Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:29:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stephen Morris got into my car...

Started by Jockice, October 25, 2019, 01:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

I went to a talk by the Joy Division and New Order drummer last night, who along with Jon Savage were being interviewed about their recent books. I got a signed copy of Morris's. For a mate who is a massive fan but couldn't make it last night. That's his crimbo present sorted out.I'll read it first though of course. I'd probably have bought Savage's too, but they were having problems with the card machine and I didn't have enough cash on me.

Anyway, after that I tarried somewhat (chatting to people, popping into a nearby shop) before returning to my car. But before I'd even turned the ignition on, someone opened the passenger door and attempted to get in.  It was Morris, who  was under the impression that I was the taxi taking him back to Macclesfield. I told him I wasn't and showed him the book and he apologised and went to get his actual cab which was parked just up the road.

i don't think anyone would believe this but the event's organiser was with him, so she can verify this actually happened. She told me later he was rather embarrassed. So was I. I mean Sheffield to Macclesfield would be a fare and a half at the very least.

Have any other Cook'd and Bomb'd readers ever been mistaken for a form of transportation by a member of an influential Manchester band? Or two? If so, don't let me know. I intend to dine out on this story for the rest of my life.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Jockice on October 25, 2019, 01:30:57 PM
Have any other Cook'd and Bomb'd readers ever been mistaken for a form of transportation by a member of an influential Manchester band?

Happens all the time! Why only last night I-

Quote from: Jockice on October 25, 2019, 01:30:57 PMIf so, don't let me know.

Oh.

holyzombiejesus

Back in the olden days when I worked on Oldham Street in Manchester and knew fashionable people, Badly Drawn Boy would often show off the pair of false teeth that Mark E Smith left in his glove compartment when mistaking his car for a taxi.

Captain Z

I swear every other post you make involves some chance interaction you've had with a celebrity. I'm not having a go, I just find it amazing as someone who has literally never knowingly encountered someone famous out in the wild.

Jockice

I'm the man who really knows the stars.

wosl

Quote from: Captain Z on October 25, 2019, 02:50:56 PMI swear every other post you make involves some chance interaction you've had with a celebrity.

CaB is refreshingly almost entirely free of name-droppers, but there are two or three who seem to do it somewhat regularly. 

pigamus

If you go to a lot of stuff, it's not that surprising that you meet people, is it?

Sebastian Cobb

Jockice

Quote from: pigamus on October 25, 2019, 05:20:52 PM
If you go to a lot of stuff, it's not that surprising that you meet people, is it?

I don't. Those days are long behind me.

Jockice

Quote from: wosl on October 25, 2019, 05:11:04 PM
CaB is refreshingly almost entirely free of name-droppers, but there are two or three who seem to do it somewhat regularly.

I could tell you all sorts of anecdotes about people I know but you undoubtedly don't if you want.

Sebastian Cobb

NJ Uncut

I went to a talk by the Joy Division and New Order drummer last night, who along with Jon Savage were being interviewed about their recent books.

Hope you told Savage off for literally just re-using his screen writing for that JD doc in 2007 I think it was. It was word for word transcriptions off the videos in that fillum!

Oral History my arse, that Fool the World Pixies book is how you do 'em.

jobotic

Not really fair. The story was about Morris thinking Jockice's car was a taxi, not about him inviting him to a star studded dinner party in honour of how wonderful he is.

Now the dinner party I was at last night....

sevendaughters

I was once mistaken for an usher at a funeral by a member of Puressence. This is true.

Jockice

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 28, 2019, 07:35:04 AM
I was once mistaken for an usher at a funeral by a member of Puressence. This is true.

was it James Warblyvoice? Bet he gets asked to sing at funerals all the time.

kalowski

Pretty sure anyone in car in Manchester at night has had Mark E Smith climb in and say "Tek us to fookin' Prestwich."

Jockice

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 25, 2019, 06:41:36 PM
Hope you told Savage off for literally just re-using his screen writing for that JD doc in 2007 I think it was. It was word for word transcriptions off the videos in that fillum!

Oral History my arse, that Fool the World Pixies book is how you do 'em.

Nah, I snubbed him.  A former workmate of mine who was also there said he had a very punchable face.  I didn't even hit him though. That's how little I care about Mr so-called Savage.

Jockice

Quote from: kalowski on October 28, 2019, 08:26:15 AM
Pretty sure anyone in car in Manchester at night has had Mark E Smith climb in and say "Tek us to fookin' Prestwich."

That was only a special time if he left his teeth behind.

Brundle-Fly

Jarv Cocker thinks you're a cunt btw

Joke.

famethrowa

But did he get in and you had more singles and LPs for him to sign but you had to stop short and the records slipped down and it looked like you were grabbing for his crotch and he punched your hands? Who does that??

non capisco

That's word for word what I was saying to Gary Wilmot last night!!!