Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:21:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I missing something?

Started by Butchers Blind, October 25, 2019, 01:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chollis

Endicott

Noonling

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 25, 2019, 01:37:34 PM
So, at work there's this girl who I've been getting along with - jokes, flirty glances, easy conversation, etc.  Then last week she voluntarily gives me her phone number on a post-it note with an x underneath.  We exchange a few messages outside of work - everything is good so far.  Yesterday I decided to ask her to go for a drink after work, she looks at me with a puzzled look, laughs and says, very definitely, no.  She's been avoiding me since.

I'm no expert on the fairer sex but that's just odd, right?

For serious talk on this: It is weird when written down, but I do think its somewhat explainable (bar the puzzled look). "Flirty glances" is so very subjective and jokes and easy conversation are things you have with a friend. An "x" under her number is weird to me, BUT some people do put Xs in everything compulsively as icehaven said. All together it is possible she didn't mean to flirt with you. BUT you would think after being asked out she would realise "Oh wait, that could be misconstrued..." and at least not be puzzled about it.

Otherwise the reason may be:
1) She has a boyfriend/husband that literally everyone in the office but you is aware of.
2) She either thought you were gay or there is such an age gap that she didn't think it possible it could be misconstrued.
3) Literally everyone in the office but you knows she's gay.
4) You've neglected to mention that you were rubbing yourself while you asked.

What actually prompted her to give you her number?  Where you guys chatting about going out at the time?

Post her a single cycling cleat.
failing that
Spread rumours you are the Shah of Jamaica
failing that
Send her a second cleat, but demand the first one back
failing that
Strap pork products and a flashing light to your head and mention you are a hambulance. Do not elaborate further.
failing that
send her this poem
"Winter spreads its dusky cloak
Like a monk preparing his habit
I was once exiled to Stoke
For threatening to spit on a rabbit"
failing that
GOTO 10

checkoutgirl

Quote from: icehaven on October 25, 2019, 01:51:45 PM
she may not even have clocked that it might be construed as flirty

Well she's an idiot then. Giving the opposite sex a phone number on it's own is in the flirt zone. The x just adds to it. Even if she changed her mind she could have made some excuse like I've got a prior engagement to throw him off the scent. Laughing and saying definite no sounds like arsehole behaviour. She's definitely a gameplayer and best avoided. Or she's nuts and best avoided. Or she's clinically stupid and best avoided.

the midnight watch baboon

So, at work there's this girl who I've been getting along with - jokes, flirty glances, easy conversation, etc.  Then last week she voluntarily gives me her phone number on a post-it note with an x underneath.  We exchange a few messages outside of work - everything is good so far.  Yesterday I decided to ask her to go for a drink after work, she looks at me with a puzzled look, laughs and says, very definitely, no.  She's been avoiding me since.

Was it made clear that the drink would be with you? Hmm. If not ask again, see if she fancies a cocktail. Her tail, your cock.

Don't do that it's shit.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on October 25, 2019, 04:21:42 PM
What actually prompted her to give you her number?  Where you guys chatting about going out at the time?

As I said she gave me her number just as she was passing my desk.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 25, 2019, 05:16:38 PM

That doesn't really come across as a platonic thing so I totally get why you're confused.  Be careful as she might be a bit mental.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 25, 2019, 05:16:38 PM

I think that was meant for Brian's in tray

Puce Moment

A. Go full incel and assume she is trying to get some attention and validation without follow-through.

B. Decide that the post-it was a friendly gesture, and very different to going for a drink with just the two of you.

C. Hand in your notice.

pigamus

Quote from: Noonling on October 25, 2019, 03:30:07 PM
3) Literally everyone in the office but you knows she's gay.

This one makes sense.

Dr Rock

What happened between getting the phone number and you asking her for a drink? Some texting? Please post all the texts. Thx.

Zetetic

I often go for drinks with women from work who have no interest in having sex with me, so it might be even worse than you thought.

Very rarely with men, now I think of it.

AllisonSays

I would like more details on her demurral. What kind of a no? Do you think she was ... shy or embarrassed about it, rather than enraged or shocked? I agree with you that it seems strange and I would have read the situation as a definite invitation to ask her out.

Ambient Sheep

Yup, her behaviour seems downright weird to me.

The only thing is, did you ask her in front of anyone? i.e. was there anyone else in earshot?  Maybe she liked the idea but was just so embarrassed about other people knowing (which isn't great either, to be fair) that she turned you down, and now can't face you because of being doubly embarrassed.

Either that or it was, indeed, for a bet.

Either that, or it was someone else's phone number that she gave you (in a "my best friend fancies yewww" way), thinking it would be obvious whose it was, and it's all been a horrible comedic misunderstanding.

Whichever of those, or whatever it turns out to be, it is indeed incredibly "playground".  How old is she, if I may ask?

And yeah, from now on best to just ignore her, unless she sends you a message apologising and giving a credible explanation.  You don't want such people in your life if you can help it.

Dr Rock

So, at work there's this girl who I've been getting along with - jokes, flirty glances, easy conversation, etc.  Then last week she voluntarily gives me her phone number on a post-it note with an x underneath.  We exchange a few messages outside of work, I send her a dick pic - everything is good so far.  Yesterday I decided to ask her to go for a drink after work, she looks at me with a puzzled look, laughs and says, very definitely, no.  She's been avoiding me since.

Wait I think I've spotted it.

Sebastian Cobb

Maybe she meant to just send you a black x as a threat/curse but accidentally used a post it she'd scribbled a number on. Didn't think about that, did you.

Cloud

That's..... bizarre.  It seems reasonable enough to me to take things like her number with an x to be a signal so I can only think of (edit: 4) possibilities

1) She really was just being friendly and the x was compulsive  (really? No one thinks "hmmmm giving the opposite sex my number just like that can be taken as a hint, so adding an x is being quite overt about it"?)

2) You've done something to upset her in the meantime.  Maybe said something a bit creepy or offensive or been seen flirting with someone else or whatever

3) The mythological "female who deliberately leads you on so that she can cancel you / get you fired for some thin definition of sexual harassment" does in fact exist and you should be extremely careful

4) She's some game playing mentalist who is best avoided

Either way she seems fickle.  Avoid.

Malcy

Leave post it notes with her name,number and an x in colleagues drawers/desks and watch mayhem (possibly) unfold. The office will think she's a slag and she'll think twice before doing it again.

Butchers Blind

Ok, I'm told she's not married or seeing anyone and she's not gay.  The one thing though is she apparently came out of a long term relationship two months ago.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

One x on a message means nothing. Nothing.

However I would still have taken that as an invitation to set up a meeting outside work, date or otherwise.

This sort of thing reminds me of my times earlier in life trying to read the runes of women stringing me (and probably others along). Infuriating and baffling. But the only real way to react is to either be calm and dignified or straightforward and upfront.

Dr Rock

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Butchers Blind on October 25, 2019, 06:22:23 PM
Ok, I'm told she's not married or seeing anyone and she's not gay.  The one thing though is she apparently came out of a long term relationship two months ago.

There you go, close thread

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Cloud on October 25, 2019, 05:51:12 PM
That's..... bizarre.  It seems reasonable enough to me to take things like her number with an x to be a signal so I can only think of (edit: 4) possibilities
::
::
3) The mythological "female who deliberately leads you on so that she can cancel you / get you fired for some thin definition of sexual harassment" does in fact exist and you should be extremely careful

4) She's some game playing mentalist who is best avoided

Either way she seems fickle.  Avoid.

Yeah, 3 or 4 are what are worrying me (hence the last sentence of my previous post).

As for this "compulsive x" thing that several people have mentioned; it seems irrelevant to me.  If a woman sneaks you a Post-It note with a number on and no other explanation (like "Here's the number of that plumber you wanted" or "Call me to arrange going to that charity do with Limmy"), it's an invitation to get to know her better on a personal level, x or no x.  The x really doesn't fucking matter, the phone number does.

Then again I guess I might be out of touch.  Back in the day a phone number was an invitation to chat voice.  Nowadays it could just mean "Hit me up on WhatsApp"... is that materially different?  I dunno.

And yeah, whether or not you should post them here I'm not sure, but the content of the texts does seem highly relevant.

Captain Z

Maybe the 'x' was a cross meaning DO NOT USE THIS NUMBER.

Butchers Blind

The texts were just friendly 'how are you' kind of ones. No dick pics. Sorry.

Kryton

As others have asked/said were other people around when you asked her for a drink? Is she shy? Is she mature? Is she nervous? Is she perhaps a player?

I reckon if a lady in the office gave me her number with an X on it, i'd take it as interest too and would be equally confused to be rejected upon asking her out for a drink, if she was just being friendly then it'd probably be more casual/obvious, but i'd have taken it as interest...

Either way, don't let it get to you and don't do anything mental, just be cool and get on with whatever it is you're doing. She might just be shy or a tease or just not aware of giving the wrong signals.

People eh?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

''Hmm, something went wrong with the interaction with a woman, I know, let's check a forum predominantly inhabited by irreversibly phimotic unemployed mentally ill balding media degree failure virgins with agoraphobia and severe depression stemming from childhood bullying''