Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The next Speaker of the House of Commons

Started by Noonling, October 28, 2019, 04:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUGHDUUUUUUUUURGH

Sir Lindsay Hoyle
9 (33.3%)
Harriet Harman
1 (3.7%)
Dame Eleanor Laing
0 (0%)
Chris Bryant
0 (0%)
Sir Edward Leigh
0 (0%)
Dame Rosie Winterton
0 (0%)
Shailesh Vara
0 (0%)
Sir Henry Bellingham
0 (0%)
Meg Hillier
0 (0%)
Raoul Moat
9 (33.3%)
Geoff Capes
3 (11.1%)
Terry Nutkins
1 (3.7%)
David Bellamy
1 (3.7%)
Mike Morris
1 (3.7%)
Björn Ulvaeus
0 (0%)
Tuppence Middleton
2 (7.4%)
Vagina Oldham
0 (0%)
Irving Nattrass
0 (0%)
John Cunt
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

PlanktonSideburns

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Cloud

Bound to be Harriet Jones.  Labour this time, per convention, and they'll want to give a woman a shot at it.

Can't wait for the Tory Brexiteer types to realise that BIASED TRAITOR BERCOW who they couldn't wait to get rid of was a Tory and now they get someone from the opposition.  YEAYEAYEAYEAHHH

NoSleep

You mean Harriet Harman? She may well be deselected before the next election; not a loved person in her CLP. Not exactly the "opposite" of Bercow (or a supporter of Corbyn), either; remember when she was deputy leader in the interim after Miliband?

Noonling

Quote from: NoSleep on October 29, 2019, 05:37:16 PM
I don't necessarily think it's safe for the Speaker not to be an MP. An MP will definitely have to check their own bias whereas a non-MP is not going to be any less biased if they are qualified to take the job. It could be more dangerous politically. Also, currently, the Speaker is somebody who people voted for as an MP somewhere in the UK, so how are we going to vote for the Speaker in the future were they not to be an MP?

But parties don't put forward an alternative in the Speaker's constituency, so its not like they have continued support from the people. And as a non-MP wouldn't actually be a representative of the people I'm not sure it matters if they are not voted into office by the people.

I don't see how it could be more dangerous politically to have a non-MP?

Cloud

Quote from: NoSleep on October 29, 2019, 06:35:54 PM
You mean Harriet Harman? She may well be deselected before the next election; not a loved person in her CLP. Not exactly the "opposite" of Bercow (or a supporter of Corbyn), either; remember when she was deputy leader in the interim after Miliband?

I can't help but make Doctor Who references when talking about Harriet Harman. 

Don't really know enough about her to comment on whether she's a good choice, just a guess based on the most likely bunch of options at the bookies.

NoSleep

Quote from: Noonling on October 29, 2019, 07:57:53 PM
But parties don't put forward an alternative in the Speaker's constituency, so its not like they have continued support from the people. And as a non-MP wouldn't actually be a representative of the people I'm not sure it matters if they are not voted into office by the people.

I don't see how it could be more dangerous politically to have a non-MP?

At the moment the Speaker is usually chosen because they are a Commons veteran with years of experience of how the Commons functions.

Of course it will be be more dangerous for them to be a non MP just for the above reason but also because "not having a political bias" has proven to assure a right wing establishment bias (see the BBC). Best to have somebody qualified for the job (by experience) than worry about their "bias".

Glebe

Nobody will ever top Bercow's "ORDAAAAH, ORDAAAH!!!"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Replies From View

pigamus

There's a bloke who already does it and he's Labour, when the last one was a Tory. I don't know why the're spending hours pissing about, it was obvious from the get go.

Fambo Number Mive

I thought Harman's idea for a fourth deputy from one of the smaller parties was a good idea.

Funcrusher

It looks like it's Hoyle. Is this a good or a bad thing or neither?

pigamus

I asked this before and he was so anonymous nobody seemed to know.

imitationleather

How the fuck can a man called Lindsay command the respect of the chamber?

imitationleather

Just got reminded of Edward Leigh. If he'd won every time he was speaking I'd think the colours on my telly were fucked.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on November 04, 2019, 07:12:41 PM
I asked this before and he was so anonymous nobody seemed to know.

That's because you didn't ask it with the wording and gravitas of an optician.

PlanktonSideburns

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Funcrusher on November 04, 2019, 06:58:22 PM
It looks like it's Hoyle. Is this a good or a bad thing or neither?

I've seen him when he's deputised and very much less grandstanding, less cocksure. Reminds me of that guy who was speaker before Betty Bothroyd. I reckon he will go down in history as a non entity.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 04, 2019, 08:27:10 PM
I've seen him when he's deputised and very much less grandstanding, less cocksure. Reminds me of that guy who was speaker before Betty Bothroyd. I reckon he will go down in history as a non entity.

If he's so terrible maybe he won't even go down in history.

Replies From View

That is a still from a video in which he's grinding in his seat, his groin going quite bananas!

imitationleather

buzby

Hoyle is the local MP for the area where our factory is. He came to reopen the office after it was refurbished a couple of years ago. He seemed alright for an MP. He's a local and despite following his dad into politics he did run his own textiles firm and served as a councillor for 17 years before standing as an MP. On the downside, he was the one who propse renaming Heathrow after Diana when she died.

pigamus

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 04, 2019, 08:48:12 PM

Corbyn was a bit tart about this wasn't he? Noted that he clearly wasn't even watching the telly? Seemed a bit pointed, to me at any rate.

Replies From View

Quote from: buzby on November 04, 2019, 09:23:06 PMOn the downside, he was the one who propse renaming Heathrow after Diana when she died.

I wouldn't call myself a royalist, but I always thought Corpse Airport had quite a good ring to it.