Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:56:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yessss sounds like Kotaku is fucked

Started by The Boston Crab, October 29, 2019, 07:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Jason Schreier posting his usual ambiguous fuckin bullshit and it sounds like either he is fired or the whole thing is going down the pan.

Literally can't stand Kotaku woke gaming bullshit, even though I am truly woke.

It's not as bad as Austin Walker and Waypoint though, that's definitely in it's favour. Fuckin psyched that Waypoint totally went down the shitter as well. Great news for true gamers.

Twed

So what I'm reading is that some awful private equity firm bought them and then imposed editorial standards on them

At first I'm thinking "glad you took a stand Kotaku" but then I thought about it a little longer and realised that they're just unhappy that selling out wasn't a cuddly happy rosebud bathtime like they thought they deserved, so fuck them

Heads up: I refuse to give this any real fair thought, I've made up my mind and will stick to this in any further discussions even if I've been successfully convinced that what I said there is inaccurate. That's just the way it is unfortunately.

I'm totally with you. Good instincts. Gotta be honest, I'm sick of shit about gaming needs to unionise and all this fucking crap. Articles about is Dark Souls racist? Remembering Ikaruga the best shmup ever. An art game all about how hard it is working as a writer. Etc.

Good riddance. More IGN and the like, please.

Phil_A

The only Kotaku thing I really care about is Tim Rogers' videos, so I hope he survives this intact.

Seconded. I've really enjoyed both of his translation series (FFVII and Chrono Trigger).

Thursday

Ahh come on they're not that bad you fucking gamergaters.

Cloud

This thread will end well.  (Also I keep confusing Kotaku with /r/KotakuInAction... god the whole mess is confusing)

I'm just going with the centrist position of "fuck the culture wars" - if the demise of a site deeply embroiled in the gamergate shit on either side helps put some of it to bed, then great news!

madhair60

Fry

Kotaku was alright, I don't really wanna see it go. I dunno, anything to stop me just going to the same 4 websites in a loop I suppose.

touchingcloth

madhair60

"true gamers" can slam dunk a shitload of poison into their screaming-at-women mouths

NJ Uncut

As long as Push Square is OK, Kotaku can get in hell and toast like fuck

Kelvin

Sad news if true. Games media is already an embarrassment, interested only in previews and reporting the publisher's press reports and headline quotes from planned interviews, so if you had to put up with some daft editorials at Kotaku, at least they offered some real journalism into things like crunch, unionisation, the stories behind failed games, etc. Over the last 12 months, things did seem to be very slowly improving with crunch, for example, and that was in no small part down to the coverage by Kotaku.

So no; I didn't read the site myself, but it clearly isn't a good thing if we lose it.

Twed

They are just the cool kids from the old era of games journalism. It's not like with Kotaku gone there is nobody left saying good things about games.

Moribunderast

I've never really visited Kotaku so have no opinion on them closing or whatever but wasn't Jason Schreier the dude who wrote that really good expose last year about crunch periods and stress casualties and the like? Obviously he may have written a bunch of guff that I never read but on the basis of that piece he seems more worthy of celebration than scorn. But then again I have a hard time telling when some of you guys in these games threads are being hyperbolic for fun or because that's how you feel. Post-Gamergate irony (if that's what it is?) is confusing when the gaming "community" (urgh, which I avoid as much as possible) seems to still be very much full of toxic cunts.

Twed

There have been lots of good Kotaku pieces. Lots of smug tripe too. That doesn't make thinking that games journalism is probably going to be fine and that Kotaku might not deserve all the sympathy in the world for there being consequences to selling themselves to a corp an edgelord opinion, does it? You can't process everything as "GamerGate" or "Not-GamerGate". This has nothing to do with fucking GamerGate.

I kinda want the huge institutions of game journalism to start dying out. Why should they have so much sway over what succeeds and what doesn't? It's a Gawker Media company, not some saintly herald of all that is good and pure.

Twed

"Post-Gamergate irony", I'm so fucking depressed now.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Twed on October 30, 2019, 01:28:27 AM
There have been lots of good Kotaku pieces. Lots of smug tripe too. That doesn't make thinking that games journalism is probably going to be fine and that Kotaku might not deserve all the sympathy in the world for there being consequences to selling themselves to a corp an edgelord opinion, does it? You can't process everything as "GamerGate" or "Not-GamerGate". This has nothing to do with fucking GamerGate

I sincerely wasn't (and don't) trying to process everything as Gamegate or Not Gamergate. TBH it's a thing I never think about - it's just that the occasional hyperbolic comments in some of these gaming threads read like stuff I saw back then or see now on YouTube comments sections and it's sometimes hard to discern when people are just being hyperbolic for laughs or if they genuinely hate something/someone. Probably just me being a plum and not reading cues well. Didn't mean any offence. I was mainly just confused by the mention of Schreier in the OP because I only know him from work that seems to have been quite good.

Twed

I understand and if your question is "is there a general tone of over-the-top aggro in this forum for larks" then yes.

Twed

I got upset because people keep saying GamerGate

Why do people keep saying GamerGate

bgmnts

I remember back in the day i'd go to the local co op and buy OXM or XBM and they'd have features, game previews, game reviews, contests and of course the coveted demo disc! A free (10 minute sample of a) few games a month.

We'll never have those days again, now it's all Gamergating women hating, articles so trite, moaning alt-right and just boooo.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 30, 2019, 06:16:44 AM
I remember back in the day i'd go to the local co op and buy OXM or XBM and they'd have features, game previews, game reviews, contests and of course the coveted demo disc! A free (10 minute sample of a) few games a month.

We'll never have those days again, now it's all Gamergating women hating, articles so trite, moaning alt-right and just boooo.

Pray tell what magazines you have read, Bgmnts, that are like this, and the articles. As much detail as possible basically, as it's made up shite

bgmnts

I meant the game industry in general like innit.

Magazines don't even exist amymore.

Thursday

It's just the super-irony get's a little tiring, there's enough unironic "fuck the SJW games media" about, that there's no need to add to it.

colacentral

It's why this is the worst sub forum, and tiring to participate in; toilet level lad cunt shite. The geek's legend gary.

bgmnts

I am genuinely nostalgic for gaming when I was a kid, not being edgy. Its a shame Kotaku is closing though as a lot of gaming journos will be losing a source of income.

tourism

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 29, 2019, 07:17:05 PM
I'm sick of shit about gaming needs to unionise

does gaming not need to unionise? 

C_Larence

I thought Polygon was who people hated now