Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

General Erection

Started by pancreas, October 24, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 11, 2019, 07:16:18 PM
No that is what is seriously sinister from YouGov saying this when it they also say that "these people would never vote Tory" therefore it gives leavers a party to vote for that isn't Tory. 
I suspect it depends on how much you can convince Tory/BXP voters that the Tories are anti-British, money-obsessed cunts who don't really care about nationalism, the army or immigration.

Zetetic

Quote from: Jockice on November 11, 2019, 07:17:41 PM
In Sheffield, the city I live in, there are a few hundred Jews. The 2001 census says 763 but when I went to the aforementioned funeral about three years we got shown round the synagogue (I knew the building. I used to go to tai chi lessons in the main hall) and I'm sure the number 250 was mentioned.

747 people in Sheffield LA reported 'Jewish' as their religion in the 2011 census.

That's not the same as going to synagogue, mind you. Or considering yourself Jewish in some other respect.

Jasha

Still though fingers crossed for an IBS Portillo moment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/11/green-candidate-steps-aside-as-labour-targets-tory-held-chingford

(incidentally my Green is having to crowd fund to get their deposit together)

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Zetetic on November 11, 2019, 06:55:59 PM
Well, yes.

There are about 2,000 people who identify as being religiously 'Jewish' in Wales, and about 800 of them live in Cardiff. I grant I've probably (briefly) met more Jewish people cycling along the river Lea in east London (on occasional weekends) than I have in Wales - certainly knowingly.

But, again, why would you necessarily know?

Those are mormons on the bikes

Zetetic

I'd like to clarify before the committee that I was the one cycling.

king_tubby

Javid: DEBATE ME MCDONNELL YOU COWARD

Big John: sure, name a time and place

Javid:

Jockice

Quote from: Zetetic on November 11, 2019, 07:20:18 PM
747 people in Sheffield LA reported 'Jewish' as their religion in the 2011 census.

That's not the same as going to synagogue, mind you. Or considering yourself Jewish in some other respect.

I don't know why the 2001 rather than 2011 census result came up on Google there. Probably some conspiracy  Probably the 250 figure was the number of people who do synagogoing. I'm not sure and it's possible I misheard it. It's a bit of a strange situation meeting someone for the first time ever at his dad's funeral and it's a type of funeral you've never been to before as well.

I've met him a couple of times since. He doesn't live in Sheffield anymore anyway. The traitor.

pancreas

I know loads of Jews and I am a Labour Party member, hence antisemitic to my bones. Somehow I manage to restrain myself from wanting to kill them. I am literally amazing.

king_tubby

I obviously don't want to turn this in to a competition, but I know a Jewish dude who is a Labour party activist! What's that all about, eh?

pancreas

Quote from: king_tubby on November 11, 2019, 07:56:38 PM
I obviously don't want to turn this in to a competition, but I know a Jewish dude who is a Labour party activist! What's that all about, eh?

I know two! Constantly having to stop them trying to kill each other.

holyzombiejesus

One of the families I work with is Jewish and I did a home visit today. I got my diary out and it has a big Vote Labour sticker on the front. I left the about sticker face up so they knew not to give me any shit as I was interested to see if they said anything but not a dicky. The father looked like Peter Andre but I guess you can't read anything from that.

SteK

My mate always had a line at the bus stop;

Other Person: It's there a Bus due?

My Mate: Yes, but how did you know I'm a Jew?

imitationleather

I used to have a "thing" with a Jewish lass. If that had worked out I could have ended up Jewish!

Buelligan

My friend, who I'd been friends with for years asked me recently if I was Jewish.  I asked her why and she said that the first names of my family, to a French person, would indicate a Jewish family.  Then she told me that she was Jewish.  I'd never thought about it.  I expect there are lots of perfectly Jewish people just living in the world with each other and no one even thinks about it, except Margaret Hodge, of course.

pancreas

Quote from: imitationleather on November 11, 2019, 08:03:21 PM
I used to have a "thing" with a Jewish lass. If that had worked out I could have ended up Jewish!

Is it contagious?

Quote from: Buelligan on November 11, 2019, 08:04:56 PM
My friend, who I'd been friends with for years asked me recently if I was Jewish.  I asked her why and she said that the first names of my family, to a French person, would indicate a Jewish family.  Then she told me that she was Jewish.  I'd never thought about it.  I expect there are lots of perfectly Jewish people just living in the world with each other and no one even thinks about it, except Margaret Hodge, of course.

It was interesting that Hodge rediscovered her ancestry at precisely the same time she started calling Corbyn antisemitic.

Replies From View

Margaret Hodge would have made a wonderful mother for someone like Daniel Kitson.

kalowski

Quote from: SteK on November 11, 2019, 08:01:19 PM

QuoteI was in a record store.  Listen to this -so I know there's
      this big tall blond crew-cutted guy and
      he's lookin' at me in a funny way and
      smiling and he's saying, "Yes, we have a
      sale this week on Wagner." Wagner, Max,
      Wagner-so I know what he's really tryin'
      to tell me very significantly Wagner.

idunnosomename

Quote from: king_tubby on November 11, 2019, 07:38:18 PM
Javid: DEBATE ME MCDONNELL YOU COWARD

Big John: sure, name a time and place

Javid:
he'll get him in a headlock and give that bonce a good ol slap

Quote from: olliebean on November 11, 2019, 04:56:06 PM
This is fucking existential shit, isn't it? If the Tories win this, Brexit goes through - probably with no deal by the end of 2020 - Scotland definitely leaves, and without the Scottish vote, that's the Tories in power pretty much permanently.

the way to keep the union together is to vote Boris in - Grandpa Semtex was going to sell the UK's soul to get into number 10 by giving Jimmy Krankie her referendum

jobotic

Love the idea that McDonnell would be scared to debate Javid.

Paul Calf

Quote from: SteK on November 11, 2019, 08:01:19 PM

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBoris Johnson's former adviser has been selected to replace Heidi Allen as the Conservative candidate in the next general election – and he has the new PM's seal of approval.

Anthony Browne, who also worked under Mr Johnson at the Spectator magazine, would back a no deal exit from the EU in October if the Prime Minister believed it were the only option, he told the Cambridge Independent...

Mr Browne brings a bit of controversy with him for some of the views he has expressed as a columnist.When he worked at the Spectator magazine, Mr Browne wrote an article claiming third world immigrants bring germs into the country.

When asked why he wrote that he said: "I went through a phase as a young journalist trying to get attention and it is not language I would use now. I regret saying it."

When asked whether he, however, believed the statement to be true he would only repeat: "I regret saying it."

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/parliamentary-candidate-has-backing-of-new-prime-minister-9077579/

idunnosomename

farage wont be giving back candidates money because he is a fucking reptile

Dr Rock

I hope this at least makes a few Remain Tories (a third of them apparently) decide they can't vote for Boris's & His Toad Mate's Hard Brexit Which Is Still Probably A Ruse To Crash Out No Deal.

Fambo Number Mive

Tories now pressing Farage to stand down candidates in Labour seats, according to the Guardian.

At least one Brexit Party candidate will still stand, as an independent.

BlodwynPig

Arise Sir Farage, ambassador to the United States

olliebean

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 11, 2019, 10:34:05 PM
farage wont be giving back candidates money because he is a fucking reptile

What money? Did they have to pay him to stand?

Quote from: Jasha on November 11, 2019, 07:27:20 PM
Still though fingers crossed for an IBS Portillo moment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/11/green-candidate-steps-aside-as-labour-targets-tory-held-chingford

(incidentally my Green is having to crowd fund to get their deposit together)
Would be an amazing double whammy that. IDS one of the most callous horrible MP's out, and Faiza Shaheen in who not only has great politics and a working class background but is an economist who actually knows what shes on about and would run circles around most MP's

idunnosomename

Quote from: olliebean on November 11, 2019, 10:54:02 PM
yes. here's a simple piece from a few months back.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/07/05/brexit-party-parliamentary-candidates-another-money-making-scheme/

the brexit party is like the dodgiest kickstarter ever. makes john K's cans without labels garbage seem above board

Quote from: olliebean on November 11, 2019, 10:54:02 PM

Heard that they had to foot a pretty hefty bill for bourbon creams at their meetings...if you catch my drift.