Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:01:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sherlock cunt presents Dracula

Started by madhair60, October 29, 2019, 08:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 01, 2020, 11:03:51 PM
The 'adorable barmaid in the Rose And Crown' - Clara's profession in The Snowmen

Clara's shitness is spreading to different shows now!

VelourSpirit

ahhh, i'd forgotten about the snowmen really
that's two clara links then since drac says this https://youtu.be/CzCghIPHFI0?t=23

Deanjam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 01, 2020, 11:07:23 PM
Balls. He was the best thing about it. A menacing, ruthless bastard.

Who drops glib one-liners in a matey accent at every chance.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He wasn't remotely matey. He was a cunt. Yes, he said some 'funny' things, but we weren't supposed to like him.

Deanjam

I never said we were supposed to like him, I said I didn't find him menacing. The one liners and general glibness of the entire show hurt it.

neveragain

I really didn't think there was that much glibness (glibidity?), speaking as someone who tired of that knowing tone in Sherlock. Yes, the occasional line but not so much as to hurt the atmosphere.

Deanjam

Each to their own etc etc but I thought it had too much glibiosity Not a word

neveragain

I would say Gatiss has done himself proud, especially after the Simon Callow drama last year which just missed the (no pun) mark.

timebug

Well I watched part one..... I mean,I actually sat there and watched part one.I fear parts 2 & 3 will forever be a void in my mind,as I very much doubt that I will watch them. Some things are just so bad, you don't know how and where to start expressing your opinion of them.
I watched Part One. That about sums it up for me.....

lipsink

Is there a bit of a MeToo vibe to this? Naked man not being asked in and all that.

The bloke playing Dracula was also in The Square and is Danish. He does a pretty good English accent. I thought it was great but agree maybe a bit too long.

olliebean

My interest started to drift about half an hour in, I think, and by the end I was just reading stuff here and elsewhere on the web with it on in the background. Can't be arsed with another 3 hours of it. The problem is, I'm just not that interested in Dracula - the character or the story - and this didn't really add enough to make me interested. I might have persisted if they'd done 6 weekly 45 mins., but a feature-length one three nights running can GTF.

Ambient Sheep

I've not watched it yet (but shall be doing so), but have to agree that expecting audiences to devote 90 minutes, for three nights running, shows a large amount of hubris; a large amount of over-confidence that what they're doing is so good that a big chunk of the UK viewing audience will happily devote the best part of three evenings in a row to it.

If the second two parts had been just an hour each then they might have got away with it, but as it is I think the overnights will be interesting...

gilbertharding

Yep.

And you can add That Christine Keeler thing to the same list - except that has somehow been spun out to SIX HOURS (and judging by the first part, it will seem like at least twice that).

Have people who run TV been told that 'people like really really long stories' now? Box Sets, Breaking Bad and all that?

Because I think it's rude of them to presume I have that amount of time to just watch tv.

mjwilson

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on January 02, 2020, 04:58:26 PM
I've not watched it yet (but shall be doing so), but have to agree that expecting audiences to devote 90 minutes, for three nights running, shows a large amount of hubris; a large amount of over-confidence that what they're doing is so good that a big chunk of the UK viewing audience will happily devote the best part of three evenings in a row to it.

If the second two parts had been just an hour each then they might have got away with it, but as it is I think the overnights will be interesting...

"Three nights in a row"? "Overnights"? What is this,  2010?

VelourSpirit

it's a pretty weird move. bet a lot of people just assume it's on next week and they miss it. don't mind the runtime, I suppose people didn't with sherlock either.

olliebean

Quote from: TwinPeaks on January 02, 2020, 06:31:43 PM
it's a pretty weird move. bet a lot of people just assume it's on next week and they miss it. don't mind the runtime, I suppose people didn't with sherlock either.

Sherlock was always weekly. Gives you a bit of time to anticipate the next one, rather than just having to slog on with it the next day.

chveik

and they were mostly self-contained episodes.

really dunno why they couldn't have made 6 episodes of 45 min.

anyway this is boring as fuck, I'm not going to bother with the rest.

lipsink

Feels like more like a binge watch if its over 3 nights. Surely that makes sense with the way people watch TV shows now which is mostly back to back? Lots of shows are released in go.

Captain Z

Captain Z

Seriously thought we would get a "you're my wife now" as he plunged his fangs into Dora Bella.

Oh I liked the throwaway little nod to Inside No. 9. It was just Gatiss paying playful tribute to his old friends. That makes it sound like they're dead. They're not dead.

olliebean

Quote from: lipsink on January 02, 2020, 08:06:44 PM
Feels like more like a binge watch if its over 3 nights. Surely that makes sense with the way people watch TV shows now which is mostly back to back? Lots of shows are released in go.

Yes but the thing about a binge watch is you can watch as much of something as you like, whenever you like. Which technically you can with this, once it's all been broadcast, via iPlayer - but if they'd meant it to be binge watched they'd have put it all on iPlayer in one go, as they sometimes do with other series. Scheduling it over 3 nights like this feels a bit prescriptive, a bit presumptuous, a bit "You will gladly set aside three whole consecutive evenings of your life to watch this, because we decree that is how it should be watched."

Phil_A

Old Drac the first time he appears has exactly the same accent as the "Compare The Market" Meerkat. It's a bit distracting.

Quote from: olliebean on January 02, 2020, 10:16:03 PM
Yes but the thing about a binge watch is you can watch as much of something as you like, whenever you like. Which technically you can with this, once it's all been broadcast, via iPlayer - but if they'd meant it to be binge watched they'd have put it all on iPlayer in one go, as they sometimes do with other series. Scheduling it over 3 nights like this feels a bit prescriptive, a bit presumptuous, a bit "You will gladly set aside three whole consecutive evenings of your life to watch this, because we decree that is how it should be watched."

What if people are quite happy to watch it over three nights, though? If you're enjoying it, then it's something to look forward to of a cold, barren January evening.

Anyway, it's been good fun so far but I rolled my eyes when Drac and Van Helsing turned up in modern times at the end of tonight's episode. I was perfectly happy with it being a semi-faithful adaptation of Stoker's novel, but I'm not particularly interested now that it's no longer a period piece. Really disappointing, as it looked like Gatiss and Moffat weren't going down the 'sexy modern update' route this time.

touchingcloth

I enjoyed tonight's episode a lot, which surprised me as they did away with the Harkers and I'd been anticipating what might happen with Mina tonight.

I think the three consecutive nights thing is fine, personally. A lot of people would have been off work for the first evening, and even if I'd missed an episode I'd be happy enough watching on demand. There's fuck all else on tele at the moment.

touchingcloth

And here's hoping Whitby as a destination means they'be time things with the Goth Weekend...

Danger Man

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 02, 2020, 10:38:41 PM
Anyway, it's been good fun so far but I rolled my eyes when Drac and Van Helsing turned up in modern times at the end of tonight's episode. I was perfectly happy with it being a semi-faithful adaptation of Stoker's novel, but I'm not particularly interested now that it's no longer a period piece. Really disappointing, as it looked like Gatiss and Moffat weren't going down the 'sexy modern update' route this time.

I bet Dracula AD 1972 is Gatiss's favourite Dracula movie.

Rev+

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 02, 2020, 10:38:41 PM
Anyway, it's been good fun so far but

I was convinced that the third episode would end in a similar way, leaving the door open for a modernised second run.  The adapted part is probably done now, tomorrow it's probably a new self-contained adventure that'll effectively be a pilot.

Enjoyable and everything, but like others have said the 90 minute episode length doesn't do it any favours.  Sherlock never did anything to justify the length of its episodes either.

Quote from: Danger Man on January 02, 2020, 11:35:13 PM
I bet Dracula AD 1972 is Gatiss's favourite Dracula movie.

Almost certainly. I am rather fond of that silly film myself, though.

Quote from: Rev+ on January 02, 2020, 11:44:53 PM
Enjoyable and everything, but like others have said the 90 minute episode length doesn't do it any favours.  Sherlock never did anything to justify the length of its episodes either.

Especially when Sherlock eventually became a TV show all about the TV show Sherlock. No plots as such, just an endless stream of self-congratulatory meta-gags about how fucking clever it all was.

The next series of Dracula is going to be like that, isn't it?