Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:02:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What're you cunts listening to?

Started by NJ Uncut, October 26, 2019, 07:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJ Uncut

Give this the customary ten pages eg Baz, that Glimpse thread's doin alright

Me?

Well "Spooky"

Format of the above is the below with square brackets
{url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABCD12345}{img}album cover URL{/img}{/url}

Egyptian Feast

A bunch of records I preordered months back showed up today, so I've been getting through them. Currently listening to Ariel Pink's Underground, which I hadn't heard before. They had it on sale the first time I saw him (around the time Before Today came out, whenever that was), but only on 8-track cartridge. It's good, but I preferred the other LP of his that turned up, Oddities Sodomies Vol 2, on first listen.

Earlier I was listening to the fancy new reissue of The Fall's Hex Enduction Hour with accompanying 7" of 'Look Know/I'm Into C.B.', which I'm not sure I even remember ordering. Maybe a pissed birthday gift to self. A perfect soundtrack to a particularly shite and dreary morning.

It's been a pretty good day so far.

non capisco

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4Ae7GE5dAFqDnqi4wB01go?si=H8LX7JycS6iuP0OUbr82Hg

^ Those things. Playlist of a load of songs I like. It will grow and evolve. Jump aboard if you can be arsed.

DrGreggles

A Cherry Red compilation called 'Electrical Language: Independent British Synth Pop 78-84'.

McChesney Duntz

The (mostly) seventies satellite station that plays 24/7 at my workplace. Most of it I have no real problem with, if only due to the pleasant low-grade nostalgia buzz that attends the stuff that was on the radio when I were a sprout, but goddamned if fucking "Tonight's the Night" (Rod, not Neil) doesn't get creepier and cringier EVERY FUCKING TIME I HEAR IT.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 26, 2019, 09:04:28 PM
A Cherry Red compilation called 'Electrical Language: Independent British Synth Pop 78-84'.

That does look impressive. Must investigate. (Hope Cherry Red had the sense to include the version of "Circus of Death" with the wonderfully deadpan-ridiculous spoken intro.)

Twit 2

I always go through a bit of a Black Metal phase at this time of year so:

Drudkh
Winterfylleth
Deafheaven
Wolves in the Throne Room etc

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 26, 2019, 09:10:25 PM
That does look impressive. Must investigate. (Hope Cherry Red had the sense to include the version of "Circus of Death" with the wonderfully deadpan-ridiculous spoken intro.)

the 'sister' album looks to be drawn from the same cellar.... some more of my mates on it (shreeve, nagle &c), but still no sign of pete shelley's "sky yen", which is a serious omission.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/close-to-the-noise-floor-formative-uk-electronica-1975-1984/

still, I might have to order the both.

Sebastian Cobb

I had Dusty in Memphis on last night, seeing as it's relevant.

SAULT, Santigold, Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark and Bill Withers first two LP's are all in heavy rotation at the minute.

The latter two are becoming goto's for cooking.

Oh and Pretty Hate Machine after Mary Anne Hobbs played Head Like a Hole the other day.

holyzombiejesus

Christ, how many times do people need to be told not to start these shitty fucking list threads?

Twit 2

Camp Tramp

Apparition by Stealing Sheep has just entered my playlist.
Needs the video for full effect.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 26, 2019, 11:21:18 PM
Christ, how many times do people need to be told not to start these shitty fucking list threads?

There are hoards of albums I haven't bothered to discuss here because people like you keep stomping on list threads.

It is a myth that killing them results in more threads. I just go elsewhere.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 27, 2019, 12:19:01 AM
There are hoards of albums I haven't bothered to discuss here because people like you the person who owns the site diesn't want them, for good reason keep stomping on list threads.

Some really interesting discussion in this thread. Scintillating stuff. Well done lads.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 27, 2019, 12:36:30 AM
Some really interesting discussion in this thread. Scintillating stuff. Well done lads.

I seem to remember barry tolerating them until several people stomped their feet.

holyzombiejesus

Then you remember wrong. He posted a message just the other day asking people to start more threads on specific subjects and has banned someone in the last 12 months for basically sticking up two fingers to him and repeatedly starting 'what are you listening to' list threads, but people still persists in starting them. Read this thread back; what a load of shit.

Sebastian Cobb

I find it very hard to believe you're doing this out of altrusim. I think it's more of a case that your personal preferences happen to align with it.

I don't create lists because that's barry's wish, but that doesn't mean I agree with their banishing and I find oscillations less enjoyable because of them.

holyzombiejesus

Well post your lists in your other place then, I'm sure there are lots of other sites where people can tediously list what they've recently played without comment or discussion. However, it's been quite clearly stated that they're not wanted here. I do agree with that decision but I'd find it extremely irritating that people consistently ignore that guidance even if I liked dull lists of whatever people have played that day. There's a post above where it doesn't even mention an artist, just a link to a spotify playlist. What a waste of space. It's a fucking disgrace.

Johnboy

i was quite pleased to discover that spotify playlist

i've been listening to the second suicide album and andromeda heights by prefab sprout (today)

Ferris

The Mountain Goats. Mainly the newer ones but the lo-fi '90s stuff is getting some fairly serious play also. That, and Nick Cave.

Hundhoon

im surprised as to how good the last Chemical Brothers album was.
they were one of those mind blowing acts  in the 1990s that went inexplicably  shit quickly in the noughties 

their last album released this year is an absolute stomper, really hard pounding beats, i gave up on them in like 2005,  but yeah massive return to form on their past couple of albums

alan nagsworth

The issue is that above all else even if there's two or three concurrent posts of discussion of anything mentioned in these threads, it's not only jumbled annoyingly in with a load of other stuff, but it's also quickly buried pages back. People aren't going back more than five pages of these threads to soak everything up, it makes no sense to lump everything together like this. What's more, why is it so difficult to start a new thread about some music you like? If you've got something to say about it then it deserves its own little space on the subforum, nicely labelled and easier to find. If you don't have anything to say and you just want to say the name of something then there's very little point in posting that at all.

Can't believe we're having to explain this shite again.

QuoteWhat're you cunts listening to?

Chart Music podcast gets new opening line.

I've been immersed in Jamaican 70s dub for several weeks; King Tubby, Lee 'Scratch' Perry, Augustus Pablo, Scientist. The 'Abbey Road' out-takes disc has had more plays in my cat* than I gave the 'Sgt Pepper' one. Ringo's drums alone are worth the price.

*Typo. Leaving it in.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Hundhoon on October 27, 2019, 05:13:05 AM
im surprised as to how good the last Chemical Brothers album was.
they were one of those mind blowing acts  in the 1990s that went inexplicably  shit quickly in the noughties 

their last album released this year is an absolute stomper, really hard pounding beats, i gave up on them in like 2005,  but yeah massive return to form on their past couple of albums

Oh yeah, I put that on when it came out idly, half ignoring it. Thought nowt to it, then caught myself humming something from it. On again it went, a proper grower, everything I thought I wanted is actually there, the turnaround from that first unarsed listen has been huge!

DrGreggles

When was 'Surrender'?
Haven't heard their new album, but that was the last one of theirs that I liked.

non capisco

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 27, 2019, 12:57:43 AM
There's a post above where it doesn't even mention an artist, just a link to a spotify playlist. What a waste of space. It's a fucking disgrace.

"Fucking disgrace" is a tad hysterical but I take your point. This thread coincided with me having an evening in getting excited about the back channels of my gargantuan Spotify 'liked songs' list, just putting it on shuffle and chucking whatever came up that was good into a long playlist for work. It was literally what this cunt was listening to, right then. My sincere enthusiasm for music in the moment made me a dullard in your eyes, whaddayagonnado? I'd kind of forgotten about the 'no list threads' thing, tbh.

Funcrusher

Well I discovered that there's a new Floating Points album through this thread.

grassbath

yxngxrl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG5W7u47OZs

Never listen to stuff like this - spose you'd call it SoundCloud rap - but YouTube served it up suddenly this evening and it looked like such an anomaly in my recs that I clicked on it, and for some reason in my fragile comedown state it's exactly what I need. I just love the relaxed, downbeat, slightly melancholy vibe. And the video.