Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grassbath

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 23, 2020, 11:01:01 PM
just watched a double bill of Wolf Creek 1 & 2 can recommend Wake In Fright for further outback thrills

Just watched this. Horrible. Second-hand chronic dehydration just looking at the screen. Very good though. A Christmas film too.

Enrico Palazzo

Went to The Grudge yesterday and enjoyed it. It's had a pummeling from the critics, which I don't quite get. It's relentlessly grim but I found it to be a pretty effective horror.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on January 28, 2020, 01:59:25 PM
Went to The Grudge yesterday and enjoyed it. It's had a pummeling from the critics, which I don't quite get. It's relentlessly grim but I found it to be a pretty effective horror.

Which decade do you think this is?

SteveDave

For an 80 minute long film, "Bliss" feels like "The Irishman". It's also dogs eggs.

Quote from: madhair60 on January 21, 2020, 09:25:49 PM
Watched Wolf Creek. Liked it. Not what I expected at all to be honest. It was grim, but Mick is too fucking funny to be upset by.

Wolf Creek 2, absolute nonsense. Gonzo madness. Rubbish but really, really, really fun rubbish. Laugh after laugh.

Recorded Wolf Creek 2 from late night horror channel purely on the basis of this review.

Puce Moment

Also watched Wolf Creek 2 and it is indeed a right old fucking hoot! Thanks!

Hand Solo

Gretel & Hansel

A nicely brooding, creepy adaptation of the old Folk tale, changes the traditional story somewhat enough to keep you guessing and plays with it as a morality tale as the Grimm's source material most certainly were crafted as. Lovely cinematography too that seems to have taken not a tiny bit of influence from Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain?

Puce Moment

The Golden Glove

This isn't your average 'true story pov serial killer horror' but rather something much more interesting. It almost feels like a Fassbinder film, helped by the Hamburg location, and the fact that our repulsive protagonist spends much of the time in misfit prozzie sheisse bars. As a study of a mysognist serial killer it is far more interesting and restrained than the recent Lars Von Trier nonsense.

bgmnts

28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead remake.

Trying to figure out which has the more terrifying opening.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: bgmnts on February 16, 2020, 10:22:03 PM

28 days later is my comfort dream

Thomas

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on February 16, 2020, 10:46:20 PM
28 days later is my comfort dream

I find it oddly cosy.

I think it's partly down to the film quality. If you filmed it now, shot for shot, but in crisp HD, it would be less brilliant.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on February 16, 2020, 10:22:03 PM

Wasn't it the end of Dawn of the Dead remake (credits sequence) that was particularly nasty?

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 22, 2020, 10:29:07 AM
I mentioned the TV series earlier within the thread and it's well worth checking out, for those who haven't done so already.

I vastly preferred it to the first film, but yeah, it's pretty darn batshit (in all the best ways).  The skippy truck scene is a hoot and I love the scene which plays out like a demented, hellish version of Mastermind.

The cricketer question, in particular, had me howling.

Thanks all for the heads up.

Enrico Palazzo

Haunt is fairly effective even though it covers familiar ground.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6535880/

Shaky

Quote from: Hand Solo on February 13, 2020, 09:41:37 AM
Gretel & Hansel

A nicely brooding, creepy adaptation of the old Folk tale, changes the traditional story somewhat enough to keep you guessing and plays with it as a morality tale as the Grimm's source material most certainly were crafted as. Lovely cinematography too that seems to have taken not a tiny bit of influence from Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain?

Directed by Anthony Perkins' son, so a fine pedigree already.

Head Gardener

C_Larence

Quote from: Head Gardener on April 02, 2020, 10:57:01 AM
Train To Busan II : https://youtu.be/ADhvLEVpXCs

I didn't like the original but come on, that looks awful

Head Gardener

I've seen worse and hey TTB was OK

Moribunderast

It's got mostly shit reviews and it doesn't do anything you've never seen before but I quite enjoyed UNDERWATER for what it was. Was fine half-drunk Friday night isolation viewing that brought to mind various 90s space/underwater sci-fi thrillers. Kristen Stewart runs around in her underwear a lot but you also have to put up with TJ Miller as the "comic relief" character, so, you know, pluses and minuses.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 04, 2020, 12:59:38 AMbut you also have to put up with TJ Miller as the "comic relief" character, so, you know, pluses and minuses.

deal breaker

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on March 31, 2020, 01:45:25 PM
Haunt is fairly effective even though it covers familiar ground.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6535880/

I didn't expect much from Haunt but I was very impressed with it - while not perfect, it's a level above yer average Halloween/haunted house/escape room-type film.  Gruesome in places and with effective (and quite disturbing) bad guys.

C_Larence

The Turning is available now. It got a right slating online for being generally shit and having a bad ending, so I'm excited to see it!

I quite enjoyed The Turning, but the ending is indeed a stinker.

Custard

It's maybe more of a disturbing sci-fi, but Vivarium has just come out and is good stuff, and I'm still thinking about it a week later

"Vivarium (2020) - A young couple is thinking about buying their starter home. They visit a real estate agency where they are received by a strange sales agent, who accompanies them to a new, mysterious, peculiar housing development to show them a single-family home. There they get trapped in a surreal, maze-like nightmare".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368406

I don't think it'll be for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. Creepy, disturbing, nightmarish. All the good things

Brundle-Fly

Watched The Night Eats The World (2018) on Netflix last week. One of those movies that are derivative of derivative movies, (no spoilers, but there are a few moments that are quite brazenly stolen) but for all that, it's a well-made mid-budget apocalyptic horror set in Paris with a likable lead.

If you're a masochist, this is perfect, lockdown paranoia fayre. (English speaking, for those wary of subtitles)

Custard

Feedback (2019)

"A radio star experiences the worst night of his life when stalkers assault the radio station where he's working".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7857374

This is a pwopa nasty little British horror/thriller, that has several jaw dropping moments. Eddie Marsan is great in this

Puce Moment

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 15, 2020, 09:52:02 AMIt's maybe more of a disturbing sci-fi, but Vivarium has just come out and is good stuff, and I'm still thinking about it a week later

The
Spoiler alert
little kid
[close]
was extremely unsettling - I enjoyed it just fine despite being terminally allergic to that Jesse Eisenberg guy 6.5/10

C_Larence

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 15, 2020, 11:30:38 AM
Watched The Night Eats The World (2018) on Netflix last week. One of those movies that are derivative of derivative movies, (no spoilers, but there are a few moments that are quite brazenly stolen) but for all that, it's a well-made mid-budget apocalyptic horror set in Paris with a likable lead.

If you're a masochist, this is perfect, lockdown paranoia fayre. (English speaking, for those wary of subtitles)

Wow, even the poster is derivative of As Above So Below (also on Netflix)

Junglist

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 15, 2020, 11:46:29 AM
Feedback (2019)

"A radio star experiences the worst night of his life when stalkers assault the radio station where he's working".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7857374

This is a pwopa nasty little British horror/thriller, that has several jaw dropping moments. Eddie Marsan is great in this

That's a banger