Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:37:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Monos (hallucinatory child soldier film)

Started by Twit 2, October 26, 2019, 11:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

https://youtu.be/disclpVzoMQ

I'm in on the basis of a Mica Levi score alone, but this has been getting pant-shitting reviews from all and sundry so may be a right belter.

Mister Six

Well it's a cracking trailer at the very least.

greenman

The "rising tone of alert" is a little bit clichéd but it doe slook good.

Puce Moment

Just saw it in the tiny room in the Bloomsbury Curzon. 6 walk-outs. I deliberately avoided reading or seeing anything about this film, and you should as well.

I loved it.

I can't wait for this, as a form advocate of Mica and the Dhapes first album Jewelry alone.

Glebe

I didn't know Mica Levi did the score for this, then saw Mark Kermode mention it on the BBC Film Review last night, that's further perked my interest.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Misspent Boners on October 27, 2019, 07:28:12 PM
I can't wait for this, as a form advocate of Mica and the Dhapes first album Jewelry alone.

Absolute classic. I wish she would do another Shapes type album, but she's a busy woman.

Quote from: Misspent Boners on October 27, 2019, 07:28:12 PM
I can't wait for this, as a firm advocate of Mica and the Shapes first album Jewelry alone.

Is what I meant to say disregarding the atrocious drunk spelling

Blinder Data

This was brilliant. Just a great piece of work, every aspect of it was on point. For such an otherworldly and capricious film, I felt like I was in careful hands all the way through. A testament to the director's storytelling chops.

It must have been a crazy production. One of those films where you're watching it thinking: "How the hell did they manage that?". The score was fantastic but not nearly as memorable or stand-out as Under the Skin's (not a criticism, necessarily).

There were some distractions: Bigfoot is the spit of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and Dog reminded me of Ash Sarkar. And I know Lord of the Flies is an inevitable touchstone but I could have done without the pig's head on a stick.

RE: final shot & dialogue, in other films I would have accused it of being too on-the-nose but I was with them the whole way. It totally merited a statement of that kind.

Best film I've seen this year probs

Twit 2

Quote from: Misspent Boners on October 28, 2019, 10:42:14 AM
Is what I meant to say disregarding the atrocious drunk spelling

And that's still not the actual band name!

Twit 2

Just seen this in the cinema.

Absolutely stonking. Delivered on the promise of the trailer, and then some. Every element was spot on. Visceral, sensuous, hallucinatory (in the subtle, unnerving way that something like Midsommar was), absurd, disturbing, harrowing, touching. This film had everything, and it was all done with assured control, subtlety and genuine arresting originality.

I may write more at some point but I came out reeling and it's going to stay with me.

Tempted to say this is a masterpiece. If nothing else, it's terrifically entertaining and engaging. If it's on near you, get the fuck on it.

This is now available through illegitimate means. Watched it on new years day and loved the fucker. The lack of any solid information about the setting and what's going on is incredibly effective in this film I think...at times I felt like it was a battle on a lush and fantastical almost-Earth, and at others a bleak post apocalyptic warfront...and then you would see a news story or hint at the outside world that would imply something way more real and think that there are probably (to some extent) people out there living an existence akin to the Monos gang.

Loads of lush imagery, making it feel like like the Monos kids are both in heaven and hell all at once. As mentioned the soundtrack although great doesn't have as much of an identity as Under the Skin.

I think this film will really appeal to a lot of people on this forum and I would urge people to experience it now that it's become more widely available...I watched it via one of those apps where u can stream torrents for films off of.

Peru

I thought the Levi score was excellent, but was left totally nonplussed by the film itself. There was nothing to set it apart from superior progenitors (Herzog, Klimov et al) and the elliptical stuff just came off to me as a series of empty gestures. It gives a serious-faced impression of being about something but it felt ultimately like an exercise in style without any serious philosophical or thematic weight. I was well looking forward to it as well.

Twit 2

Small Man Big Horse

I watched this last night and thought it was pretty stunning, visually it's just outstanding material and it kept me captivated throughout, though it's an odd piece where bar two of the characters I didn't really care who lived or died and actively wanted some of them to be killed off (though I tend to have feelings like that towards children in general). I did find the ending to be slightly unsatisfying, and wanted a little more from it, but overall it's an amazing piece of cinema and one which I'll no doubt mull over for a fair old while.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Johnny Textface

This is on Netflix now and it's a belter. Go in dry.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Peru on January 05, 2020, 09:06:30 AM
I thought the Levi score was excellent, but was left totally nonplussed by the film itself. There was nothing to set it apart from superior progenitors (Herzog, Klimov et al) and the elliptical stuff just came off to me as a series of empty gestures. It gives a serious-faced impression of being about something but it felt ultimately like an exercise in style without any serious philosophical or thematic weight. I was well looking forward to it as well.

I agree with this