Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:52:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Back covers, inners and gatefolds: the terrible, the beautiful, the bizarre.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, October 27, 2019, 11:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb the anus burn

Yet another music design thread to accompany:

i.) Terrible Album Covers
ii.) Great 7" single / ep sleeves
iii.) Great album covers

This time celebrating (or demolishing) gatefolds, inners, label centres and reverse sleeves.

I'll start off with:

Love Devotion Surrender: an album from 1973 by Carlos Santana & John 'Mahavishnu' McLaughlin, which contains some sultry guitar duels...

It has a reasonable cover.

But the gatefold and reverse shots are terrible.

John and Carlos look like guest villains in the New Avengers.... Soon to be dispatched by Purdey & Gambit before Steed comes in to take on the Guru - who seems to be wearing a futuristic Uniqlo-style padded jacket in 1973 - nice 'n' toasty as his guitarist henchmen freeze their fucking fingers off...

BlodwynPig

Most Wanted: Annexus Quam - Osmose

Most Stuffed: Glastonbury Fayre 3LP

Most Favourite Design: Hawkwind - X In Search of Space

Absorb the anus burn

Zeke Manyika (of Orange Juice and The The) used this fantastic inner sleeve collage for one of his solo LPs.

n

Absorb the anus burn

Gatefold of 10cc's How Dare You!

Nine art prints to accompany Faust's So Far (the one with the jet black sleeve)

kngen

NoSleep

Santana - Lotus: triple live album that was only available in Japan when it was originally released:

NoSleep

Space Hymns - Ramases

Factoid: the four musicians backing Ramases on this album would go on to become 10cc.

NoSleep

greenman

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on October 27, 2019, 11:59:08 AM
Yet another music design thread to accompany:

i.) Terrible Album Covers
ii.) Great 7" single / ep sleeves
iii.) Great album covers

This time celebrating (or demolishing) gatefolds, inners, label centres and reverse sleeves.

I'll start off with:

Love Devotion Surrender: an album from 1973 by Carlos Santana & John 'Mahavishnu' McLaughlin, which contains some sultry guitar duels...

It has a reasonable cover.

But the gatefold and reverse shots are terrible.

John and Carlos look like guest villains in the New Avengers.... Soon to be dispatched by Purdey & Gambit before Steed comes in to take on the Guru - who seems to be wearing a futuristic Uniqlo-style padded jacket in 1973 - nice 'n' toasty as his guitarist henchmen freeze their fucking fingers off...

Acknowledgement
Resolution
Reverse Leg Sweep
Psalm to Syed Kirmani

BlodwynPig

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on October 27, 2019, 12:17:45 PM

meh.

The album isn't that good but I should have bought it anyway back in the day (never opened up the gatefold - damn!)

BlodwynPig

kngen

Bay City Rollers - Once Upon A Star (the tabs at the top could be pulled out to reveal a lovely big pic of your fave Roller)

This was the first record I ever really remember engaging with (prob about 3 or 4 years old). I remember being disappointed that not every LP would offer such user-friendly features (although I gravitated to Dark Side of the Moon soon after, and its gatefold was mysterious and alluring enough to wean me off the Rollers for a good while).

Absorb the anus burn

Pauline Walnuts

The inner sleeves of Wings Over America, by only the band The Beatles could have been, Wings.

chveik

Brundle-Fly

kalowski

Quote from: kngen on October 27, 2019, 02:54:19 PM
Isaac Hayes - Black Moses. You've got to admire his chutzpah.

My dad has this. I used to love unfolding it and thinking "who the fuck is Isaac Hayes?"
So cool.

kalowski

Pauline Walnuts

We've all seen this one:

Fine, but better inner:

But the real money shot is the poster:

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

NoSleep

Faust's debut album pressed on transparent vinyl in a transparent sleeve.

Brundle-Fly

Moondog by Moondog (1969)

Bought this pricey gatefold LP at Camden Record Fair back in the '90s without knowing of the artist or hearing a note. I had to possess this thing of wonder. It met my expectations.

Rizla

Surprised no-one's mentioned Monty Python's Instant Record Collection, which folds out into a cube. The titles on the spines are good, Arthur Hodgson and the Kneecaps, Bing Sings!, Bing Goes Boing!, Boing Goes Bing! etc.

a duncandisorderly

re the peter gabriel- can we have one of these threads with no hypgnosis crap in it? ta.