Author Topic: Whatever Happened to the Pizza at MacDonalds?  (Read 1662 times)

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • ...and I really do mean that.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
Whatever Happened to the Pizza at MacDonalds?
« on: October 24, 2019, 07:38:31 PM »
I’ve become stuck in this podcast. It’s really good.

Rather than have it be buried in the generic podcast thread, I thought I’d start a separate thread to proselytize. The first arc is slow, and takes about 22 eps to really get going (but they’re all a few minutes long so really you can up to speed in 2 days worth of commutes). Glad I stuck with it because it’s paying off big style now.

It is ostensibly an in-depth investigative podcast about why MacDonalds stopped serving pizza in the mid ‘90s, hosted by an obsessive “journalist”, but the characterization and in-jokes really build. Anytime someone hangs up on him, he says “...very suspicious”, and takes any confusion from interviewees as deliberate attempts at stonewalling his investigation. It is a lot funnier than that sounds. It also moves away from the main “investigation” pretty quickly, and now is tying lots of very disparate threads together. There is a shadowy nemesis investigative journalist who may (or may not) be hampering his investigation, that’s all I’m saying.

I should say - it’s also very gentle. He’s not cold calling people to make fun of them, and the show is not based solely around stupid phone calls or anything, so don’t be put off. I don’t have a high cringe tolerance factor and it’s never been an issue for me. He’s always open, and presents himself as a curious obsessive, and he never pushes past anyone’s boundaries which is nice (and occasionally, very rewarding).

Anyway, I thought it was clever and funny, and wanted to alert other people to it. Don’t be fooled by its “try-hard at being shit” branding, or low stakes - it’s actually very good. I’m up to ep 90 or so, and really enjoying it. If you liked Nathan for You, this is worth your time.

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
Re: Whatever Happened to the Pizza at MacDonalds?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 09:03:45 PM »
Cheers

Rev+

• Your dirty mouth covered in dogfood
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:57:48 PM »
Thanks for highlighting this one, but, and I know it's probably just a consequence of listening to this several years after it started, the adverts that have been injected into it completely do my head in.  I'm up to episode 9 and must have heard the one for the shit sounding 'what if there was an app that told you how long you've got left to live' film over a dozen times.  I know it being all advertising and little content is part of the gag, but hopefully it'll realise it's made that point and move on soon.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 12:03:28 AM »
Thanks for highlighting this one, but, and I know it's probably just a consequence of listening to this several years after it started, the adverts that have been injected into it completely do my head in.  I'm up to episode 9 and must have heard the one for the shit sounding 'what if there was an app that told you how long you've got left to live' film over a dozen times.  I know it being all advertising and little content is part of the gag, but hopefully it'll realise it's made that point and move on soon.

The advertising is fucking AWFUL. Sorry. I don’t know what to do about it - I’m just quick on my “skip 30 seconds” button, but didn’t want to mention it in case it puts people off. It’s not part of the podcast - mine is localized to Toronto and has contemporary offerings on second hand cars - guy just (presumably) sold the podcast to the highest bidder which means the most obnoxious adverts for the rest of us. Gotta roll with the punches on that one.

I’m up to ep 85. The investigation has reached the library of Congress. They may be in on it as well, albeit via a different strand of proceedings.

easytarget

• five gas lighters for a pound
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 12:04:56 AM »
[tag]Clement and La Frenais reboot "too commercial"[/tag]

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 12:14:13 AM »
After a while, any food not eaten is thrown into a bin whereupon it is carted to a landfill site to rot within a plastic bag.

Hope this helps x

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 12:34:41 AM »
After a while, any food not eaten is thrown into a bin whereupon it is carted to a landfill site to rot within a plastic bag.

Hope this helps x

Do you remember pizza at MacDonalds?

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 02:33:34 AM »
Do you remember pizza at MacDonalds?

How did it taste?

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »
Got up to date on this a few weeks ago, it’s brilliant.

chveik

• I will monetize your eyeballs
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 08:50:30 PM »
what happened then?

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 12:03:48 AM »
what happened then?

The investigation is ongoing. He’s had to move out of his house on stilts (collapsed under the weight of Casper mattresses) and there were too many coyotes around there anyway (long story), so he’s putting the quest to acquire his California PI license on hold as he is technically homeless.

Luckily, while living in a YMCA, his roommate used to fix ms pacman video games consoles, and mentioned fixing one on Adak island, Alaska. It turns out there is an abandoned macdonalds there, preserved from the early ‘90s (aka the height of McDonald’s pizzas power) so he has crowdsourced a trip to go and explore. This is in relation to the pizza ovens mcdonalds bought (or didn’t buy), which could crack the case wide open.

I donated $1 to this effort, in my ongoing attempts to fund independent journalism. Adak island takes about a week to get to (via plane, ferry, small plane etc) and he is believed to have left for the trip already but couldn’t confirm for security reasons*.

*He was recently attacked by either McDonald’s, Casper mattresses (long story), or possibly an employee of Hardee’s (presumed to be his old nemesis, Maxwell Boswell), but this is not clear. It did lead to a side arc featuring the “friendly ghost” brain implant chip, but I won’t go into more detail here.

chveik

• I will monetize your eyeballs
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 12:08:02 AM »
well done, you've made a great case for the podcast, I'm going to listen to it now (well, whenever I finish those George Saunders audiobooks). thanks!

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 01:47:33 AM »
Thank you for your candour.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upphängningspunkterna
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 01:54:16 AM »
McDonald's had pizza in America?

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 02:07:21 AM »
McDonald's had pizza in America?

Yes, but they stopped selling it in the mid ‘90s for shadowy, undisclosed reasons. Hopefully one day, we will know why.

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 01:34:37 PM »
dived in on this, listened to 8 episodes (LOVE the brevity, hate the ads, though the Panoply stuff made me laugh) and am well into it. I love a great deadpanner/incompetent narrator.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 02:40:23 PM »
was worried about the prayer call episode (14) after the sub-podcast parody episode but I laughed loudly and genuinely about 5 times.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 06:38:09 PM »
was worried about the prayer call episode (14) after the sub-podcast parody episode but I laughed loudly and genuinely about 5 times.

That was the ep it clicked for me.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 07:28:17 PM »
up to 78 and this is great great stuff

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 07:40:17 PM »
up to 78 and this is great great stuff

That was around where I was when I started this thread because I thought it was too good to go unnoticed. Next few arcs are very good.