Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:17:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

General Erection

Started by pancreas, October 24, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Ew, just seen those regional yougov polls. I know 'polls' but still, they've put me on a bit of a downer.

Dr Rock

Those polls commissioned by JO SWINSON & the libdems where the FibDems are doing fucking amazing, despite all the national polls show them not doing that well and slowly losing support?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 08, 2019, 02:34:08 PM
Those polls commissioned by JO SWINSON & the libdems where the FibDems are doing fucking amazing, despite all the national polls show them not doing that well and slowly losing support?

I think these are different ones.

EDIT: Had time to think so not posting a link. Fuck them off. Head down, campaign, ignore the distractions, the liars, the traps and the slurs.

Dr Rock

Like this

Westminster voting intention in the NORTH EAST (17-28 Oct)

Lab - 32% (-23 from GE2017 result)
Con - 26% (-8)
Lib Dem - 15% (+10)
Brexit Party - 19% (+15 on UKIP GE2017)
Green - 7% (+6)

First, it's YouGov. And it's mostly good, the Brexit Party has shot up (as it would on YouGov) but Labour are still ahead. That's not good enough for the Tory plan to work. What we need is canvassing that persuades Labour to LibDem switchers that they can't be trusted and did all that austerity; and hope Swinson continues to put people off over the next five weeks.

Also the fieldwork was conducted well before the election campaign began (17-28 Oct). Since then Labour has already begun to gain ground at the expense of the Lib Dems, and Brexit Party are climbing.

But it's YouGov, don't take it too seriously.

Buelligan

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 08, 2019, 02:43:55 PM
EDIT: Had time to think so not posting a link. Fuck them off. Head down, campaign, ignore the distractions, the liars, the traps and the slurs.

Absolutely this.  Here we are going over the top comrades, a poll, a million polls, about how it's going to be is irrelevant, all that's relevant is doing our lifetime best and then finding something else to give just when they think it's all over.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, I know. Also, in a way, even if the polls were correct, it's irrelevant. They showed Labour losing double figure % leads over the tories to give the latter 3 or 4% leads. If the tories are so dependent on these places and the best they can muster in Brexit supporting Northern towns after such a tricky time for us is 3 or 4 per cent, we can overcome that. We don't need to get all those votes back or win by big margins, just 1 seat in each constituency.

Dr Rock

But while talking about YouGov, here's an excellent comparison of polls that show how the Brexit Party always does much better and Labour worse in YouGov polls compared to the other pollsters. And it was YouGov that over-estimated the Brexit party's success in the European
Elections by 7 points.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/oct/31/uk-general-election-2019-poll-tracker

holyzombiejesus

Is there any evidence that polling companies have ulterior motives or have an agenda for downplaying Labour's ratings or is it just that they have dodgy methods?

Zetetic

YouGov was co-founded by Nadhim Zahawi, most obviously - that presents a pretty strong motive whatever you think of their methods.

(To some extent you can always hide methodological dodginess in your demographics adjustment black box. It's not inherently ridiculous to use phone polls or sample sizes in the low three figures, but these should sharply limit your conclusions when things appear so close.)

BlodwynPig

Colleague and exCaBber standing for Green in my constituency. Decisions, decisions

Labour

Replies From View

Quote from: EOLAN on November 08, 2019, 12:36:29 PM
Are we still not meant to shoot the messenger when the messenger totally fails in giving the correct message. I mean; of all things; that is what the messenger should be shot for.

When that happens what you have is not a messenger, but a dipshit.

A very very subtle difference.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on November 08, 2019, 01:58:24 PM
I'de rather get 1984, 1999 or 2001

Alright but if you weren't allowed those, would you be okay with 1000?  It is all that is on offer.

Zetetic

https://www.remain-labour.co.uk/campaign-pledge-ge-2019

As of writing 62 Labour Parliamentary Candidates have committed to a pledge reading:

"Labour is committed to a confirmatory referendum, to give you the final say on Brexit.

If elected as your Labour MP, I pledge to campaign to Remain in the EU"

Which might be handy if you're campaigning (formally or otherwise) in their seats. (Well, mostly if they're Lib/Lab marginals, I imagine.)

pancreas

This Lib Dem fuckery has made it basically impossible to advocate tactical voting, hasn't it? We can't have people looking up polls and making mistakes, so we just need to go all out. No safety net from hard Brexit.

Cunts.

Dr Rock

Surely whatever Swinson says, the libdems are more likely to do a coalition with Labour than the Tories right? Right?

Zetetic

Even I don't believe that and, with the greatest of respect to me, when it comes to this sort of thing I'm an utter chump.

Dr Rock

But.. But they want to stop Brexit...

Fambo Number Mive

They would probably say that if they entered a coalition with the Tories they could "moderate" the effects of Brexit, despite not being able to moderate the effects of Tory Austerity.

2020 - As a no deal Brexit kicks off PM Boris Johnson agrees to Deputy PM Jo Swinson's demand for a 20p charge for plastic bags and the removal of tarrifs on Prosecco crisps and brussell sprout guacamole. She has to ask him in Latin, however.

jamiefairlie

No chance of Swinson doing a deal with Labour. She's a Tory at heart and not even a moderate one at that. She wants power and will sweep any pledges under the carpet if it got her deputy PM under the Tories.

New folder

king_tubby

So the Guardian have libelled a Labour PPC as an antisemite because Jonathan Freedland couldn't tell the difference between two different brown men with the same name.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Gann/status/1192818639172489217

jobotic

Replies From View

pancreas

New folder

ok but just please verify that it is not too dank for public consumption

pancreas

It is posted now. Let us see how it does.

Buelligan

Quote from: king_tubby on November 08, 2019, 07:23:42 PM
So the Guardian have libelled a Labour PPC as an antisemite because Jonathan Freedland couldn't tell the difference between two different brown men with the same name.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Gann/status/1192818639172489217

I wonder how he'd feel about someone saying he was fired by Netflix for repeatedly using the N-word?  He may not be that chap but he is a cunt.

jamiefairlie

Interesting poll of Labour & Tory voters on who they'd find acceptable as partners in a coalition. This may be influential if tactical voting does play a part in this election.