Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:41:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'who the fuck am I even actually going to vote for?' thread

Started by BritishHobo, October 29, 2019, 11:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on October 30, 2019, 09:56:46 AM
Yeah but here we vote for the party not the leader right? Its not the US.

Don't be mad boyo.  You just asked if it's "blair's labour" we're voting for.  You know the answer to that.

Quote from: Rizla on October 30, 2019, 09:55:02 AM
i'm in the same const as you CG, i'll be going slab this time i reckon; Gordon Munro isn't it? He's ok. He's alright. There was only a couple of thousand in it last time. I might even knock on a door or two. Feels weird saying that.

I applaud you, do it!  I honestly believe this is a moment when it really is all hands to the pump, if this gets done, the world will change for the better.  Immensely.

If it doesn't, things are really going to get a lot worse.  No one can afford to let that happen.

Buelligan

Quote from: canadagoose on October 30, 2019, 09:59:49 AM
He does seem all right, although I was a bit dismayed when he retweeted some transphobic rubbish a little while back. I don't suppose it really matters unless it affects his voting somehow.

It does matter, write and tell him how you feel.  Everybody needs to learn.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Buelligan on October 30, 2019, 10:01:46 AM

Yeah. Hassle your MP. I actually benefitted off meeting mine, it probably helps it was a Universal Credit issue and he was formerly Shadow Cabinet Labour, but they do work for us!

Unless you're absolutely fine with the idea of MPs riding the gravy train with nothing to do, use your voice. Maybe not all the time, but you spend longer in your constituency, I'd wager, and passing shit uphill is the least you can do with how much politics shit rolls downhill.

Rizla

He does seem all right, although I was a bit dismayed when he retweeted some transphobic rubbish a little while back. I don't suppose it really matters unless it affects his voting somehow.
i recently got kicked off twitter for saying all tories must die. can't say i miss it.

greencalx

The question in the thread title has I think in most cases a simple answer.

If you want a Tory government, vote Tory.

If you want a progressive government, vote for the candidate (Lab, Lib, SNP, Plaid, Green, ...) who is most likely to win the seat.

The only exception would be if that candidate is a crook or someone you would never see in the constituency. But as that affects the likelihood of winning the seat in itself, then it doesn't really change things.

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 30, 2019, 09:58:10 AM
Gonna vote SNP. Feel sorry for all you poor fuckers who don't live in Scotland.

I'm in a minority who finds an SNP hegemony as unappealing as a Tory government.

Non Stop Dancer

We've got a really strong indy candidate in East Devon, and that's who I'll be voting for again. It's been a Tory stronghold forever but in 2015 she got 24% of the vote compared to the winning 46%, and in 2017 she got 35% to his 48%. Up until 2010 the LibDems always got about 30% but were down to low single digits on the last two occasions, with Labour being a pretty consistent 10%. The incumbent is also stepping down this time around. Everything to play for basically.

I have recently moved to a strong remain area with a lickspittle Tory MP. Last election he got 53% of the vote to Labour's 33% and LibDem's 11%. The LibDems are pushing hard for the anti-Brexit vote but I think this could be a Labour win if they play their cards right. I would vote tactically, and think that will mean voting Labour which would be my second choice after Greens in a PR system.

Zetetic

Quote from: bgmnts on October 30, 2019, 09:56:46 AM
Yeah but here we vote for the party not the leader right? Its not the US.
In a UK/Westminster General Election you vote for a particular candidate to be your MP.

Obviously that's heavily tied up with both the party and the leadership of the party (since despite all the infighting MPs mostly vote according to how they're whipped), but it's worth understanding which actual people you can vote for - particularly in the few Plaid/Lab and SNP/Lab marginals.

Having said that, in this election it's hard for me to suggest voting for anyone other than Labour candidates where they might win. (It'd be different for quite a few Welsh Labour AMs for me at this point.)

Zetetic

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on October 30, 2019, 10:45:54 AM
The incumbent is also stepping down this time around. Everything to play for basically.
Can't tell if that's actually a net positive for the Tories. Convinced at least one family member to vote for Claire Wright down there.

pancreas

Quote from: The Boston Crab on October 30, 2019, 09:57:34 AM
ABC for me.

ABC.

All a Bunch of Cunts, so vote Green.

Difficult to know if this is serious. If it is, it's not particularly surprising given your apparent lack of political engagement.

machotrouts

Quote from: Rizla on October 30, 2019, 09:55:02 AM
i'm in the same const as you CG, i'll be going slab this time i reckon; Gordon Munro isn't it? He's ok. He's alright. There was only a couple of thousand in it last time. I might even knock on a door or two. Feels weird saying that.

Edinburgh North and Leith Cook'd and Bomb'd massive ✊

Had a gander at Gordon Munro's Twitter earlier, immediately heartened by him seeming to actually like Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party, not something you can take as a given with a Labour candidate. I lived in Edinburgh West in 2017 and their Labour candidate – John Woodcock's ex-wife – had a Twitter that was just a neverending screed of Corbyn Must Go. Never saw her mention anything she stood for. Her entire online presence was just "woman absolutely furious to be in the Labour Party". Finished 4th place.

Wary of Munro, no tweets with any identifiable humour or personality, probably a Russian bot, beware. What was the transphobia? Can't be sure if Deidre Brock is better on this front, some pat-on-the-back retweeting going on between her and Joanna Cherry yesterday, nothing transphobic but she might catch TERF germs, also I saw her say something nice about Jess Phillips and if that isn't against all the core Labour values I believe in I don't know what is.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Zetetic on October 30, 2019, 10:54:33 AM
Can't tell if that's actually a net positive for the Tories.

Yeah, I was pondering that as I wrote it. In truth I think the vote will come down to whether Labour and Libdem voters will see sense and vote for her, as she's too much of a soft leftie to take away many votes from the Tories. Hopefully the Brexit Company will field a candidate and split the RW vote but I can't find any info about that.

Norton Canes

Would anyone consider voting for the Brexit Party as the best means by which to prevent a Tory candidate being elected?

(^ Devil's advocate)

canadagoose

Quote from: machotrouts on October 30, 2019, 11:17:09 AM
Edinburgh North and Leith Cook'd and Bomb'd massive ✊

Had a gander at Gordon Munro's Twitter earlier, immediately heartened by him seeming to actually like Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party, not something you can take as a given with a Labour candidate. I lived in Edinburgh West in 2017 and their Labour candidate – John Woodcock's ex-wife – had a Twitter that was just a neverending screed of Corbyn Must Go. Never saw her mention anything she stood for. Her entire online presence was just "woman absolutely furious to be in the Labour Party". Finished 4th place.

Wary of Munro, no tweets with any identifiable humour or personality, probably a Russian bot, beware. What was the transphobia? Can't be sure if Deidre Brock is better on this front, some pat-on-the-back retweeting going on between her and Joanna Cherry yesterday, nothing transphobic but she might catch TERF germs, also I saw her say something nice about Jess Phillips and if that isn't against all the core Labour values I believe in I don't know what is.
Hurray! We should do a CaB meet at the Shore or something.

The transphobic thing was one of Gina Davidson's dogshit articles in the Scotsman. I can't remember which one it was specifically; just some usual nonsense about trans women "erasing" women or something. Maybe they're just pals, but I'd rather he didn't retweet any of that rubbish. As for Brock retweeting Cherry, I probably didn't see that because Cherry has *me* blocked - I've never interacted with her, so that's very mature and reasonable of her.

Buelligan

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 30, 2019, 11:23:03 AM
Would anyone consider voting for the Brexit Party as the best means by which to prevent a Tory candidate being elected?

(^ Devil's advocate)

I see what you're saying but I really absolutely wouldn't.  There are some lines that just cannot be crossed and that, my dear chap, is definitely one of them. 

NoSleep

I might have considered voting for the Brexit party in my area but I await further information. Sam Gyimah is my MP and a Tory rebel remainer, now LibDem, so I expect a new candidate will be put forward by the Tories in this safe seat that also voted Leave. I expect the new candidate will be full-on Brexit so it won't matter about trying to vote them out and I can just vote Labour on principal. If Sam Gyimah leaves the LibDems (unlikely) and returns to hold the seat, then I'm sure the Brexit party will run against him with a chance of winning.

Buelligan

That would be extremely unlikely because I'm pretty sure the tories, even if they can forgive Gyimah, which I'm sure they won't, will want a reliable winner as a candidate.  And Sam Gyimah's a pretty unreliable winner in a strong leave seat. 

And if the Brexit Party Ltd did have a chance of winning, I'd vote tory to stop them.  I think they're worse than the tories (and that's a big admission).  Their influence is what's brought all this about.  I say all of this, maybe not all, but the Brexit thing and the huge shift to the right.

NJ Uncut

(^ Devil's advocate)

Now that would be a grim place to live!

NoSleep

Quote from: Buelligan on October 30, 2019, 11:58:33 AM
That would be extremely unlikely because I'm pretty sure the tories, even if they can forgive Gyimah, which I'm sure they won't, will want a reliable winner as a candidate.  And Sam Gyimah's a pretty unreliable winner in a strong leave seat. 

And if the Brexit Party Ltd did have a chance of winning, I'd vote tory to stop them.  I think they're worse than the tories (and that's a big admission).  Their influence is what's brought all this about.  I say all of this, maybe not all, but the Brexit thing and the huge shift to the right.

The only argument for voting for the Brexit party would be to undermine a Tory majority in Parliament; hopefully giving Labour the largest number of seats of an individual party and even an outright majority. Failing an outright majority Labour would have to form a coalition with the SNP. I would have to guess whether the LibDems would join them but I'd hope they would not join the Tories as that would be their final treacherous nail in their own coffin.

Noonling

Quote from: Buelligan on October 30, 2019, 10:01:46 AM

This. Vote Labour if that's the best move to keep out the Tories, but if Munro does get it, write to voice your concerns. If any gender-related bills are passed in the next X years/months/seconds then his (possible) views could actually affect his voting.

Blue Jam

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 30, 2019, 01:10:40 AM
Anyone else up for getting utterly obliterated that night? Like I'm talking full-bottle mashed.

This is my plan also. Booking the 13th off werk as I type. There's no way I'm watching the election coverage sober, no-one should do that to themselves.

Kelvin

You all need to vote Labour, with the possible exception of people who know Labour will never win in their borough, but a win could be achieved by an alternative party that realistically might back Labour policies (Plaid, Green, SNP).

Categorically don't vote Lib Dems, they'll just support the Tories and block Labour at every turn.

NoSleep

So in Tory/Lib marginals it is better to give it to the Tory?

Blue Jam

Oh baws, just realised my werk xmas do is on the 12th. I shall have to pace myself, can't peak too early.

idunnosomename

Quote from: NoSleep on October 30, 2019, 01:03:07 PM
So in Tory/Lib marginals it is better to give it to the Tory?
half of the lib dems in parliament were tories this time last year so what difference does it make

NoSleep

The difference is that as Tories they simply make up a number for the Tories in Parliament. As LibDems they will ensure that the LibDems will be assigned to the dustbin of history (dependant on what they decide to do, of course). But for now the reduced number of Tories will count toward Labour having, hopefully, the largest number in Parliament for a single party, if not a clear majority; which will give them first dibs at forming a government, whether requiring a coalition with, say, the SNP (who have said this could happen), or not.

A very small but maybe important difference. (My question to Kelvin was really about this)

pancreas

The best that can be said for the orange piss triangles is that they might provide insurance against Brexit in case we don't get a Lab/SNP majority. That's worth something.

Zetetic

(^ Devil's advocate)
No, but I might, maybe, consider convincing would-be Tory voters that they should.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 30, 2019, 01:08:12 PM
Oh baws, just realised my werk xmas do is on the 12th. I shall have to pace myself, can't peak too early.

That's one thing Cummings was planning on - how many people over 50 are going to be going to Christmas Works drinks, often straight from work, on that thursday? Compared to 18-35 year olds.