Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Fall - Jonathan Glazer Short, Available On iPlayer

Started by DukeDeMondo, October 28, 2019, 02:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

Jonathan Glazer has made a short film for the BBC. Mica Levi's involved. It's called The Fall. You can see it here.

It's only wee, only a few minutes long, but it is fucking hellish. A horror of a thing.

Apparently it was aired with no warning and with no credits just after The Americas With Simon Reeves and right before Live At The Apollo. I love that. Something very Ghostwatch about it. Very Max Headroom Broadcast Signal Intrusion. Unsuspecting viewers confronted with a load of what the fuck is this, now, out of nowhere all of a sudden. Rare. Rare that a thing like that can happen these days.

Put me in mind of Onibaba some way, the film. Fine, like, I like Onibaba. Looks oddly like stop motion animation here and there, too, and that's also fine, I like stop motion animation. I watched Isle Of Dogs last night with the wee girl in my life. Absolutely fucking brilliant, Isle Of Dogs.

But then it also brought to mind the kinds of images I have to look at for my work every so often, and on a day when I'd deliberately avoided doing any work for I didn't want to look at those sorts of things or think about them. Those photos you see sometimes of men and women stood grinning at the feet of men or women they've lynched only moments before. Or maybe ones gathered about a necklacing. Or perhaps that photo that George Bataille kept in his desk. Wrote about it in Tears Of Eros. You know the one, maybe. 

Whatever one of those. Or all of them. Whole bunch of bloated faces and blackened limbs and children on shoulders all moiling away in the muck between my ears. This all over the head of it.

Here's an article about it from The Guardian.

I think it's good. For all that it is. Good. It's only wee. Only one thing happens, really. But it grabs that one thing with both hands alright.

Probably time to stop calling things The Fall, though. Probably we have enough things called The Fall now. Time to think about calling things something else.

PlanktonSideburns

Cheers for the heads up on this, will get it down me

Don't know if it's your sort of thing,  but rick alverson's new thing, the mountain appeared of video on demand recently, would love to hear your take one it Duke, can't make my mind up about it

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Was he waiting to drop this until the very same day that the Western media were collectively wetting themselves in joy over the violent murder of a foreign enemy?

Brundle-Fly

greenman

"Not inline with our product vision" say Cadburys?

Still not much info on his holocaust film due out next year.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on October 28, 2019, 06:14:01 AM
Don't know if it's your sort of thing,  but rick alverson's new thing, the mountain appeared of video on demand recently, would love to hear your take one it Duke, can't make my mind up about it

Well his previous two films have been absolutely my sort of thing, I loved both of them (with some reservations in the case of Entertainment) and I've heard from our own Noodle Lizard and others that this one, if not quite as good as those last two, is at least strange and slippery enough of a thing to sit comfortably alongside the pair, so I'll be seeing it sometime shortly for sure.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 28, 2019, 02:07:09 PM
Was he waiting to drop this until the very same day that the Western media were collectively wetting themselves in joy over the violent murder of a foreign enemy?

I'm not sure if that was a deliberate pun or not. It's a good one, anyway.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 28, 2019, 07:21:14 AM
Fucking hell

BBC scheduling do something interesting?

Yeah, that surprised me too. I wish the actual film had caught me by surprise when it was broadcast, but it didn't, because who watches live TV any more, except maybe The Chase at supper time if you haven't already eaten your supper by the time Tipping Point's all spent.

But it does beg the question: is this sort of thing a regular occurrence and we just aren't aware of it for we're all watching things online after the fact and have no idea what's being broadcast in the interstices? Maybe these sorts of playful or confrontational programming decisions are being made all the time. I wouldn't have known about this had someone not posted something about it on Facebook.

If Jonathan Glazer throws somebody down a well and nobody hears it...

Puce Moment

Goya, Brecht, Trump. Mica Levi soundtrack.

Fucking great.

PlanktonSideburns

fucking hell, he knows  how to do those long lengthly painterly shots a treat dosent he? could have taken another 5mins of that tree shaking around, so odd it looked

i do love an art-film happy ending; a man's locked in a burning building thats falling off a cliff, he looks over, theres a parachute and some aftersun, cut to the credits.

this was good, and i echo sh?st!'s tone that why isnt there more on this on the bbc?

Glazer and mica levy is right great, but i feel like theres got to be loads of other great media people floating round the uk, you could shovel the cunts up for peanuts, pay them in exposure, and youde be able to churn this kind of stuff out day and night

i guess that now is not the time

hedgehog90

Happened to catch this when it was repeated the night before last at around 1:00am.
I was noodling about on my phone when it came on and the unusual sounds quickly got my attention.
After it finished I rewound and watched it again.
Lovely little attention grabbing thing it was.
I just assumed it was a young new director and made a note to research it afterwards.
Had no idea it was Jonathan Glazer and Mica Levi until seeing this thread.

PlanktonSideburns

genius bit of subliminal to make all of the cast look like baftas also

amoral