Author Topic: Horror films  (Read 42695 times)

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
Re: Horror films
« Reply #510 on: October 14, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »
It's not scary but One Cut of the Dead is a guaranteed good time. I'd also recommend Housebound

« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2020, 02:33:10 PM »
The Ice Cream thread just reminded me of The Stuff.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #512 on: October 14, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »
I do have that animated Addams Family, from last year, bookmarked on Netflix, but the reviews were rather tepid as I recall.
mweh

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #513 on: October 14, 2020, 07:31:53 PM »
This year's All Hallows Eve movie marathon is taking shape, but I feel like it needs some good comedy horror to act as a palate cleanser. Current options are: Braindead, Evil Deads 2&3, Shaun of the Dead, Slither, Dog Soldiers, Attack the Block, Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil and Addams Family 1&2. I feel like I've seen them all about a thousand times though, so what else is there in that severed vein?

I do have that animated Addams Family, from last year, bookmarked on Netflix, but the reviews were rather tepid as I recall.

No doubt you've already seen it but it wasn't on your list (so maybe you haven't done it to death)  but Drag Me to Hell classic in the vein you are talking about imo.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #514 on: October 14, 2020, 07:56:51 PM »
I did Michael Soavi's The Sect the other night.  It's quite giallo (though has got a bit more occult in it than most). It's not a patch on the excellent Stagefright but it has it's moments (specifically a heron based sex scene with beakings!) .  Not really my kind of film but some might enjoy it here.  Also interesting to note that the lead is Jamie Lee Curtis's sister.

Currently watching Wishmaster as it keeps jumping out to me on Prime.  Says it's a cult classic executively produced by Wes Craven, never heard of it. It's clearly terrible but watchable (so far).

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #515 on: October 14, 2020, 07:58:00 PM »
This year's All Hallows Eve movie marathon is taking shape.....

also just thought of another horror comedy one Lair of the White Worm

« Reply #516 on: October 14, 2020, 08:38:44 PM »
I did Michael Soavi's The Sect the other night.  It's quite giallo (though has got a bit more occult in it than most). It's not a patch on the excellent Stagefright but it has it's moments (specifically a heron based sex scene with beakings!) .  Not really my kind of film but some might enjoy it here.  Also interesting to note that the lead is Jamie Lee Curtis's sister.

I've got a strange fondness for this. Soavi's made some great stuff. The atmosphere of this is nice, even though it's meandering and slow. I like stuff where people seem compelled by forces they can't resist and that n junk.

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #517 on: October 14, 2020, 08:43:38 PM »
Probably the best horror of the year and it's free on Youtube!

Jack in the Box (2020)

« Reply #518 on: October 14, 2020, 08:55:14 PM »
also just thought of another horror comedy one Lair of the White Worm
That's a strong contender. I remember reading about it in a book in the school library (the same book in which I also read about Evil Dead 2 for the first time, coincidentally). It sounded interesting, but this was pre internet and the video shop didn't have it, so I just forgot about it.

Drag Me to Hell was meant to be on the list. I've not seen it as many times as the others, but I did see it on telly recently.

Is Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the film) as shit as it's cracked up to be? We've been watching the show lately and are curious to see where it all began.

« Reply #519 on: October 14, 2020, 09:25:50 PM »
Probably the best horror of the year and it's free on Youtube!

Jack in the Box (2020)

Thank fuck, thought you were going to post the other one.

Hellraiser for twats.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

• Goodness me, it's Her Who Plays Villanelle!
« Reply #520 on: October 14, 2020, 09:57:36 PM »
Yeah it's surprisingly decent, and the first one is one of my top 10 of all time. 3 & 4 are just about watchable mediocre fare if you consider them as separate entities. But definitely avoid
Bates Motel (1987), which my parents rented for us all to watch back in the days when you couldn't look up reviews for films. One of the most atrocious cash-ins.

Did Bud Cort play Villa...oh, for fuck's sake the new owner? I'm just guessing from that drawing.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #521 on: October 15, 2020, 04:18:37 AM »
This year's All Hallows Eve movie marathon is taking shape, but I feel like it needs some good comedy horror to act as a palate cleanser. Current options are: Braindead, Evil Deads 2&3, Shaun of the Dead, Slither, Dog Soldiers, Attack the Block, Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil and Addams Family 1&2. I feel like I've seen them all about a thousand times though, so what else is there in that severed vein?

Stalled was the first that sprung to mind.

Also: Planet Terror, Rubber, Mr. Vampire, Fright Night, The Return of the Living Dead, Happy Death Day, Body Melt, Piranha, The Haunted Cop Shop, Prevenge, Murder Party, Deathgasm, Re-Animator.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #522 on: October 15, 2020, 06:28:03 AM »
I've been going through the Ju-On films, from the two 3min shorts "In the Corner" and "4444444444" to the two The Curse films and finally the two The Grudge films. I actually watched The Grudge (2002) first as I didn't do my research and thought it was the first in the series, then went back and watched the others I've mentioned. The 2002 one was undoubtedly the best in the series, with its sequel next best; there was some good stuff in the The Curse films but it wasn't quite as well-developed (the second one being about a third full of the first one didn't help), and the two shorts were also interesting as experiments but not entirely well-formed. But those two The Grudge films were extraordinary! Such a chilling sense of dread and eerie sadness, the prolonged cycle of the curse is truly something else. Plus the nonlinear storytelling means it's fun to see how it all connects together piece by piece. That creaky-voiced sound is a brilliant invention as are the painted-face ghosts. Absolutely fantastic.

I read later that the director Takashi Shimizu studied under Kiyoshi Kurosawa, director of (among other things) Cure and that influence is readily visible and palpable in these entries.

I'm going to watch the four American ports next and see how they go; it'll be particularly intriguing as the first two of these were directed by Shimizu himself, and the fourth one was by Nicolas Pesce, whom I find to be a really interesting new voice.

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #523 on: October 15, 2020, 05:31:31 PM »
I've got a strange fondness for this. Soavi's made some great stuff. The atmosphere of this is nice, even though it's meandering and slow. I like stuff where people seem compelled by forces they can't resist and that n junk.

Yeah it's great stuff i'm halfway through The Church which is a bit more coherent than The Sect.  He has defintiely got a style and there is lots to like about his films in general, like the 80s music and driving skits for example.

Brundle-Fly

• *Jooolie Andreeeews!! Thhhrrrrp!!!!*
« Reply #524 on: October 15, 2020, 06:38:30 PM »

Comedy zombie horror?  All of these are great romps and really bring something new to the undead universe.

« Reply #525 on: October 15, 2020, 08:02:02 PM »
Yeah it's great stuff i'm halfway through The Church which is a bit more coherent than The Sect.  He has defintiely got a style and there is lots to like about his films in general, like the 80s music and driving skits for example.

Yeah that's a good one too. It was supposed to be Demons 3, wasn't it? Hence all the Demon business and a nice call back to him being the metal faced man in Demons. Him and Argento had a barney or something and he made it into something else.

There's something that i find strangely facinating about those late 80s/early 90s Italian horrors. They look really nice, that film stock everyone used in the late 80s was great. And becasue they were losing popularity people seemed to take more chances rather than just knock off something American (not that i'd accuse Argento or anyone like that of doing that). 

Have you seen Spider's Labyrinth? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095728/ It's freaking great and is at the top of my "please find a print and release this on dvd or bluray pls" list. You can only get it on knock off dvd's or torrent it and even that's from the Japanese vhs. The antagonist straddles the line between looking silly and terrifying, which is one thing i worry about on a cleaned up version, would it just look shit. It's the most recent film to shit me right up. To the extent in fact i got scared in the middle of the night gettinng up and going to the lav after watching it first. It's totes lovecraftian.

This is recommended too (Dark Waters (1993 one) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109550/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_7 It's literally lovecratian and seems totally overlooked. How many films must be called dark waters though lolz?

THis is a great giallo film too https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072662/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0  such a great title, The Killer must Kill again, and a freaking great premise to it, too.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #526 on: October 16, 2020, 03:06:38 AM »
Count Dracula (the Jess Franco one). Sumptuous visually but rather dry, especially for a Franco.

Creepshow. What potential. What a waste. Excellent comic book framing device and visual transitions but this turned out to be a slog. Didn't mind the first and last stories and the (comic)bookend segment but oh gosh I was so disappointed. The fact that Stephen King wrote the screenplay to this and adapted two of his own short stories extremely badly... just... what?

neveragain

• like those swamp tar pits that bubble and go Gloop
« Reply #527 on: October 17, 2020, 07:39:22 PM »
Dearie me, I find all the segments enjoyable.

Glebe

• Please beware as there is a draclea on the loose.
« Reply #528 on: October 17, 2020, 08:57:42 PM »
The Shining is on BBC2 in about 15 mins. I just watched a New Rockstars breakdown of the film before I knew it was on, by odd coincidence.

« Reply #529 on: October 17, 2020, 10:37:54 PM »
No TV and no beer makes Homer something something.

« Reply #530 on: October 18, 2020, 12:23:39 AM »
The Mortuary Collection

Pretty decent anthology horror in the old school 80s vein, says its a Shudder original but I found it through other means.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #531 on: October 18, 2020, 12:26:00 AM »
Haven't seen Candyman in yonks but Tony Todd's voice and general performance still scares the life out of me.

« Reply #532 on: October 18, 2020, 06:19:57 AM »
Seconded on Housebound, loads of fun and just gruesome enough.

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #533 on: October 18, 2020, 08:25:16 AM »
Color Out of Space. Phenomenal really. The breadth of the horrors (and the visuals), the characterisation of the madness, the exponential descent into unreality, the casting choice of Tommy Chong (and Nicolas Cage as well, really)... so much to pick through and think about. Loved it.

« Reply #534 on: October 18, 2020, 09:09:23 PM »
The Mortuary Collection

Pretty decent anthology horror in the old school 80s vein, says its a Shudder original but I found it through other means.

Partly filmed in my town - not every day one gets a chance to say how-do to Clancy Brown. Not bad at all.

« Reply #535 on: October 18, 2020, 09:53:41 PM »
Haven't seen Candyman in yonks but Tony Todd's voice and general performance still scares the life out of me.

I watched it in the last 12 months and it holds up well.

Artie Fufkin

• Let Me In, Sparks
« Reply #536 on: October 19, 2020, 12:10:09 PM »
Color Out of Space. Phenomenal really. The breadth of the horrors (and the visuals), the characterisation of the madness, the exponential descent into unreality, the casting choice of Tommy Chong (and Nicolas Cage as well, really)... so much to pick through and think about. Loved it.
Yep. They done a brilliant job on this. Was pleasantly surprised.
Have you seen Mandy? Also very freaky-deaky.

« Reply #537 on: October 19, 2020, 03:26:31 PM »
Watched Mandy when it came out with friends and it was very Evil Dead 2 levels of acid-trip Horror but comedically so.. so when I was visiting them again the other week I decided to put on Colour Out Of Space expecting it to be very mild in comparison, how wrong I was..

Some choice crazy Nic Cage acting as well “Get the fuck out of my face. Wait, I’ll save you the trouble and get the fuck out of yours!!!”

zomgmouse

• I love carrots
    • BEN VOLCHOK DOT COM
« Reply #538 on: October 20, 2020, 01:05:26 AM »
Mandy was pretty good but rather surface-level, whereas Color Out of Space had umpteen layers to comb through, a far more striking film to me.

« Reply #539 on: October 20, 2020, 09:10:31 PM »
The Shining is on BBC2 in about 15 mins. I just watched a New Rockstars breakdown of the film before I knew it was on, by odd coincidence.

I'm going to see this at the cinema this Sunday - first time on the big screen. One of my favourite films ever, really looking forward to it.

Tags: