Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Disgraced wankbeast announces worldwide tour

Started by Petey Pate, October 28, 2019, 12:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 29, 2019, 02:37:58 PM
Can I just check what people think should have happened to Louis CK after the various misjudgements and repeated unacceptable behaviour?

Versus, say, public masturbator and drink driver George Michael, who when he carked it people couldn't fall over themselves fast enough to obfuscate those or euphemistically refer to 'troubled periods' ?

The "crimes" aren't comparable; Michael seemed a much kinder and more decent person; Michael's manager didn't spend years trying to ruin the careers of people who were going to speak out against him. Etc.

Dr Rock

QuoteCan I just check what people think should have happened to Louis CK after the various misjudgements and repeated unacceptable behaviour?

In my opinion, a self-imposed two years off would have been satisfactory.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 28, 2019, 12:07:42 AM
Obviously the man still has a paying audience.

Of course he does. Did you not hear that bootlegged audio from that surprise gig he did was it earlier this year? The crowd went mad when he came on. Although it's a weird spot for an audience member to be put in and I'm not sure what I would have done in the same situation. Would I have walked out in disgust? Or would I have been too curious about what he was going to do and stuck around?

It's a strange one. If a flasher was jailed and did his time, when he got out most people would say it's okay for him to get a job and piece his life back together. But if you're a famous comedian some people think you can never express yourself ever again. There's no rhyme or reason that I can see.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 29, 2019, 03:54:51 PM
The "crimes" aren't comparable; Michael seemed a much kinder and more decent person; Michael's manager didn't spend years trying to ruin the careers of people who were going to speak out against him. Etc.

Indeed, and I would've thought that was obvious. Michael sexing in a public lavatory or drunkenly crashing his car into a branch of Snappy Snaps doesn't compare to what CK did. The Last Christmas hitmaker seemed like a nice fella who drank and drugged too much, whereas CK has shown himself to be a serial sex offender. Apples and oranges.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 29, 2019, 03:54:51 PM

Where was it reported that Dave Becky did that? I recall one of the women saying that he was keen for it not to be spoken about, as in he was embarrassed by it, but not that he did anything to sabotage anyone. Maybe I missed something.

idunnosomename

George Michael I suppose did go to prison for his crimes. CK has never gotten charged with anything, has he? It's like he got away scott free. Well he lost his second gig voicing a cartoon dog I suppose.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 29, 2019, 02:37:58 PM
Can I just check what people think should have happened to Louis CK after the various misjudgements and repeated unacceptable behaviour?

Community service. Watch someone wank for 1000 hours cumulative, someone who wants it (not necessarily the same someone each time). Timed from first tug to cum. No twosies, once you cum you've had the fun, even if there's more gunge in the tank

Blinder Data

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 29, 2019, 04:36:14 PM
Indeed, and I would've thought that was obvious. Michael sexing in a public lavatory or drunkenly crashing his car into a branch of Snappy Snaps doesn't compare to what CK did. The Last Christmas hitmaker seemed like a nice fella who drank and drugged too much, whereas CK has shown himself to be a serial sex offender. Apples and oranges.

Hmmmmm. I'm not sure I agree. George Michael easily could've killed someone due to his lack of care and thought over his driving behaviour. Not defending Louis CK (and I bloody LOVE George Michael, btw) but for me that's not a strong line of argument.

I would like to hear these tales of Louis CK's manager pressurising women as I haven't seen that. I'm not sure where I stand on CK these days. His past material that I loved has been irreparably tainted and this "FU SJWs" material he's been doing makes him sound unrepentant and deeply unpleasant. I'm not sure I'd go see him or describe myself as a fan nowadays, but what is supposed to happen to the #metood? If they go to prison, can they be forgiven then? Are their crimes ever forgivable? Some Hollywoo stars have literally gotten away with murder and we're happy enough with them

Mister Six

Neither one is good but being involved in a drunk-driving incident - even one that ends in a crash - is less egregious a crime than sexually abusing several (dozens of?) women over the course of several decades, lying when outed and then, instead of keeping a low profile, laughing it off and trying to carry on as before.

(And wasn't there an accusation that he or a crony had tried to squash his accusers' careers?)

It's total false equivalence, and as absurd as demanding that all crimes be punished equally by the courts. Not sure why Shoulders would even venture the argument.

Dr Rock

Twed

Mister Six

That doesn't change anything in my eyes.

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 29, 2019, 05:23:21 PM
I'm not sure I'd go see him or describe myself as a fan nowadays, but what is supposed to happen to the #metood? If they go to prison, can they be forgiven then? Are their crimes ever forgivable? Some Hollywoo stars have literally gotten away with murder and we're happy enough with them

At the very least if - like CK - they are unrepentant serial predators, they shouldn't be put back in the situation that they were in when they exploited their power.

I'd be fine with him - as suggested - fucking off and stacking shelves in a garden centre for the rest of his natural (provided he wasn't left alone with female co-workers). He doesn't have a right to be a highly paid globetrotting celebrity and I'd be quite happy if that door was shut off to him (although since has an audience that doesn't seem likely).

markburgle

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 29, 2019, 05:11:52 PM
George Michael I suppose did go to prison for his crimes. CK has never gotten charged with anything, has he? It's like he got away scott free. Well he lost his second gig voicing a cartoon dog I suppose.

CK may not have been punished by the legal system, but he went from being one of the most beloved and acclaimed comedians of our time to a pariah, and lost millions of dollars in the process (I'm sure I heard the figure 30 million somewhere?). So "scott free" isn't accurate. The difference is more that because GM did go through the legal system and was sentenced, it's easier for people to quantify the debt he owed to society and to feel comfortable that he paid it.

markburgle

Quote from: Mister Six on October 29, 2019, 05:42:09 PM
...and then, instead of keeping a low profile, laughing it off and trying to carry on as before.

Not arguing with anything else you said but he did keep a low profile for two years.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 29, 2019, 05:11:52 PM

To be fair, I don't know if he even could have gone to prison for anything he did. Unless I'm misremembering something, he didn't break any laws.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 29, 2019, 04:24:41 PM
In my opinion, a self-imposed two years off would have been satisfactory.
Essentially this. Not just half a year's holiday.

Quote from: markburgle on October 29, 2019, 07:24:39 PM
Not arguing with anything else you said but he did keep a low profile for two years.

9 months

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on October 29, 2019, 07:36:18 PM
9 months

I think what he means is that this is his first deliberate step back into the public eye. The other gigs (even the one which got a lot of attention) would be considered pretty low-profile for someone of his notoriety - barely announced, not promoted, smaller venues etc.

Bronzy

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 29, 2019, 07:39:32 PM
I think what he means is that this is his first deliberate step back into the public eye. The other gigs (even the one which got a lot of attention) would be considered pretty low-profile for someone of his notoriety - barely announced, not promoted, smaller venues etc.

'Low profile', for someone of his notoriety, would be not gigging at all. If he was trying to keep a low profile he failed miserably. He's outed himself as not being a particularly smart or savvy person

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Mister Six on October 29, 2019, 05:42:09 PM
Neither one is good but being involved in a drunk-driving incident - even one that ends in a crash - is less egregious a crime than sexually abusing several (dozens of?) women over the course of several decades, lying when outed and then, instead of keeping a low profile, laughing it off and trying to carry on as before.

(And wasn't there an accusation that he or a crony had tried to squash his accusers' careers?)

It's total false equivalence, and as absurd as demanding that all crimes be punished equally by the courts. Not sure why Shoulders would even venture the argument.

It wasn't offered as an equivalence, it was offered as a comparison, a distinction which you are easily bright enough to understand. I am not hung up on it being compared to George Michael specifically either.

As we are on the topic anyway, in my opinion 'but George Michael did all those things while on drugs' doesn't seem a very good basis on which to say his crimes were clearly less severe. That makes them worse. From what we know his lifestyle on a consumer level helped fund people trafficking and gangs and endangered the lives of other people near to him when he was driving, which is extraordinarily selfish, regardless of what his political opinions are or what charity work he got up to.

As far as I'm aware, the specifics of the misdemeanours of Louis CK are that he exposed himself and wanked around other people despite not being invited to and on a few occasions continued despite being asked to stop. Which appears to have been done in a dangerously assumptive hinterland between supposed 'banter' and flirting. (Banterland?) Correct?

The point is being missed anyway. It is not to say what Louis CK did was good, it is simply to shine a light on how far people will attack one person, then defend essentially amoral dangerous behaviour of another person if the second person was normally a good sort and/or had a track record of mental health problems.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 29, 2019, 07:34:23 PM
To be fair, I don't know if he even could have gone to prison for anything he did. Unless I'm misremembering something, he didn't break any laws.
i dont know, honestly.
He pushed "consent" very far and i reckon someone could bring something, but it's not worth taking him to court considering how well the Weinstein case is going

poodlefaker

Quote from: Mister Six on October 29, 2019, 05:48:17 PM
I'd be fine with him - as suggested - fucking off and stacking shelves in a garden centre for the rest of his natural (provided he wasn't left alone with female co-workers).

I see that ginger nonce down the garden centre I swear I'll do time

Jim Bob

All I know is that if I was remorseful and attempting to keep a low profile, the first thing I'd do is announce a comeback tour.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 29, 2019, 07:34:23 PM

Of course he broke laws. If people pressed charges then a custodial sentence would be quite possible. Indecent exposure is a crime.

And comparing it to George Michael's legal issues is a distraction. The trouble with CK is he was never legally punished and in that punishment vacuum everyone is arbitrarily making up their own version of what should happen to him.

This is tied up with his main profession where he gets a microphone and a platform to communicate thoughts and ideas to many people. Also his stage persona was often wilfully unpleasant and nasty which can work quite well as long as you are unaware of him being nasty in real life.

Richard Pryor is a comparison I keep going back to. Nobody seems to care he hit women or was a drug crazed violent lunatuc at times. Sure, the shooting his car bit is very funny but imagine being there at the time. You'd be scared shitless.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on October 29, 2019, 07:45:15 PM
'Low profile', for someone of his notoriety, would be not gigging at all.

Again, arbitrary. I say for a world famous comedian "Low profile" could be construed as doing no TV, film, radio or live gigs for a few months followed by a couple of one off stand up gigs in small venues followed by another 10 months of fuck all.

BritishHobo

In an ideal world he'd just be shunned from the comedy world. He sexually assaulted several female comedians who then spent years being doubted and harassed for speaking up. When it was all finally admitted to, that should have been a HUGE moment of 'ah shit, we really should be listening to people on things like this'. Instead he's briefly bowed his head, and then just gone back to gigging while hugely successful comedians like Dave Chapelle defend him to massive audiences while trying to argue it's a tough time to be a non-PC man in Hollywood.

Bollocks to it all.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 30, 2019, 10:20:50 AM
Again, arbitrary. I say for a world famous comedian "Low profile" could be construed as doing no TV, film, radio or live gigs for a few months followed by a couple of one off stand up gigs in small venues followed by another 10 months of fuck all.

Er, not really. Not if you were a major headline scandal story before the absence. There are specifics to this that can't be waved away. And besides, you're talking in hypotheticals whereas I'm talking about what he actually did in reality, and the massive amount of attention we know that it generated

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 30, 2019, 11:07:42 AM
In an ideal world he'd just be shunned from the comedy world. He sexually assaulted several female comedians who then spent years being doubted and harassed for speaking up. When it was all finally admitted to, that should have been a HUGE moment of 'ah shit, we really should be listening to people on things like this'. Instead he's briefly bowed his head, and then just gone back to gigging while hugely successful comedians like Dave Chapelle defend him to massive audiences while trying to argue it's a tough time to be a non-PC man in Hollywood.

Bollocks to it all.

On the other, people do tend to forgive and move on.