Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:40:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kanye West - Jesus Is King

Started by Johnny Textface, October 25, 2019, 05:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 26, 2019, 04:35:52 PM
Really Lovely Post

That was a really lovely thing to post, NJ, thank you.

I'm still listening to this over and over. I wish a bit more of Yandhi had been incorporated. There's a whole load of absolutely stunning afrofuturist skyburst prog-hop on there that I wish had made the journey. I wish he had run Kenny G through some of whatever it is that Yandhi came out the other side of.

But I still love it. It's not as wild and weird and unhinged as his best stuff is, not as fat, not as abrasive, but it's still gorgeous. It's a gorgeous, humble record, the same way half of Ye was gorgeous and humble. It complements that album beautifully, I think. It's textured and layered and full-throated. I love it to bits.

sevendaughters

For me I think musically and performance-wise this might be my favourite thing he's done in a while. I didn't think he pulled off the fractured/abrasive/bricolage stuff well at all and since then he's been diminishing returns of self-publicity and hype overshadowing a potential generational talent.

Emotive and plainspoken Kanye has always been my favourite one of his many personas (braggadocious rich guy, thwarted genius, and political Kanye all tied for dead last) and my only real issue can't be measured right now - how sincere this is. If it turns out to be just another bit then I'll disown it, because a guy with expensive producers should be getting his songs to come out competent whatever is being sung over it, but the content has to resonate and feel truthful on some level. I'm not saying everyone should be earnest all the time, when you change hats this often then gravitating to big metaphysical subjects and 'authenticity' needs to be just that.

Head Gardener