Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'who the fuck am I even actually going to vote for?' thread

Started by BritishHobo, October 29, 2019, 11:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 08, 2019, 12:24:01 PM
Greens standing down in my constituency, not a sniff of any comms from Labour yet, and a nailed-on majority for the Tory incumbent. Anybody care to tell me why I should bother voting at all?

Increase vote share for Labour. Not worth much, but something. Also, it takes like 5 seconds, you lazy arse.

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 08, 2019, 08:02:25 AM
Whatever's happened to Change UK or whatever they're called? I miss that lovable bunch of hapless cunts.

MIKE GAPES WINNING IN YOUR CONSTITUENCY.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: pancreas on November 08, 2019, 12:32:17 PM
Increase vote share for Labour. Not worth much, but something. Also, it takes like 5 seconds, you lazy arse.

*suitably chastened*

Will certainly vote, and vote Labour, but it would be nice to have some kind of voting system like STV instead of FPTP. Do either of the main two parties support a move away from FPTP? Not aware that they do. That would be good. Presumably it's not in their interests to disrupt the duopoly.

Dr Rock

olliebean

I don't know who chose the Remain alliance's target seats, but a lot of them have strongly Remain Labour incumbents, or strongly Remain Labour candidates snapping at the Tories' heels, which seems to make it pretty clear that in those seats at least, it's not really about maximising the number of pro-Remain MPs but rather a thinly disguised plot to sabotage existing or potential Labour seats - even if in many cases it makes a Tory win more likely.

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on November 07, 2019, 09:22:31 AM
As far as Luciana Berger goes, she's left Labour, she's left Tinge, she's left Liverpool Wavertree, the only thing she hasn't left is herself.  That tells you something about her motivations.

WHAT KIND OF WOMAN WON'T EVEN LEAVE HERSELF

Well I've gone right off her.

Buelligan

Back in the day she could've left herself in a baggage locker at Victoria Station and lived out the remainder of her life as a happy useful person.  I blame the IRA.

littlefoot

Last weekend I got chatting to a lovely old-ish woman at LAX airport, who lives in Amber Rudd's old constituency. She's always voted, and always voted Tory. This time, she said, she's genuinely torn. She thinks very little of Boris, can't stand Farage, but also thinks Corbyn is "dangerous, and slightly mad". She said she'd probably end up holding her nose and voting Tory again, then hope for the best.

It was quite a depressing encounter, ultimately. She genuinely seemed like a floating voter and a prize catch for Labour and I implored her not to vote for something she knew wasn't good enough and to choose change this time, but it felt like she just couldn't get past Corbyn the man to consider Labour's policies.

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on November 09, 2019, 09:30:19 AM
Back in the day she could've left herself in a baggage locker at Victoria Station and lived out the remainder of her life as a happy useful person.  I blame the IRA.

Nowadays she wouldn't get two hours into that role before being isolated as a potential bomb threat and given a substantially 'controlled' conclusion to her entire career and life.  Hair cut short before it's been given a chance to grow.  The gorn-mad elth and safety aspirations of this goddamn pithole island.

Replies From View

Quote from: littlefoot on November 09, 2019, 11:45:04 AM
Last weekend I got chatting to a lovely old-ish woman at LAX airport, who lives in Amber Rudd's old constituency. She's always voted, and always voted Tory. This time, she said, she's genuinely torn. She thinks very little of Boris, can't stand Farage, but also thinks Corbyn is "dangerous, and slightly mad". She said she'd probably end up holding her nose and voting Tory again, then hope for the best.

It was quite a depressing encounter, ultimately. She genuinely seemed like a floating voter and a prize catch for Labour and I implored her not to vote for something she knew wasn't good enough and to choose change this time, but it felt like she just couldn't get past Corbyn the man to consider Labour's policies.

And what the hell is so repellent about "Corbyn the man" to most of these people anyway?  It's been terrifying to observe the successful media brainwashing of the electorate in action.  Slightly sad people going "oh well they are all the same, may as well vote for Boris, better the devil you know eh". 

Well it clearly isn't 'the devil you know' or you would know not to vote for him.  "Well we know the dangers of the Tories at least" - do you indeed?  You've been paying attention, have you?  Yet you'll still put your cross next to them in a general election.

Fuck's sake, innit.  These people would sand their own teeth down if you told them it's a choice between that and flossing, and that flossing would require going to the shops to buy some floss.  "There's some sandpaper in the house already; better the devil you know."

Buelligan

Quote from: Replies From View on November 09, 2019, 01:37:09 PM
...this goddamn pithole island.

Mountaineering on the Beauty, starring Lucrezia Borgia, earlier.  This doesn't look good for Corbyn.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on November 09, 2019, 01:40:45 PM
And what the hell is so repellent about "Corbyn the man" to most of these people anyway?  It's been terrifying to observe the successful media brainwashing of the electorate in action.  Slightly sad people going "oh well they are all the same, may as well vote for Boris, better the devil you know eh". 

Well it clearly isn't 'the devil you know' or you would know not to vote for him.  "Well we know the dangers of the Tories at least" - do you indeed?  You've been paying attention, have you?  Yet you'll still put your cross next to them in a general election.

Fuck's sake, innit.  These people would sand their own teeth down if you told them it's a choice between that and flossing, and that flossing would require going to the shops to buy some floss.  "There's some sandpaper in the house already; better the devil you know."

I seriously wondered whether the Lib-Dem "Skills Wallets" ad was intended to shore up Tory support amongst the "Better the devil you know" brigade. What with Boris being captioned "More of the same," the message is pretty much, "Vote Lib-Dem and what the fuck? Vote Tory and at least you'll know what you're getting."

canadagoose

How long does it usually take a prospective MP to answer a couple of questions? Is a week a reasonable timescale?

Dr Trouser

Quote from: canadagoose on November 09, 2019, 07:32:36 PM
How long does it usually take a prospective MP to answer a couple of questions? Is a week a reasonable timescale?

Depends how tricky they were. Must be a better way of getting your homework done surely?

NJ Uncut

Quote from: canadagoose on November 09, 2019, 07:32:36 PM

If they want to be an MP, it might take a short time indeed to give you a reply to your questions.

An answer, however, may never be forthcoming!! Take that, politicians.

canadagoose

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 09, 2019, 08:09:24 PM
An answer, however, may never be forthcoming!! Take that, politicians.
Given my experiences with my local MSP, you might not be wrong. He's not getting my vote in 2021, that's for sure.

Edit: They're with different parties but I get a big "arsed mate" vibe when I write to a lot of politicians for some reason. I'm always very polite so I don't know what their problem is.

Hank Venture

The planets are aligning for a real leftist Anglophone world: you could realistically have a Sanders-Corbyn pairing in charge of the US-UK. Or you could have Trump-Boris. It's going to be a real acid test, and lord knows what will happen — as the elections draw closer I can imagine the establishment machinery kicks into overdrive and the moneyed elites really start showing their fangs. One thing's for certain though: anyone not voting for Corbyn and/or Sanders should be taken out and shot.

BritishHobo

The Brexit Party candidate for Wrexham gives his address as 'an address in North East Somerset' - and, curiously, an article from Devon Live back in October seems to suggest he was originally announced as the candidate for Tiverton and Honiton before the election was called and the Brexit Party chose not to stand anyone there as part of their electoral pact. A real Wrexham man through and through.

I hope loads of people vote for him and it fucks them and the  Tories.

buttgammon

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 14, 2019, 06:03:23 PM
The Brexit Party candidate for Wrexham gives his address as 'an address in North East Somerset' - and, curiously, an article from Devon Live back in October seems to suggest he was originally announced as the candidate for Tiverton and Honiton before the election was called and the Brexit Party chose not to stand anyone there as part of their electoral pact. A real Wrexham man through and through.

I hope loads of people vote for him and it fucks them and the  Tories.

I'm literally wondering if he's ever set foot in Wrexham. Do you need to physically hand in your nomination papers? If not, I doubt he has.

idunnosomename

Quote from: buttgammon on November 14, 2019, 08:39:34 PM
I'm literally wondering if he's ever set foot in Wrexham. Do you need to physically hand in your nomination papers? If not, I doubt he has.
yes, you do, but i don't think you have to do it yourself (though most candidates do for the photo op)

buttgammon

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 14, 2019, 08:48:48 PM
yes, you do, but i don't think you have to do it yourself (though most candidates do for the photo op)

In that case, I suspect his first trip to Wrexham will probably be for the count.

BritishHobo

Something interesting has happened to Wrexham and Clwyd South, amongst others. We've become important. We've been identified as seats which could change hands and swing the election, and all of a sudden people are interested in us. Lots of articles discussing constituincies changing hands are referencing the areas. The Guardian are reporting from Wrexham and want to hear from people about what matters to them this election. Boris popped in to Bangor-on-Dee to unconvincingly state he's had a long-term desire to get a Tory into Clwyd South, promptly undermining his bollocks by forgetting the Tory candidate's name (not forgetting the time last election when he wrongly cheered in an article that the Tories had taken the seat). Had one of those pretend-newspaper election leaflets through the letterbox today from the Tories saying Wrexham voters will swing this election.

It's very exciting to matter.

At this point I know, with a little bit of sadness, that it can't be anyone but Labour