Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:05:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The patter about online games just being full of racist 12 year olds has to stop

Started by Thursday, October 25, 2019, 08:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

It's just a bit unfunny and not really true. I mean it probably is actually, I don't know because I only play Destiny where the voice chat is off by default, and it's mainly Dads who play it. But even so, I've seen a couple of people here digging out this gag recently, and it's weird to see, as it became a cliched thing to say back in the times of COD 4: Modern Warfare.

It's just a bit reductive and a bit of a tired unfunny thing to say at this point.

That's all.

Cuellar

It's halfway true but easily avoided. Don't play with randoms, play with friends over Skype or whatever.

Literally never ever played with anyone who has said anything racist or even bad online. I agree, it's shit chat.

By far the worst things I've seen or heard gaming were said by me in my SF4 days but I forgive myself because in fairness they were fuckin scrubs.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 25, 2019, 10:18:29 PM
Literally never ever played with anyone who has said anything racist or even bad online

Oh well that clears it right up!

Just sharing my experience. It obviously happens but I've never experienced it. Probably helps that I don't really play FPS or GaaS (no offence, Thurs) but when I have done, it's always been focused on the game. I also have a pretty authoritative voice and way of speaking so people probably on their best behaviour when I'm in that game.

PlanktonSideburns

replace it with a new lie, like;

these days online is just full of russian ten yearolds trying to get subtitle files for old episodes of minder

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Thursday on October 25, 2019, 08:14:01 PM
It's...not really true. I mean it probably is actually, I don't know
Seems a weird thing to weigh in on, even start a thread about, if you don't know.

Thursday

It wasn't really a very serious thread. I know these people still exist, it was just a bit boring seeing people make this observation recently.

Replies From View

Quote from: Thursday on October 28, 2019, 05:38:45 PM
It wasn't really a very serious thread. I know these people still exist, it was just a bit boring seeing people make this observation recently.

Where would I need to go to encounter anybody making that observation?

Jim Bob

The other day I beat someone at Worms Armageddon online, fair and square.  After the match, this person was angry to have been beaten and proceeded to unload upon me in chat.

"Kill yourself"

"I fucked your whole family"

"You down syndrome little fucking loser piece of shit"

"You have no life"

Just the highlights of this person's witticisms, there.

Mind you, there was nothing racist within their comments and I have no idea how old they were, so I'd agree that the stereotype of the racist 12 year old is unjustified.  Most people are just peachy.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Haha jesus I still enjoy a bit of Worms Armageddon too and haven't encountered anyone like that. Yet.

Back when the Dreamcast was a thing, I was playing Toy Racer in a lobby full of French people. They all started sending me "abusive" messages about Princess Margaret (she'd just had her scalding bath incident). As someone with, at best, utter indifference to the Royal family, I was roaring as their messages became more and more toxic. "I hope your Princess Margaret fucking dies", "Princess Margaret is a whore and so is your fucking Queen", etc.

But the absolute best one was someone trying to take credit for Diana dying in Paris. "Diana RIP. France 1 - 0 Angleterre".

touchingcloth

Do you really believe these racist twelve year olds don't exist? The last time I logged in to play StormFront: Unicorns it was fucking full of them.

Blue Jam

I have never seen any racist patter on Xbox Live, but that's probably because I mostly play randoms at Snooker 19.

I have voice chat off all the time of course. That's a no-brainer.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

samadriel

Thursday

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 29, 2019, 01:27:29 PM
Do you really believe these racist twelve year olds don't exist? The last time I logged in to play StormFront: Unicorns it was fucking full of them.

Again, it's really just about the tiredness of the patter.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Thursday on October 29, 2019, 08:10:55 PM
Again, it's really just about the tiredness of the patter.

It's not patter, that actually happened to me on that game :(

Dex Sawash