Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:14:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Back covers, inners and gatefolds: the terrible, the beautiful, the bizarre.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, October 27, 2019, 11:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pauline Walnuts

alan nagsworth

The CD version of Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? by Of Montreal is gorgeous. It's a shame the vinyl isn't the same style whatsoever because it would look even better in a larger format.

Egyptian Feast

I love that case. It was such a delight opening it for the first time, not expecting that. The absolutely ridiculous sleeve-poster-thing for Skeletal Lamping deserves a mention here also, pain in the arse though it is to get to the CD. In both cases, the LP version isn't quite as interesting.

Now nobody seems to like CDs anymore, we're less likely to see such creativity with the packaging, like that lovely Peeping Tom case that slid out one side when you pulled the other and the exotic lady in the keyhole on the cover was replaced with a sinister eye.

Cold Meat Platter

Glebe

H-O-W-L

Not very special in design but I think the War of the Worlds album has always had downright beautifully done art:

There's more but I won't post them all.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on November 05, 2019, 12:28:47 AM
I love that case. It was such a delight opening it for the first time, not expecting that. The absolutely ridiculous sleeve-poster-thing for Skeletal Lamping deserves a mention here also, pain in the arse though it is to get to the CD. In both cases, the LP version isn't quite as interesting.

Now nobody seems to like CDs anymore, we're less likely to see such creativity with the packaging, like that lovely Peeping Tom case that slid out one side when you pulled the other and the exotic lady in the keyhole on the cover was replaced with a sinister eye.

I have a copy of Skeletal Lamping! I got it second hand for a few quid, but the outer sleeve is ripped and it's a bit knackered looking. I see it rare then?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 05, 2019, 07:47:44 AM
I have a copy of Skeletal Lamping! I got it second hand for a few quid, but the outer sleeve is ripped and it's a bit knackered looking. I see it rare then?

Not at all, sadly. It's an easy one to find really cheap, like a lot of their back catalogue (I got that Hissing Fauna CD for pennies). Even the vinyl versions tend to be very reasonably priced, so I've doubled up on a few favourites just for the larger artwork, like the freaky booklet with False Priest (which also deserves a mention here, come to think of it).

I own three copies of Skeletal Lamping now (the first two had a skip during exactly the same section of 'Plastis Wafer', so I bit the bullet and bought a new copy, by which time the second started playing OK again, so that isn't even out of its shrink-wrapping), but all in all I've only spent about a tenner on it and I could potentially frame one to deter visitors if I could handle looking at it all the time.

I haven't yet come across copies of the alternative formats it was released in - t-shirts, button sets, wall decals and lampshades. I can't think of another album that's been released as a lampshade.

alan nagsworth

idunnosomename

Gatefold on War of the Worlds is Horsell Common of course

dunk dadunk dada dunk dadunk

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 05, 2019, 09:24:37 AM
I think some of Ed Gein's best work was released as a lampshade!

Sadly, the nipple belt edition sold out too quickly and the scalpers were asking too much for it on eBay.

olliebean

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 05, 2019, 12:53:54 AM

The gatefold for Bathory's seminal Blood Fire Death album. 1988.

Honestly thought for a moment that was a Spinal Tab album I'd not seen before.

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 05, 2019, 07:46:42 AM
Not very special in design but I think the War of the Worlds album has always had downright beautifully done art:

There's more but I won't post them all.

Listened to this often as a kid in the early 80s, the artwork really made it for me. There was so much detail you could get lost in it whilst listening to the whole LP.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 05, 2019, 11:58:53 AM
Listened to this often as a kid in the early 80s, the artwork really made it for me. There was so much detail you could get lost in it whilst listening to the whole LP.

I was always glad back in the day during the original run of live shows that a lot of the on-screen visuals for songs were just slow pans over the LP art.

Brundle-Fly

Super Furry Animals - Phantom Phorce (2003) (SFA Phantom Power album remix) 1980's cabinet video game origami gimmick was mint and skill. CDS in disguise!

Rizla

Pauline Walnuts

I bought a copy of the first Family album the other day, and someone had replaced the inner with this.

The Rolling Stones, the premier Teen Beat group.

NoSleep

Die Todliche Doris released an album on miniature toy records supplied with a toy record player to listen to them:

boki

jobotic

Think mine has faded in the sun.

Just saw Sonic Death cassette by Sonic Youth on discogs for £35 though. Are those prices realistic?

famethrowa

phantom_power

I bought Divers by Joanna Newsom on vinyl the other day and each song has its own glossy picture with the lyrics on the back. Which is nice

https://genius.com/Joanna-newsom-divers-booklet-annotated

Epic Bisto

I'll try and add some of my favourites when I'm ready but I'm so glad that the Tres Hombres gatefold got mentioned.  I used to gaze at that as a kid and wished my mum would make us some tea like that.  Not an oven chip to be seen...

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on October 27, 2019, 11:59:08 AM

Astonishing.   Are these pictures taken when Philip Madoc signed his family up for the foreign exchange student program?

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 03, 2019, 08:29:08 PM
This is gorgeous. Gil Melle's The Andromeda Strain OST 

The 'inspiration' for Add N to X 'Little Black Rocks In The Sun':

kalowski

Glebe