Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roy Harper

Started by Cuellar, October 29, 2019, 05:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Is he #cancelled? He was completely acquitted at his trial a few years ago. But these rumours have been around for AGES, right? I remember reading something years ago, long before the trial, about it. Which always put me off him.

And on his latest album he has Pete Townshend playing guitar, the optics of which don't bear thinking about.

Finding his early albums absolutely BRILLIANT though. So it's tricky.

If I could have a definitive #cancelled/#notcancelled that'd be great.

Pauline Walnuts

He was found not guilty, but I don't think that means much to HashtagCancelledCulture Does it?

Black Cloud of #Cancelled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XSNshkvCOg

Acceptable at the time.

Cuellar

Oh geez. Hadn't heard that album.

How ostracised would I be if I said 'Yeah, I've been listening to quite a lot of Roy Harper recently'

On the strength of that song the answer is VERY

Brundle-Fly

Mark Ellen said that this TV interview was his worst moment as a music journalist. He said they were an odious pair who hated him from the off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYt2ASdw_WQ

Cuellar

He does seem like an awkward bastard, don't think I'd want to spend much time with him. Still, could write a good song, fine guitar player, and a hell of a voice.

idunnosomename

[tag] hats off (so we can cover up his sex crime boners)[/tag]

surely no worse than what page and bowie got up to though

Cuellar

I'm sure they were all at it, every single one of your heroes. The Beatles, Dylan, Bowie, Led Zeppelin obviously, literally all of them.

Pauline Walnuts

I think he's great, more the acoustic early stuff, the later full band 70s stuff less so.

Can't stand that weird flanged/chorus thing he put on his acoustic guitar sound in the 80s.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Cuellar on October 29, 2019, 09:31:47 PM
I'm sure they were all at it, every single one of your heroes. The Beatles, Dylan, Bowie, Led Zeppelin obviously, literally all of them.

Different times?  My mate looks after the visiting big acts at a well-known city arena and she says it's still dodgy shag nasty territory. Certain urban artists make Led Zep look like little playas.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 29, 2019, 08:34:36 PM
Mark Ellen said that this TV interview was his worst moment as a music journalist. He said they were an odious pair who hated him from the off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYt2ASdw_WQ

Mark Ellen is a lovely man, but I suppose you could argue that he gets off on the wrong foot by describing them as '70s rock stars. Then again, that intro was probably recorded after some time spent in their obnoxious company. Ellen was getting a dig in.

As for that Harper song posted above. Fucking Hell.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

True, but there's a bit in Ray Davies' autobiography where he recalls getting a backstage blowjob from - let's give him the benefit of the doubt - a young female fan who wasn't underage. This was quite early in his career. He recalls the experience in depressing detail, he felt nothing but self-disgust. That sort of thing just wasn't for him.

So maybe they weren't all bad.

Cuellar

Fair enough, I'm sure there were some semi-decent ones. And yes I'm sure it still goes on, sadly.

Anyway, I think Stormcock is a remarkable album. Parts of Sophisticated Beggar and Come Out Fighting, Ghengis Smith too.

I also know understand where Ian Anderson got all his ideas lol (maybe not entirely fair, and I know he acknowledges the debt, but blimey it's striking).

idunnosomename

Not Cliff. He has a certificate to prove it and everything.

Rizla

EDIT sorry, poorly worded and pointless digression.

Sin Agog

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on October 29, 2019, 05:21:17 PM
He was found not guilty, but I don't think that means much to HashtagCancelledCulture Does it?

Black Cloud of #Cancelled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XSNshkvCOg

Acceptable at the time.

That whole Valentine album is ver' pretty, though.

Wouldn't be surprised if he did it, but coupling with adolescents has been a strong theme in folk songs since long before Cecil Young and Ralph Vaughan Williams went a' song collecting.  Can't remember the name of it, but one of Pentangle's best tracks is about Jacqui McShee getting hitched to a thirteen-year-old boy.  Got into it with my mum on this topic, as she was a '60s folkanaut who said that some of the stentorian patriarchs on the other side of the argument come down a little too hard as the idea of adolescent female sexuality terrifies them- they are simply kids because the alternative is too creepy for them to handle.  Not how I see it, exactly- it's the older longhairs with guitars' responsibility to be...responsible; but it's always fun when you come across as the square conservative one when debating with your parent.

Cuellar

He is capable of writing songs of incredible beauty.

But yes. I think charismatic folkies in the 60s and 70s shouldn't have had sex with children. If they did. Which Roy Harper didn't, as proved in the courts.

Pauline Walnuts

True dat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDPqhcYSKGg
Worth the run time for the way he sings 'Obeying' alone

Bum Fiddlers around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfEPSQEyfpo