recently discovered and restored 46 years after its completion by the George A. Romero Foundation and produced by Suzanne Desrocher-Romero, The Amusement Park stars Martin's Lincoln Maazel as an
Spoiler alert
elderly man who finds himself disoriented and increasingly isolated as the pains, tragedies, and humiliations of aging in America are manifested through roller coasters and chaotic crowds.
[close]
Commissioned by the Lutheran Society, the film is perhaps Romero's wildest and most imaginative movie, an
Spoiler alert
allegory about the nightmarish realities of growing older
[close]
, and is an alluring snapshot of the filmmaker's early artistic capacity and style and would go on to inform his ensuing filmography. The "lost" film was restored in 4k by IndieCollect in New York City.

Jerzy Bondov

Put that Caveat on, thought it was pretty good. There's a bit near the end where a scary face is peeping out that scared me right up.

I feel like if that
Spoiler alert
wall was so easy to saw through he could have kicked it through in half the time, probably wouldn't have made much more noise
[close]

Cuellar

Quote from: SteveDave on June 07, 2021, 01:33:23 PM
My wife put "Outpost" on for us to watch on Saturday night and then fell asleep 15 minutes into it. She was lucky.

Tyres from "Spaced" and some other mercenaries are hired to go somewhere in Eastern Europe to bring "minerals" back from a bunker. Turns out the bunker is a Nazi bunker and is haunted by the ghosts of Nazi super soldiers. Or something. I fell asleep at one point but did stay awake to see the awful CGI animation that was meant to look like an early 40s propaganda cartoon.

Was a toss-up between this and The Devil Below for us last night, which The Devil Below won and which was turned off after 15 minutes. Don't know what I expected of it, but it was shit.

I'm always looking for shit horror films to stick on, but then when they ARE shit I get annoyed. Work that one out.

SteveDave

Patrick (1978)

I saw this mentioned in the animal cruelty thread (and elsewhere I think?) and gave it a go last night. It was a weird one. It could've been great but it felt like a missed opportunity. That could've been a budgetary thing though. I'm interested to see how the remake deals with it.

Icehaven

Watched Brightburn (2019) last night on Netflix. Basically it's
Spoiler alert
Superman's origin story if he'd been evil
[close]
. Few good scares but overall pretty cliched and cheesy. Some Cronenbourg level gruesomeness too.

GoblinAhFuckScary

i watched let's scare jessica to death last night and that shat me up

Spoiler alert
misleading title tbh, but really bats depiction of paranoia, fear and psychosis. evokes shirley jackson-esque sense of otherness. i saw the main character's performance linked to gena rowlands in a woman under the influence
[close]

SteveDave

Seance

A group of 30 year old women in a dance academy dress up like Catholic school girls. One of them dies after a prank goes wrong and then a new girl arrives and more people start dying.

I was expecting a lot more from the fellow who wrote "The Guest" Absolute horse shit.

purlieu

Finally saw The VVitch. Thought the atmosphere and overall feel of it was enjoyably tense and sinister, but narratively it did nothing for me whatsoever. I felt drawn into the world, but my ultimate response was "so?"

Greg Torso

I watched Piercing last night, and was well up for seeing it because I loved The Eyes Of My Mother, the director's previous, but it left me a bit underwhelmed. The two central actors were great, especially Mia Wasikowska, and I liked how ambiguous it was about what the guy was hallucinating and what was actually being said or happening to him, but I could have done with a bit more flesh on the characters (pun intended). It's based on a story by Ryu Murakami who also wrote Audition, so clearly he's got some hang-ups about relationships.

Junglist

So, Hunter Hunter.

Family out in the woods being terrorised by a wolf. Father goes off to hunt it, leaving his wife and child behind. Very slow burn that turns into an unholy fuck me of an ending.

95% of this is an exceptionally slow thriller with some blood/gore (animal skinning etc). The other 5% is fucking 80's horror throwback insanity.

And due to that of course I loved it. One of the ending scenes is similar to another horror great.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Greg Torso on June 21, 2021, 11:34:25 PM
I watched Piercing last night, and was well up for seeing it because I loved The Eyes Of My Mother, the director's previous, but it left me a bit underwhelmed. The two central actors were great, especially Mia Wasikowska, and I liked how ambiguous it was about what the guy was hallucinating and what was actually being said or happening to him, but I could have done with a bit more flesh on the characters (pun intended). It's based on a story by Ryu Murakami who also wrote Audition, so clearly he's got some hang-ups about relationships.

Have you read Almost Transparent Blue... fuck! There is a film but i guarantee it wont be as affecting as the book

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Junglist on June 24, 2021, 03:58:07 PM
So, Hunter Hunter.

Family out in the woods being terrorised by a wolf. Father goes off to hunt it, leaving his wife and child behind. Very slow burn that turns into an unholy fuck me of an ending.

95% of this is an exceptionally slow thriller with some blood/gore (animal skinning etc). The other 5% is fucking 80's horror throwback insanity.

And due to that of course I loved it. One of the ending scenes is similar to another horror great.

The Thing?