Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

This weekend I saw

"Polaroid"

A teenage photographer is given a Polaroid camera (from the seventies) and discovers that it's haunted. Whenever she takes a photo, there's a weird shadow in it and then the subject of the photo gets killed. Grace Zabriskie plays the requisite mad old woman and Mitch Pillegi from off of "The X-Files" plays the gruff sheriff...with a secret. It was OK.

"Unfriended: Dark Web"

I fucking loved this. It started out as some annoying friends being annoying but you knew they'd all be dead by the end so it was OK. A good concept (if a bit passe by 2018?- the Dark Web! It's "Killer Net" all over again) well done. Not as good as "Host" but worth a go. 

PlanktonSideburns

The Scary of Sixty First really enjoyed that, felt the irritating Newyork dullard characters were justified by their getting sidklined by
Spoiler alert
Dasha Nekrosova's speeded up paranoid conspiracy theorist, and worth it for the inclusion of Prince Phillip as a demonic entity
[close]
and despite some ropey script moments patched up by the Italian horror aesthetics, thought this worked overall, can't wait to see what she makes next

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 24, 2021, 06:45:02 PM
Anyone seen this?

Yes it's ridiculous hammy shite with great inadvertently funny moments.

Rev+

The Asphyx is flat-out great.  They start out with a reasonably solid concept but don't know where to take it, so it just becomes various levels of crackers until it eventually ends.  It feels like it was written in real time.  It also features the least fatal looking boating accident of all time.

Might as well watch it here, with an intro from a couple of affable dudes knocking back the stout:  https://youtu.be/c6g9ZezFKdA

zomgmouse

Got to The Scary of Sixty-First this morning and I'm kind of torn. Really admired the aesthetics of it, really wonderful stylistically, shot well, fabulous score - enjoyed the core ideas behind it and at the beginning dug the almost frivolous mumblecore vibe. But as it went on I couldn't help but think there was a lot more they could have done with it. Looking back I think I like it a bit more, but it just didn't quite come together. All the bits underpinning it were good but I don't think it was executed particularly effectively.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on July 26, 2021, 06:59:28 PM
Yes it's ridiculous hammy shite with great inadvertently funny moments.

Cheers trenter and reverend plus

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Rev+ on July 27, 2021, 03:13:12 AM
It feels like it was written in real time. 

This is spot on.

QuoteIt also features the least fatal looking boating accident of all time.

Yes one of the hilarious moments I'm talking about, that and the things in the jar (brilliant). It's bonkers.

TrenterPercenter

probably already done but watched The Dark the other night; frightfest billed it is as the best horror film of modern time (honest guv).

It's alright; it's basically a poor mans Let The Right one in, pretty slow and not at all scary (though it isn't really meant to be about that but a study on abuse).  Meh I can't say I really enjoyed in it didn't feel well put together despite it being technically fine in a lot of ways it just felt a bit obvious and boring (cast was goo mind).

If you want a dark teen romance film with a bit of grime/teeth and without the sexy capitalist vampires of that Twilight shite perhaps give it ago

SteveDave

We started watching "Jigsaw" until we realised (about 45 minutes in) that we'd already seen it when we watched all of the "Saw" films in a week a few years ago. So instead we sat down to enjoy "Spiral".

It's a right fucking mess. It's like they've filmed it before and after Chris Rock got some dramatic acting lessons. Sometimes he's really good but sometimes it's like he's on SNL and he's seeing the lines he's saying for the first time. Samuel L. Jackson plays his dad but his mind's elsewhere.

The plot. Someone's killing bent coppers. The same bent coppers who've been harassing Chris Rock since he blew the whistle on one of them years ago. He gets a new rookie partner. More murders happen. The ending is fucking awful and I was genuinely angry at it.

AsparagusTrevor

I haven't seen it but from your write up I'm guessing the
Spoiler alert
rookie new partner is behind it all.
[close]

SteveDave

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 31, 2021, 09:24:32 AM
I haven't seen it but from your write up I'm guessing the
Spoiler alert
rookie new partner is behind it all.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Yeah
[close]

zomgmouse

Christopher Smith's The Banishing. Haunted rectory, creepy dolls, ominous secrets, disturbing visions, England on the brink of War, Sean Harris stealing the show, opening stabbing scene... seems to have it all. Not amazing by any stretch but it's not bad. Wiki suggests this is inspired by a real-life haunted rectory (Borley).

Noodle Lizard

Speaking of Borley Rectory, did anyone see that sort of dramatised documentary about it from a few years ago, starring Reece Shearsmith? Very low budget and some of the green screen work is truly Decker vs. Dracula quality, but it's sort of worth a watch. Borley Rectory, I think it was called.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3832326/

Junglist

The Empty Man is surprisingly good considering its fuck awful poster and title.

badaids

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 02, 2021, 06:34:59 PM
Speaking of Borley Rectory, did anyone see that sort of dramatised documentary about it from a few years ago, starring Reece Shearsmith? Very low budget and some of the green screen work is truly Decker vs. Dracula quality, but it's sort of worth a watch. Borley Rectory, I think it was called.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3832326/

Ive been to Borley Rectory (or the remains of it), when i first learned to drive with my mates for a laugh. Fucking saw some kind of entity didnt we and got the shit scared out of ourselves didnt we. To this day weve nvere mentioned it again.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Junglist on August 03, 2021, 07:17:47 PM
The Empty Man is surprisingly good considering its fuck awful poster and title.

I just watched this and unfortunately thought it was toilet. The Wee Wee Poo Poo Man more like it.

zomgmouse

Thought I posted this but must have closed the tab before posting:

The Toll. A passenger and her rideshare driver take a detour into the forest and the road starts going in a circle and there's lots of weird things going on and it all sounds like it should be decent but it's really not very good at all.

Enrico Palazzo

Frankenhooker (1990)

A guy's girlfriend dies in a bizarre gardening accident so he rebuilds his wife using body parts from prostitutes. Quite enjoyed this mainly because of Patty Mullen's uninhibited comic turn as the monster.  Surprised she only did one other film.

Jerzy Bondov

I watched that The Boy Behind the Door on Shudder, it was good, very very tense. A couple of boys get snatched by an unseen kidnapper; one of them gets away but then goes back to help his mate and all hell breaks loose. I've seen a few people commenting about one particular scene which is basically the same as the most famous bit in The Shining, which is fair enough, but I wasn't bothered. Always nice to see
Spoiler alert
an axe going in a door
[close]

Junglist

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 04, 2021, 07:50:54 AM
I just watched this and unfortunately thought it was toilet. The Wee Wee Poo Poo Man more like it.

We will have words, Sir Noodle

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Junglist on August 04, 2021, 04:12:01 PM
We will have words, Sir Noodle

We will. This isn't the first time you've pulled a stunt like this.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on August 04, 2021, 12:18:43 PM
Frankenhooker (1990)

A guy's girlfriend dies in a bizarre gardening accident so he rebuilds his wife using body parts from prostitutes. Quite enjoyed this mainly because of Patty Mullen's uninhibited comic turn as the monster.  Surprised she only did one other film.

Yeah, she's great in it.

holyzombiejesus

I was sure someone on here mentioned Viy, the 1967 Russian horror. Just watched it, so so good and inventive. Reminded me a lot of (the band) Broadcast. I got a limited Bluray which came with an extra disc which contains something called A Holy Place, described as "A adaptation of Nikolai Gogol's short story and a stunning example of Serbian Gothic cinema from director Djordje Kadijevic. Described by critic Dejan Ognjanovic as "an unparalleled excess of perversity and terror"". Not watched that yet though.

Watched that A Classic Horror Story the other night. It was so run-of-the-mill and then there's a shit twist about 10 minutes from the end. Seemed to borrow a lot from Midsommar and The Ritual.

Also saw that Netflix 3-parter, Fear Street. Not very interesting.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 05, 2021, 10:33:17 PMAlso saw that Netflix 3-parter, Fear Street. Not very interesting.
I've watched the first two so far. They seem to be getting rave reviews everywhere but I was quite underwhelmed. I mean they were entertaining as throwaway slashers but nothing too special. I'll watch the last eventually, to wrap it up.

holyzombiejesus

Thought Maya Hawke's appearance (in the film, not her looks) was a bit odd. Not starry enough for a cameo but just a really minor role.

I thought the Fear Street films were ok, standard slasher fayre with a couple of surprising elements - in the second one especially,
Spoiler alert
they didn't hold back on killing young 'uns in very gruesome ways.
[close]
Also, I liked that
Spoiler alert
mid-way through the third instalment it became the second part of the first film.
[close]

Chedney Honks

Curve

Not my choice but a pretty effective box ticker. Attractive young woman picks up an attractive hitchhiker. What's this? He turns out to be a bad guy. Unfortunately, she ends up in a vulnerable position where she must dig deep within herself to survive. Despite all the familiar elements, and an unironic amount of 'WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?' moments, it held attention for the 88 minutes or so. Not especially nasty but some psychological sadism and some impactful violence. I thought the acting was also quite good for this kind of thing.

Echo Valley 2-6809

I don't think I've seen The Vigil mentioned here yet.  Very effective slow-burn creepiness. 

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q82CFO_OvmY

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: badaids on August 03, 2021, 07:23:19 PM
Ive been to Borley Rectory (or the remains of it), when i first learned to drive with my mates for a laugh. Fucking saw some kind of entity didnt we and got the shit scared out of ourselves didnt we. To this day weve nvere mentioned it again.

Tell us!

zomgmouse

Watched the Taiwanese zombie comedy Get the Hell Out, which was a bit monotonously manic and unfortunately empty of the political fervour it promised at the beginning.