Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:58:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Maynard Ferguson's version of Birdland

Started by Twed, October 29, 2019, 07:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wosl

famethrowa

Quote from: Twed on October 29, 2019, 07:04:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGvKFbYgI4

There you go

Obviously the best version. Fair dos, Weather Report wrote it, but their version is insufferably weedy with some very "nice" 70's synths.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: wosl on October 29, 2019, 08:00:10 PM
Vince Guaraldi - Woodstock's Dream ->-> this way.

Birdland was what my immediate thought was when I first heard it, but I'm not sure Zawinul lifted it deliberately, it's not that similar. It is great though.
(As someone says in the comments, the actual title is Snoopy and Woodstock, not Woodstock's Dream. Most of the 15 tracks listed on the CD are wrongly placed.)

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: famethrowa on October 29, 2019, 10:50:07 PM
Obviously the best version. Fair dos, Weather Report wrote it, but their version is insufferably weedy with some very "nice" 70's synths.

Interesting though that he's pretty faithful to Zawinul's improvised ARP (?) solo at the end, just like Janis Siegel was with Jon Hendricks' new lyrics in Manhattan Transfer's version.

Twed

wosl

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on October 29, 2019, 11:05:32 PM[T]he actual title is Snoopy and Woodstock, not Woodstock's Dream. Most of the 15 tracks listed on the CD are wrongly placed.

Ta.  I only know it from the Peanuts animations, so was just matching the tune in my head to what was on YT before nipping back here with a link; I didn't read the comments.  Woodstock being a bird was the other dippy connection, on the basis that this might develop into a baton-passing type thread.

I love Birdland and never heard this version. Absolutely stellar. I love the drums on here, too. Really tough.

Twed

It's very joyful. Sounds like it should be on the soundtrack of the last ever Mario game.

Twed

Twed

"Can't you see we're living on an asteroid in outer-space?"

Can you REALLY not see that? Have you not noticed that we are stranded on a rock so fucking tiny that you could send a cumshot over the horizon with a little effort? Do you not wonder why it is that when you fart you first detect it from behind due to it charting a Magellan-like circumnavigation of this rock? You are the oblivious heir to the manifest space-fuckery of interstellar agriculture Hubert, and I hate you.

PlanktonSideburns