Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:29:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yessss sounds like Kotaku is fucked

Started by The Boston Crab, October 29, 2019, 07:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: colacentral on October 30, 2019, 07:39:47 AM
It's why this is the worst sub forum, and tiring to participate in; toilet level lad cunt shite. The geek's legend gary.

I do accept this observation, even though it's massively exaggerated, but there are countless sincere threads about games and other interesting topics that you choose not to contribute to. There is a New Topic button if you have something interesting to share yourself.

It's a community, buddy. You're not the audience you feel you are. It's on you to get involved. Of course, that's not what you want, you just fancied letting off a lil steam.

madhair60

I feel like the performative gatekeeping stuff can get tiring and indistinct from, well, actual gatekeeping. That said, fuck dude, at least you're posting about stuff you like.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: bgmnts on October 30, 2019, 07:45:58 AM
I am genuinely nostalgic for gaming when I was a kid, not being edgy. Its a shame Kotaku is closing though as a lot of gaming journos will be losing a source of income.

Do you actually game? Do you read magazines or websites?

I do all three to different amounts and I just don't think it's edgy really. I dont play online, and wouldn't have voice if I did, so I might be dodging a lot, but you seem to be short on examples with your various claims here Bigmounts

bgmnts

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 30, 2019, 10:24:32 AM
Do you actually game? Do you read magazines or websites?

I do all three to different amounts and I just don't think it's edgy really. I dont play online, and wouldn't have voice if I did, so I might be dodging a lot, but you seem to be short on examples with your various claims here Bigmounts

I sold my games console last month. Destructive habit for me. So no I dont game now. Never liked the community though tbh.

colacentral

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 30, 2019, 09:39:30 AM
I do accept this observation, even though it's massively exaggerated, but there are countless sincere threads about games and other interesting topics that you choose not to contribute to. There is a New Topic button if you have something interesting to share yourself.

It's a community, buddy. You're not the audience you feel you are. It's on you to get involved. Of course, that's not what you want, you just fancied letting off a lil steam.

Participation is reading as well as posting, and you set a tone which makes this sub forum no fun to read. You are to technology what paulie walnuts is to general bullshit. It's not on me to cancel out your cuntery.

Quote from: madhair60 on October 30, 2019, 10:17:44 AM
I feel like the performative gatekeeping stuff can get tiring and indistinct from, well, actual gatekeeping. That said, fuck dude, at least you're posting about stuff you like.

Noted, fair enough. I will keep that in mind. I'll be honest though, this place is so dead, I feel little responsibility to self-moderate. If I want a proper chat about games these days, I'll do it elsewhere. You do the same, as do a few other posters I see elsewhere. That said, I'd guess that 90% of what I post about games is enthusiasm about games and attempting to start some kind of discussion about particular games. The other 10% is pissing about and I accept that some people don't like that. As in, I accept that fact.

Quote from: colacentral on October 30, 2019, 11:24:09 AM
Participation is reading as well as posting, and you set a tone which makes this sub forum no fun to read. You are to technology what paulie walnuts is to general bullshit. It's not on me to cancel out your cuntery.

That's absolutely fine by me. If you think your role is complete passivity and letting off steam impotently every few months, that's entirely on you. It sucks that you focus on the bits that annoy you so much, I mean, PW has barely registered for me at all let alone dominated my impression of GB, but oh well. I don't mind.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: colacentral on October 30, 2019, 07:39:47 AM
It's why this is the worst sub forum, and tiring to participate in; toilet level lad cunt shite. The geek's legend gary.
Agreed.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 30, 2019, 12:22:24 PMNoted, fair enough. I will keep that in mind. I'll be honest though, this place is so dead, I feel little responsibility to self-moderate. If I want a proper chat about games these days, I'll do it elsewhere. You do the same, as do a few other posters I see elsewhere. That said, I'd guess that 90% of what I post about games is enthusiasm about games and attempting to start some kind of discussion about particular games. The other 10% is pissing about and I accept that some people don't like that. As in, I accept that fact.

Yeah, I absolutely do the same, because it's fucking funny. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, I can just see what people are getting at, innit.

Edit: Massively misunderstood there, not editing it

Beagle 2

For balance, I like the pissing about.

Twed

Yeah, I actually fucking love this sub forum, everybody calls each other cunts in the warmest possible way and it's lovely.

The reality is that there's only about twenty people who regularly post in this sub, and it gets quite pisstakey and meta. Whether that's a consequence or cause of the sub being quiet, it's impossible to say,  but if you only want to participate by reading, you're unlikely to change things in any way. Oh well. The fact is that I don't see this as entertainment for lurkers. Some people like it, some don't. The floor is yours.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on October 30, 2019, 02:41:25 PM
Yeah, I actually fucking love this sub forum, everybody calls each other cunts in the warmest possible way and it's lovely.

I hope you fucking die (smiles paternally)

colacentral

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 30, 2019, 02:59:45 PM
The reality is that there's only about twenty people who regularly post in this sub, and it gets quite pisstakey and meta. Whether that's a consequence or cause of the sub being quiet, it's impossible to say,  but if you only want to participate by reading, you're unlikely to change things in any way. Oh well. The fact is that I don't see this as entertainment for lurkers. Some people like it, some don't. The floor is yours.

For what it's worth, I take what you're saying about the lack of people participating and my original post wasn't just meant to be about you specifically but more generally about the tone that permeates this sub forum as a whole. However, that tone could just be due to the stereotypical demographic of game fans, with very similar types of personality of CaB posters, already a snarky bunch, all filtered down here.

I know you're mostly taking the piss but as madhair pointed out it eventually becomes indistinct to the real thing. Madhair's character invites us to laugh at him when he says things like James Pond is the best game on the snes, whereas I feel your humour is always pushing outwards. I already find it an effort to write a post as it is, so if I see that sort of banter I'd rather just roll my eyes and look elsewhere. It's the arrogance that's off putting rather than the piss taking, and it's unclear how much of that arrogance is a character and how much is real, but it's equally unpleasant either way.

I do appreciate your many sincere thoughts and game reviews in other threads, but I wish the ratio of those to the "AIDs tier" talk was higher.

Twed

You must be Tom Hanks because you just won the Academy Award for

edit: gonna leave the end blank so it's your fault and not mine.

colacentral

I'll assume either "Big" (erroneously) or "Best Actor." Cheers mate.

Twed

Quote from: colacentral on October 30, 2019, 04:24:30 PM
I know you're mostly taking the piss but as madhair pointed out it eventually becomes indistinct to the real thing. Madhair's character invites us to laugh at him when he says things like James Pond is the best game on the snes, whereas I feel your humour is always pushing outwards.

I totally get that, and I see that this topic is a particularly egregious specimen of lazy ironic shit. Look, no excuses, but as an explanation, I was reading the reactions to this story on Era and there's so much performative self-righteous hand-wringing on there that I just wanted to say the exact opposite absurd opinion to scratch that itch. I would get banned on there so I said it here instead knowing that people know where I'm really coming from. It's lazy shit, though, not funny. I hold my hands up.

To be honest, I think I've made a lot more positive posts since the Abandoned Games thread where madhair60 said it's just an excuse to say that stuff I don't like is shit. That wasn't my intention and I've started similar threads elsewhere which have proved pretty fruitful, looking at when and why certain games lost interest after a promising start. I still think that's an interesting topic, but his response made me understand that I was coming across as slagging off anything that wasn't my kind of thing. I get that, and so I've tried to stick to more positive stuff since. That said, this thread is bad, although I'm glad that it's sparked this worthwhile follow-up discussion.

The 'aids tier' stuff I have to accept is on me, even if that's not a phrase I've used in ages. It has contributed to a certain enduring tone. From my perspective, I would genuinely like to see more discussions on here and more posters getting involved because, whether we agree cause or consequence, it's pretty quiet. Anyway, I appreciate the straightforward reply and I'd defo be interested in what you've been playing recently.

Quote from: Twed on October 30, 2019, 05:32:57 PM
Yes best actor in Philadelphia.

Now that is funny.

colacentral

Quote from: Twed on October 30, 2019, 05:32:57 PM
Yes best actor in Philadelphia.

You did me good and proper there, fair play.

madhair60

James Pond is shit on the SNES but James Pond 3 is the best game on the Mega Drive, honestly

peanutbutter

I like this forum...

RE: Kotaku, I know fuck all about modern gaming on the whole really but Kotaku seemed to be the only major site that ever had anything that came close to being worth reading. It feels like it's nearly a requirement to be good at youtube to be remotely capable of doing good work in the name of games journalism.