Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:52:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sherlock cunt presents Dracula

Started by madhair60, October 29, 2019, 08:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Here's the trailer for the new BBC adaptation of Dracula from Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKgPplRITZs

Let's just hope it isn't as unbearably smug and self-indulgent as the bloody awful Sherlock, eh readers?

Jerzy Bondov

Funcrusher

It was only the bit with Dracula in that looked shit. That's not really a good sign, is it?

Deanjam

Some nice looking visuals there. Since Gatiss is a fan of the source I can only hope he'll understand that Dracula is supposed to be an absolute bastard, and not some love sick puppy who we sympathise with. Sadly I have no faith as he and Moffat completely misunderstood the character of Sherlock Holmes despite claiming to be fans. No doubt it'll be like the Coppola version, flashy but empty-headed.

Just watch the excellent Louis Jourdan version.

touchingcloth

It'll be too clever for its own good, but not actually clever, just doing some shit so they can go ahhhh, did you not realise this was it? Ahhhhhh. Ahhhhhhhh. Draculahhhhhhh.

Replies From View

Hopefully most of the characters will be Keanu Reeves dubbing in his British accent.

Looks alright, more genuinely of the horror genre than I thought it would be, but a few suspect moments already from the trailer. All those nuns pulling out stakes is very shit.

Mister Six

Will it have sexy ladies lezzing up?

If not, what's the point?

Captain Z

I hope Tim Office appears as a werewolve.

Just watched the first episode, and blow me sideways it's really good.

I wasn't expecting much as I couldn't stand Sherlock, but Moffat and Gatiss have reined in the smugness and self-indulgence here. It's funny and freewheeling, yes, but not in an unbearably back-slapping way. The jokes serve the story and never get out of hand.

Episode one doesn't stray too far from Stoker's novel, but they do add some nice little bits and pieces of their own. Also, and I think this is the most significant thing, it's unabashedly horrific. They've obviously agreed that, if you're going to adapt Dracula 'properly', you can't scrimp on the gore and nightmarish imagery.

A very pleasant surprise, really.

bgmnts

Poor Dracula must be the most abused property ever.

Quote from: bgmnts on December 17, 2019, 06:01:52 PM
Poor Dracula must be the most abused property ever.

HEY YOU SHOULD SEE MY FLAT!!!!

Thomas

That's Stokered (!!!) my interest, cheers Ballo. I've watched several versions of ol' Draccers this year and they've all been ruined by Keanu Reeves' accent. He wasn't in them all of course, but I remained peripherally aware of his existence. Controversially I thought Winona was perfectly fine.

Quote from: Mister Six on October 29, 2019, 05:52:35 PM
Will it have sexy ladies lezzing up?

If not, what's the point?

I'm related to one of yer ones from Vampire Lovers. I love Hammer horror but I might leave it off the re-watch list.

Quote from: Thomas on December 17, 2019, 06:09:23 PM
That's Stokered (!!!) my interest, cheers Ballo. I've watched several versions of ol' Draccers this year and they've all been ruined by Keanu Reeves' accent. He wasn't in them all of course, but I remained peripherally aware of his existence. Controversially I thought Winona was perfectly fine.

"I know where the bastard sleeps!"

A quite extraordinary performance.

Fortunately, the fella playing Harker in this version never looks confused by the very concept of acting.

madhair60

Quote from: Thomas on December 17, 2019, 06:09:23 PM

That's one of my favourite films ever I reckon. Pissin love it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Deanjam on October 29, 2019, 03:36:11 PM
Some nice looking visuals there. Since Gatiss is a fan of the source I can only hope he'll understand that Dracula is supposed to be an absolute bastard, and not some love sick puppy who we sympathise with. Sadly I have no faith as he and Moffat completely misunderstood the character of Sherlock Holmes despite claiming to be fans. No doubt it'll be like the Coppola version, flashy but empty-headed.

Just watch the excellent Louis Jourdan version.

The introduction of Weird Tales #325 discusses this.

BlodwynPig

Danger Man

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 29, 2019, 03:37:57 PM
It'll be too clever for its own good, but not actually clever, just doing some shit so they can go ahhhh, did you not realise this was it? Ahhhhhh. Ahhhhhhhh. Draculahhhhhhh.

There'll be a bit where Dracula is on a roof and seems to fall off the roof and everybody will go 'How did Dracula fall off that roof and not die?" before remembering he can turn into a bat and fly away.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Deanjam on October 29, 2019, 03:36:11 PM
Some nice looking visuals there. Since Gatiss is a fan of the source I can only hope he'll understand that Dracula is supposed to be an absolute bastard, and not some love sick puppy who we sympathise with.

Thankfully, he's depicted as an absolute bastard who we're not supposed to sympathise with in the slightest.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 18, 2019, 11:25:36 AM
Thankfully, he's depicted as an absolute bastard who we're not supposed to sympathise with in the slightest.

Excellent. That's what I want to hear.

chveik

hmmm. in the two best drakalu films* you can't help but feel some sort of compassion for him.

* the Murnau et Herzog ones

a gorefest is a stupid idea too.

Dannyhood91

I hope Tom Waits is in it offering people rubbish food like in that film from ages ago.

Cuellar

A distraught Drac cradles a tearful John Harker in his arms having just bitten Lucy or Mina or whoever to absolute fuck and tells him

"It is what it is"

Twitter explodes, we all stan.

BAFTA

An tSaoi

I hope Dracula say "We're taking back control".

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on December 17, 2019, 05:55:41 PM
Just watched the first episode, and blow me sideways it's really good.

I wasn't expecting much as I couldn't stand Sherlock, but Moffat and Gatiss have reined in the smugness and self-indulgence here. It's funny and freewheeling, yes, but not in an unbearably back-slapping way. The jokes serve the story and never get out of hand.

Episode one doesn't stray too far from Stoker's novel, but they do add some nice little bits and pieces of their own. Also, and I think this is the most significant thing, it's unabashedly horrific. They've obviously agreed that, if you're going to adapt Dracula 'properly', you can't scrimp on the gore and nightmarish imagery.

A very pleasant surprise, really.

Where did you find it? I canna find a torrent.

An tSaoi

bet those cucks in the bolshevik broadcasting corporation made van helsing a black woman or summat innit #getbrexitdone

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 18, 2019, 10:59:51 PM
Where did you find it? I canna find a torrent.

I think he's a member of the Fourth Estate ie works at Homebase.