Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

General Erection

Started by pancreas, October 24, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 28, 2019, 08:17:50 PM
It's like Waiting For Godot on endless repeat.

In other words fucking awesome.

olliebean

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 28, 2019, 12:42:47 PM
Well, it further indicates the Lib Dems just want to pick up another 20 or 30 seats off the back of absolute fucking morons rather than actually stop Brexit.

I honestly think (at least for the leadership, if not the individual candidates) the desire to pick up more seats is secondary to wanting to block Corbyn from power. The Lib Dems seem to have positioned themselves more in opposition to the Opposition than to the Government.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's because their most winnable seats are Tory ones. These motives are joined.

Replies From View

Hello I don't understand what is going on.

Something about the 9th of December that the Lib Dems and SNP are insisting on, because it'll be better for student voters or something?  Why would it be in their interests to fight for that?

What are Labour wanting now?  Is it still to do with taking No Deal off the table before committing to an election?  I thought that they would back an election if an extension beyond 31st October was granted, so what has happened since?

Fambo Number Mive

Michael Deacon

QuoteBoris Johnson in the Commons: "This parliament has run its course."

It began two weeks ago today

Dr Rock

Quote from: Replies From View on October 28, 2019, 10:27:57 PM
Hello I don't understand what is going on.

Something about the 9th of December that the Lib Dems and SNP are insisting on, because it'll be better for student voters or something?  Why would it be in their interests to fight for that?

What are Labour wanting now?  Is it still to do with taking No Deal off the table before committing to an election?  I thought that they would back an election if an extension beyond 31st October was granted, so what has happened since?

9th Dec means Boris couldn't get his deal through first.

Theoretically No Deal is still possible at the end of the 2020, plus during the transition phase. I don't know how it could be made impossible though.

Dr Rock

Also making 9th set in law means Boris can't say he wants it on the 12th, then move it back.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 28, 2019, 10:34:31 PM
9th Dec means Boris couldn't get his deal through first.

Theoretically No Deal is still possible at the end of the 2020, plus during the transition phase. I don't know how it could be made impossible though.

The only way is to revoke Article 50 or get a deal through. Without either of these happening we'll remain in endless drifting limbo.

Replies From View

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 28, 2019, 10:47:14 PM
The only way is to revoke Article 50 or get a deal through. Without either of these happening we'll remain in endless drifting limbo.

AND LIMBO WAS HIS NAME-O

pancreas

I have to say I've really lost the plot.

Is this just about cunt Labour MPs not wanting to win?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pancreas on October 28, 2019, 11:20:11 PM
I have to say I've really lost the plot.

Is this just about cunt Labour MPs not wanting to win?

I think that it is in Labour's interest to not have an election until Brexit has been technically achieved i.e the UK can say they are no longer in the EU (of course that's just the start of years of negotiations). Once Brexit has occurred, an election is favourable because:

Brexit negates the cry for Brexiteers (especially Labour ones) to rally to the Brexit cause and vote Tory, plus
any chaotic fallout from Brexit can be blamed on the Tories, plus
it negates any pull to the LDs for Labour Remainers.

The problem is that it puts them in a pickle as to how to achieve Brexit under Tory rule without  being blamed for helping it to happen. Not sure how they do that (hence the current stalemate).

pancreas

Doesn't quite make sense. I think they're more petrified of the idea of Corbyn as PM.

What would Mandelson say.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pancreas on October 28, 2019, 11:36:47 PM
Doesn't quite make sense. I think they're more petrified of the idea of Corbyn as PM.

What would Mandelson say.

"follow the whip or those photos with you & Gordon in Boris's special shed will be on every front page tomorrow, you cunt"

peanutbutter

In 2010, when a load of people voted for the Lib Dems, what was that all about? It was gonna be a coalition and probably more likely to be with the Tories than Labour on the basis of numbers.

Was it just a totally fucked situation where the idea of re-electing Labour was impossible to stomach and the smallish chance of a Labour/LibDem coalition was the only thing that was remotely appealing to the point it outweighed the risk a Tory majority?

Or was it just loads of young people who didn't understand how shit England's voting system is thinking the Lib Dems could get a majority?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pancreas on October 28, 2019, 11:36:47 PM

yeah, the Blairites are, they want to lose an election to get Corbyn out as they can't get him out any other way. That's risky though as he may just win and then they are screwed. It's like so much of this misery, nobody's happy with the status quo but every possible move is fraught with risk so it's like trench warfare.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 28, 2019, 11:41:55 PM
In 2010, when a load of people voted for the Lib Dems, what was that all about? It was gonna be a coalition and probably more likely to be with the Tories than Labour on the basis of numbers.

Was it just a totally fucked situation where the idea of re-electing Labour was impossible to stomach and the smallish chance of a Labour/LibDem coalition was the only thing that was remotely appealing to the point it outweighed the risk a Tory majority?

Or was it just loads of young people who didn't understand how shit England's voting system is thinking the Lib Dems could get a majority?

LDs were still viewed as somewhat centre-left in those days, Clegg did well in the debates, Brown was awful and Cameron couldn't quite negate the memories of Tories past. It was general belief that the LDs would be much more likely to form a coalition with labour, so less risk to vote for them that is nowadays.

pancreas

One theory I've heard is about the particular date re: students. Probably better they're at home tho, so 12th Dec sounds fine to me.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pancreas on October 28, 2019, 11:49:05 PM
One theory I've heard is about the particular date re: students. Probably better they're at home tho, so 12th Dec sounds fine to me.

Does it not depend on where they are registered though? If their family home is not in the constituency they're registered in then they'd have to travel to vote.

colacentral

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Johnson is throwing a strop because his agreement will be amended to outlaw No Deal, amongst other things. The opposition parties only have to wait him out, as if he tries to spend three months doing nothing, as the prime minister, there's no way to spin that in a positive light. He wants an early election before his poll ratings go lower or his deal gets amended. Why give him that? The right thing to do is hold off until he blinks, which he has to. There's no point risking a loss in numbers in parliament, particularly with the threat of independents like Soubry etc losing their seats to leaver conservatives.

Zetetic

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 28, 2019, 11:52:08 PM
Does it not depend on where they are registered though? If their family home is not in the constituency they're registered in then they'd have to travel to vote.
You can register in two areas.

pancreas

Quote from: colacentral on October 28, 2019, 11:52:25 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Johnson is throwing a strop because his agreement will be amended to outlaw No Deal, amongst other things. The opposition parties only have to wait him out, as if he tries to spend three months doing nothing, as the prime minister, there's no way to spin that in a positive light. He wants an early election before his poll ratings go lower or his deal gets amended. Why give him that? The right thing to do is hold off until he blinks, which he has to. There's no point risking a loss in numbers in parliament, particularly with the threat of independents like Soubry etc losing their seats to leaver conservatives.

Really? We have to hold him in place for yet another 3 months. Maybe another 9 after that. Fuck it, let's just keep him as PM forever. THEN HE WILL POLL REAL BAD

jamiefairlie

Continuing the stalemate is highly risky for all parties, I don't think anyone can predict with any reasonable certainty how that would affect their various popularity in the polls. Also, eventually the EU will run out of patience and no-deal could happen if an extension is not granted.

Blumf

I've got an unbent paper-clip, does anybody know where the little hole for the reset button is on parliament? Sort things out in a jiffy.

Ferris

Is anyone following this People's Vote implosion? One of the splinter groups is genuinely called "for our future's sake", but appears to ask press to acronymize them as "FFS". If that was in a satirical comedy, it would be derided for being too broad. British politics in 2019 is latter-day Ben Elton-tier.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/28/peoples-vote-set-for-showdown-after-directors-sacking

It also appears the campaign is being run by power-hungry careerists and blairites, and backed by big money centrist businessmen (in their suit and tie). Who'da thunk it.

didnt start a new thread because this will blow over in a week and I'm sure nobody wants another Brexit thread on the front page. Please don't be mad, Neil.

Captain Z

FFS, I still haven't got my head around #FPPE or why people are so unhappy Malala Begum is studying it.

Ferris

greencalx

Quote from: pancreas on October 28, 2019, 11:49:05 PM

Utter bollocks. How many university terms end midweek between the 9th and the 12th?

I've found a couple that finish before the 9th but the vast majority finish later. (We don't finish till the 20th). However this majority excludes Oxbridge so doesn't count in the eyes of the media or most of the commentariat.

Fabian Thomsett

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 29, 2019, 01:23:14 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/28/peoples-vote-set-for-showdown-after-directors-sacking

Quote35 staff walked out

How many staff did they have exactly?? And what did they do all day? How much money's been poured into this nonsense?

Dr Trouser

Labour now whipping for a Chrimbolection.

It's on!

Can't wait....

danielreal2k

Labour now backing an election...