Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

General Erection

Started by pancreas, October 24, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: jamiefairlie on November 08, 2019, 10:59:59 PM
Interesting poll on Labour & Tory voters second preferences. This may be influential if tactical voting does play a part in this election.

Did the Liberal Democrats create that?  I can't seem to make the numbers add up, surely the idea of a percentage is that all of the answers add up to 100?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Buelligan on November 08, 2019, 11:04:29 PM
Did the Liberal Democrats create that?  I can't seem to make the numbers add up, surely the idea of a percentage is that all of the answers add up to 100?

I guess each person could choose more than group they'd find acceptable. My initial language was misleading, it's not really second preferences, so I changed the original post to better reflect the poll question.

Sebastian Cobb

So largely fringe parties?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on November 08, 2019, 11:04:29 PM

It doesn't have to add up because it's based on spot checks on who people would be most comfortable forming coalitions with.

Oh you live in Leicester? do you support the SNP and the goals of Plaid Cymru? Alright then.

Zetetic

Quote from: jamiefairlie on November 08, 2019, 11:07:14 PM
I guess each person could choose more than group they'd find acceptable.
Yes.

Buelligan

So everyone could choose all of them and they'd all get 100%, how informative.

Sebastian Cobb

Zetetic

Regardless of the detail and YouGov's involvement, I don't think it's that surprising or controversial.

Maybe the apparently middling acceptability of Plaid and SNP as partners for Labour, but I imagine that's very sensitive to who and where you're polling, whatever you try to do with adjustment after the fact. (And you probably don't have much evidence for that adjustment.)

Perhaps I might expect the LDs to be less acceptable at this point, but obviously it depends on the nature of any confidence-and-supply agreement anyway - and depending on who, where and previous questions, respondents might have been fairly focused on Brexit.

Sebastian Cobb

pancreas

Quote from: New folder on November 08, 2019, 10:43:07 PM
ok but just please verify that it is not too dank for public consumption

ONE LIKE

Mr_Simnock

I love it when right wing paper front pages contradict each other. The daily heil moaning about the threat of the brexit party vote which could apparently really harm the tories and lose them seats and the torygraph stating boris ahead in every region of england (as if he is). Well if boris is so far ahead in the polls why worry about anyone else lol?

Sherringford Hovis

FIFTEEN politics threads on CaB's first page.

Never has General Bullshit been so aptly named FFS.

Ferris

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on November 09, 2019, 02:53:08 AM

I've mentioned it before, but a "politics" sub-forum would do wonders for GB.

Though as I've also mentioned before, I'm not a mod so I'm not going to get caught up in criticism or attempted moderating. It does feel like GB should be renamed "Brexit+" these days though.

greenman

Quote from: Zetetic on November 08, 2019, 11:27:16 PM
Regardless of the detail and YouGov's involvement, I don't think it's that surprising or controversial.

Maybe the apparently middling acceptability of Plaid and SNP as partners for Labour, but I imagine that's very sensitive to who and where you're polling, whatever you try to do with adjustment after the fact. (And you probably don't have much evidence for that adjustment.)

Perhaps I might expect the LDs to be less acceptable at this point, but obviously it depends on the nature of any confidence-and-supply agreement anyway - and depending on who, where and previous questions, respondents might have been fairly focused on Brexit.

Probably the most significant thing on the poll I'd say though is how high the Greens come in with the Tories. That arguably highlights that whilst Farage might be popular with a majority of there voters there's a significant percentage who he's likely very unpopular with.

Dr Rock

Non-politics threads need to raise their game.

Buelligan

And, I think, hope, that issues like Brexit, like the election, will return to their proper place in the hierarchy of things imminently.  Right now, for better or worse, these issues are genuinely and unusually concerning and interesting to a lot of people, hopefully, that will end very soon now.

olliebean

The fly in the ointment of tactical voting is that the Lib Dems have weaponised it and are using it in bad faith to trick people into voting for them, even in places where it actually increases the chance of a Tory win.

idunnosomename

Yes what cunts. Who is actually running the Jo's Swinsons Liberal Democrats? Its not Jo Swinson thats for sure. She couldnt run an egg and spoon race

jobotic

Quote from: king_tubby on November 08, 2019, 07:23:42 PM
So the Guardian have libelled a Labour PPC as an antisemite because Jonathan Freedland couldn't tell the difference between two different brown men with the same name.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Gann/status/1192818639172489217

Freedland obviously feeling very  apologetic and humbled.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/09/jews-brexit-boris-johnson-jeremy-corbyn

New folder

Quote from: jobotic on November 09, 2019, 11:52:00 AM
Freedland obviously feeling very  apologetic and humbled.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/09/jews-brexit-boris-johnson-jeremy-corbyn

"jews-brexit-boris-johnson-jeremy-corbyn"

Could be the URL of almost every Guardian article these days.

BlodwynPig

"Many Jews want Hitler out. But how can we vote for Ernst Thälmann?"

Jeremy Corbyn, earlier

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 09, 2019, 11:01:59 AM
Yes what cunts. Who is actually running the Jo's Swinsons Liberal Democrats? Its not Jo Swinson thats for sure. She couldnt run an egg and spoon race

To be fair they are quite tricky.

She couldn't run a wheelbarrow race because a friend is required in the process; there.

thugler

This is mainly due to the new 'every side topic must have it's own thread' policy. People are never happy.

pigamus

I wish party leaders on all sides would drop this "No coalition with anybody else ever" stuff. We're not used to coalitions in this country but the way we're all so divided and fragmented it's going to be a fact of life from now on. Yes you want a majority for your own party but be real.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: pigamus on November 09, 2019, 05:12:46 PM
I wish party leaders on all sides would drop this "No coalition with anybody else ever" stuff. We're not used to coalitions in this country but the way we're all so divided and fragmented it's going to be a fact of life from now on. Yes you want a majority for your own party but be real.

I think the public should be real in appreciating that for clear and obvious reasons a party whose primary aim is to further their own cause could harm that by declaring interest in a coalition or alliance with a particular party before an election.

Fambo Number Mive

Johnson visit interferes with children's education:

Quote..."We were told it was for security reasons," 17-year-old Robbie Szymanski told The Independent.

"But it's a pretty cowardly thing to do if you ask me. You're at our school, Boris: come and see what we think of you."

Lessons were held up because the youngsters were not allowed to move round the site. Some students, who should have had free periods, reported not being allowed to leave the building or go home...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boris-johnson-sixth-form-students-trapped-room-nottinghamshire-general-election-a9196231.html

greencalx

Opinium poll shows the gap closing by four points. Will be interesting to see if this is replicated in others. A narrowing gap will give the campaign more momentum.

Dr Rock

Quote from: greencalx on November 09, 2019, 07:44:50 PM
Opinium poll shows the gap closing by four points. Will be interesting to see if this is replicated in others. A narrowing gap will give the campaign more momentum.

Link?

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

Gaining ground?

Ffs - not a fucking clue about reality and perception