Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'who the fuck am I even actually going to vote for?' thread

Started by BritishHobo, October 29, 2019, 11:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Welcome back, undecideds! It's the thread specifically for those of you on a knife-edge between two parties for the upcoming CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION ELECTION

When last you left us, in the heady days of 2017, I was given the following genuinely good advice by Kelvin about my inertia regarding Labour and Plaid Cymru:

Quote from: Kelvin on June 07, 2017, 02:21:48 PM
If you feel this way, why not just vote Labour this one time, when you think it actually matters and could make a real difference, then vote Plaid in every future election? This is likely to be our one chance to send this message.

Genuinely good advice, I'm not being sarcastic, and advice I agreed with:

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 07, 2017, 03:52:40 PM
Aye. It's what needs doing, and I keep coming back to it. I think my brain just wants to retain an element of personal dramatic tension; keep me unsure until the moment I'm there in the booth.

Voted Labour, let the cards fall where they would, ready to go for Plaid in 2022 when things had  calmed down a bit. I assumed if Corbyn didn't win then my next choice would be an easy one between Plaid and a centrist-again Labour. Except, oh no, here we go again. Now what the fuck am I meant to do? This is the most divisive, important election I've seen in my forty seconds of adulthood. I'm in a seat that's safe Labour, but the Tories have been gradually narrowing the gap for ages. The long-running Labour MP isn't standing, so there'll be a new person there without much time to make an impression. Our local Plaid candidate is fucking brilliant, really a huge asset to the community. She would more than deserve to be our MP. The fact that I'm even contemplating not voting for her shows how DOGSHIT this system us. But there's no way Plaid are getting anywhere in this constituency, this time at least. It's a Labour/Tory race. But then, is it even? A lot of people seem to be leaning for yer Brexit Party, which would split that vote.

FUCK'S SAKE

Who else is torn between two parties? Come join me to hash out your indecisiveness.

PowerButchi

I've also got a straight choice between Plaid and Labour for my vote here, I pretty sure I'm in the constituency next to you Hobo, to to be honest I see it going Tory. So I'll probably have to tactically vote Labour, although my heart is with Plaid. And their Wrexham candidate is indeed a fantastic local servant and I'd love to see her win there.

This is a no brainer in a parliamentary system in which voting Labour could result in Jeremy Corbyn as PM.

Absorb the anus burn

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: PowerButchi on October 30, 2019, 12:43:51 AM
I've also got a straight choice between Plaid and Labour for my vote here, I pretty sure I'm in the constituency next to you Hobo, to to be honest I see it going Tory. So I'll probably have to tactically vote Labour, although my heart is with Plaid. And their Wrexham candidate is indeed a fantastic local servant and I'd love to see her win there.

Y'all blew the chance to put Ruabon on the map.

PowerButchi

I put Ruabon on the map, yo! I sincerely think Clwyd South is going to go blue though. The amount of people in the pubs around here who normally vote Labour who are making tory voting noises is a real shit surprise.

H-O-W-L

Anyone else up for getting utterly obliterated that night? Like I'm talking full-bottle mashed.

Jittlebags

Just go for whoever won last time unless they were Tory. Job's a good un.

derek stitt

Will vote Labour but, it's pointless around here as this constituency is solid Tory. Stupid cunt working class Tory at that, possibly the next worst kind of Tory after the Rees Moog and Letts type.

Five years of Johnson.... fucking hell

hedgehog90

I get to vote for the third time for the local independy candidate, and it seems increasingly likely that she'll win against the Tory incumbant who's announced he's not running again.
(Claire Wright, Hugo Swire, East Devon)
If it happens it'll be the first non-tory MP in that area since 1885... Fingers crossed.

Kelvin

Glad you liked my "genuinely good advice" and weren't "being sarcastic", Britishhobo. If I might offer you some advice again, I'd suggest swivelling, you condescending twat.

KennyMonster

Quote from: derek stitt on October 30, 2019, 02:49:02 AM
Will vote Labour but, it's pointless around here as this constituency is solid Tory. Stupid cunt working class Tory at that, possibly the next worst kind of Tory after the Rees Moog and Letts type.

Five years of Johnson.... fucking hell

I also live in a solid Tory seat, the 2nd safest Tory seat in the country apparently.
Our current MP is a cross between JRM and Lurch from the Addams family.

Voting Labour because I'm not a Cunt and I'm not a Twat.

bgmnts

Never thought i'd vote Plaid and I usually vote Green but may have to be Plaid too. I vote in a cunt Tory constituency anyway kind of as I think its on the boundary. Torfaen is usually Labour and Monmouthsire is usually Conservative.

NoSleep

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 29, 2019, 11:27:17 PM
I assumed if Corbyn didn't win then my next choice would be an easy one between Plaid and a centrist-again Labour.

So you think Labour will "change back" under some new centrist leadership if Corbyn fails? I don't think that's likely to happen for at least a generation. I'm sure there's lots (hundreds of thousands) of people like me, who joined Labour to vote for Corbyn and who will not vote for any Tory-Lite throwback given a choice (which we will).

NoSleep

My area is a safe Tory/Leave seat where the MP had the whip taken away by Johnson and joined the LibDems. Will probably help campaign in a nearby Tory/Lab marginal.

Pijlstaart

I'm in Enfield Southgate this time, of Portillo moment fame, my first proper swing seat and the easiest labour vote of my life.

SpiderChrist

Solid Tory constituency here. Labour increased its share of the vote in 2017, but so did the Tories, so Lucy Frazer getting back in is pretty much nailed on, I reckon.

2017:

Con - 53.3% (+4.9)
Lab - 27.7% (+12.5)
Lib Dem - 19% (-1.2)

NJ Uncut

I could well afford to spaff my vote on a non Labour candidate, it being sufficiently watertight a Labour stronghold

I won't though. Why waste the time. Why the miniscule risk of enabling the Tories?

But alas, it is fun election time. People who won't vote for Corbyn. But this is not his constituency?!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Find your nearest marginal and go door knocking with Labour.

As for the vote, in England do this

A) A Labour/Tory marginal
Labour + campaign

B) A Lib dem/Tory marginal
Lib Dem but campaign in your nearest Labour marginal

C) A seat any could win
Labour + campaign

If you want to make your vote count tenfold then campaign. You only need to look at 2017 for the enormous difference it makes when people are confronted by young vital intelligent people who are overwhelmingly enthusiastic about a Labour future.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Kelvin on October 30, 2019, 03:58:20 AM
Glad you liked my "genuinely good advice" and weren't "being sarcastic", Britishhobo. If I might offer you some advice again, I'd suggest swivelling, you condescending twat.

Right I'll fucking vote Tory then pal, and it's on you

NJ Uncut

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 30, 2019, 01:10:40 AM
Anyone else up for getting utterly obliterated that night? Like I'm talking full-bottle mashed.

Lad in work (he's a stern Labour supporter so he'll still vote) has requested off the week of the 9th Dec, so he can get totally blitzed.

Thing is, I get it. I really do. His motive was to escape all the political madness guaranteed that week. If he gets what he wants (Tories ousted) he'll already be on piss!

The fuck am I doing, planning to stay sober?

BritishHobo

Quote from: PowerButchi on October 30, 2019, 01:08:51 AM
I put Ruabon on the map, yo! I sincerely think Clwyd South is going to go blue though. The amount of people in the pubs around here who normally vote Labour who are making tory voting noises is a real shit surprise.

That's where I voted last time, it would be a shame to see it finally give in. Can only hope the Brexit Party put a dent in that vote.

Neville Chamberlain

Probably Tory or Lib Dems. I was going to vote Labour, but then I saw a picture of Corbyn with his tie on a bit wonky and I found that unacceptable.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Edit - deleted on request

BritishHobo

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 30, 2019, 12:49:13 AM
This is a no brainer in a parliamentary system in which voting Labour could result in Jeremy Corbyn as PM.

This is the thing, and was my sticking point last year. It made me laugh that I said in my post in 2017 that this was our only chance to vote for someone like this. Here we are again! I can't not. But can I not? Is this how dispiriting elections have always been?

willpurry

Genuinely viscerally hate every party since they all want to hurt people, just different groups.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: willpurry on October 30, 2019, 07:55:56 AM
Genuinely viscerally hate every party since they all want to hurt people, just different groups.

Harming the poor, the homeless and the sick is worse than harming the rich, moneyed elite who can survive the screw turning

My advice to anyone here really is set foot in a food bank. Once you get around the concept of why they're needed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's an absolutely absurd conclusion.

Let's not save this hospital from burning down because some of the firefighters have criminal records.

Shall we stop this vast swathe of the populace being treated like shit? No because it would be rude to deprive the oppressors of the means to do that.

Fucking hell.

NoSleep

Who do Labour want to hurt? They just want the billionaires to fairly pay for the privilege rather than actually make ordinary people even poorer.