Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:21:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Whatever Happened to the Pizza at MacDonalds?

Started by Ferris, October 24, 2019, 07:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Latest episode is brilliant. Probably a good starting point if you haven't bought in before?

Ep 200. It's great.

PlanktonSideburns

Thomas

I'm on ~ep 120. Love it, very Morrisian at times. Perfect commitment to deadpan, even as he dabbles in deep absurdity. I was thrilled that the
Spoiler alert
Mothman
[close]
somehow briefly flapped his way into the investigation.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 28, 2020, 02:47:25 PM
Article in the NY Times about my favourite podcast:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/28/business/mcdonalds-pizza-podcast.html

Apparently John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats is a big fan. A Ferris ourobouros of things I am an obsessive fan of.

I was surprised, visiting the Twitter and Instagram accounts, to find that Brian's followers number only in the couple-of-thousands, and that his SoundCloud tracks have only a few hundred plays.

In a meta sort of way, this relatively small following suits the tiny, weird world of his niche investigation, but in my listening I'd imagined the podcast to be much more widely enjoyed.

phes

I'm at almost exactly that point, about 115

Am I the only person who has been envisioning Brian as Nathan Fielder   

Ferris

It's really good. Let me know when you get to the Alaska arc and I'll PM the link for the donor-only episode
Spoiler alert
a stand up routine delivered to nobody, in an abandoned church, in the middle of the night, on the godforsaken island of Adak, Alaska
[close]

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: phes on April 08, 2021, 11:13:25 PM

Yea there's definitely some of that, in a good way.

I remember someone once saying of Morris that he would Bobby knock a door, but then wait to see who answered. This show sometimes feels like a polite version of that

Ferris

Quote from: phes on April 08, 2021, 11:13:25 PM

I got into it by being a massive Nathan Fielder fan and having someone recommend this to me as "very similar" on discord.

sevendaughters

#200 is great. I love when he does that faux-breezy NPR voice.

The Crumb

Spotify seems to have made it much easier to play in order and the adverts have been trimmed down. Got stuck back in this evening, had the Christmas one and the Willow 2 treatment, excellent stuff.

phes

Really want to listen to this when I'm going to sleep but the volume difference in spotify between the ads and the show is crazy. Creeping through it at a quarter of the piece because of that

The Crumb

I really enjoyed his detour into shitting on Rick and Morty and asking about Szechuan sauce in a terrible Jersey Shore accent.

Dex Sawash

Thought I recovered a memory of a HS girlfriend loving McD pizza but it would have been 1982-83 so, prolly no.

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 18, 2021, 07:32:13 PM
Thought I recovered a memory of a HS girlfriend loving McD pizza but it would have been 1982-83 so, prolly no.

My wife mentioned eating pizza at McDonald's (while growing up in Canada in the mid '90s) and I was legitimately excited. She has no real memory of it, but I can only assume it was pretty good for the price.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Yeah, but your wife has probably never had a Chicken Legend GARYor a carton of curry sauce to dip her chips in, so if you ask me it's her that's missed out, not you.

BritishHobo

Was struggling to decide whether to stick this out or not, as the first ten or twenty episodes feel much of a muchness. Very funny, but unsure where it was going. Think it's finally hitting for me, after episode 32,
Spoiler alert
'the last ever episode of Whatever Happened to Pizza at McDonalds?', followed by the immediate followup episode suddenly implicating Bowe Berghdal.
[close]

Captain Z

Can anyone recommend a good app/place to listen to this? I've tried up to about episode 12, it's not really clicking yet but I'd like to go a little further. The main problem is that the app I downloaded on my phone only plays podcast playlists in reverse fucking order (I mean, just... mate), so you get to the end of episode 8 and it will go on to episode 7, and there's literally no button to skip in the other direction.

Ferris

Quote from: Captain Z on May 04, 2021, 06:45:27 PM
Can anyone recommend a good app/place to listen to this? I've tried up to about episode 12, it's not really clicking yet but I'd like to go a little further. The main problem is that the app I downloaded on my phone only plays podcast playlists in reverse fucking order (I mean, just... mate), so you get to the end of episode 8 and it will go on to episode 7, and there's literally no button to skip in the other direction.

I use apple podcasts, and it's actually very good.

It's a weird show which is why it's stayed so niche and it takes ~20 eps to sort itself out and get going. The early ones are so short I did it in a week or two's worth of commutes[nb]remember commutes? What were all that about![/nb], but there's an ep where
Spoiler alert
he calls a prayer line, and just improvs along with the guy in a good natured way
[close]
that made me laugh out loud in public and I've been hooked ever since.

The later eps are terrific.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Captain Z on May 04, 2021, 06:45:27 PM

This is the same issue I had. I tried a different app but that wouldn't play the next episode at all, so I was having to go into the app every five or ten minutes to press play on the next episode. Really fucked any momentum and made it a chore to listen to, whereas if I'd just had them playing in a row then I think I would have gotten into it more quickly.

sevendaughters

bumping this very old thread to say the list of his favourite musical artists in the newest episode (309) slayed me. A very good episode too.

Dex Sawash

Timely bump, I've been enjoying the 'whatever happened to the whatever happened to the pizza at McDonald's thread' podcast recently

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The new Philly Cheese Stack they're doing is boss. It's ever so cheesy.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 29, 2023, 11:01:03 AMThe new Philly Cheese Stack they're doing is boss. It's ever so cheesy.

I'm glad this is a safe place to say so. It's fucking ace isn't it

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think a slice of bacon to give it a bit of a tang would push it into god-tier territory.

Ferris

The conclusion of the (real life?) Panoply media story makes me laugh every time I hear the ident. For those not into the lore:

When the show started, it (falsely) claimed to be part of the Panoply Media podcasting network, for a laugh more than anything - the inherent absurdity of this weird little esoteric show being associated with a media giant. Brian got a formal cease and desist letter from Panoply, and stopped claiming to be part of the network. He set up a fake rival media group, Pizzaply Media, and carried on.

Fast forward several years, and Panoply have gone bust, been bought out, and changed their name, effectively abandoning the Panoply brand. As part of an episode satirizing the rise and fall of the podcasting bubble in the late 2010s/2020s, the brand name Panoply was "claimed" by WHTPAM?, so the show can finally say it is part of the Panoply Network, but that Panoply itself is now a subsidiary of Pizzaply media (which is still going strong). WHTPAM? has won.

Such a silly little detail, but the show is full of that kind of intricate silliness.

Thursday

This cunt figured out what happened to the Pizza at McDonalds yet?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Thursday on November 01, 2023, 02:22:52 PMThis cunt figured out what happened to the Pizza at McDonalds yet?

it was 'good for the price'.

Dex Sawash

McDonald's did danish (maybe still do) that they injected steam inside them to make them delicious.

Can't find an image with the lid up, but theres about a dozen needles sticking up, the stale inedible danish gets impaled on the needles, lid is closed and industrial light and magic happens.

Hank_Kingsley

Just started listening to this the other day, dude reminds me a lot of John Wilson. 6 episodes in and I'm liking it a lot so glad to hear it only gets cooking 650 episodes in or whatever.

gib

just did the latest ep. I don't get any ads whatsoever, fuck knows why some of you insist on using apple or spotify

Bently Sheds

I just laughed out loud in the office listening to the episode where he called up a UK McDonald's and put on a terrible British accent.