Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:49:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The 'who the fuck am I even actually going to vote for?' thread

Started by BritishHobo, October 29, 2019, 11:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 30, 2019, 01:08:12 PM
Oh baws, just realised my xmas twerk is on the 12th. I shall have to pace myself, can't peak too early.

Kelvin

Quote from: NoSleep on October 30, 2019, 01:03:07 PM
So in Tory/Lib marginals it is better to give it to the Tory?

I'd say neither. Vote Labour there to get the popular vote up.

NoSleep

I have to disagree there; the less Tory MPs the better. Not that the Libs are much of an improvement but the goal must be Labour having the greatest number of MPs of any individual party (at the very least) and the Tories are the biggest threat to that.

Quote from: machotrouts on October 30, 2019, 11:17:09 AM
Edinburgh North and Leith Cook'd and Bomb'd massive ✊

Had a gander at Gordon Munro's Twitter earlier, immediately heartened by him seeming to actually like Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party, not something you can take as a given with a Labour candidate. I lived in Edinburgh West in 2017 and their Labour candidate – John Woodcock's ex-wife – had a Twitter that was just a neverending screed of Corbyn Must Go. Never saw her mention anything she stood for. Her entire online presence was just "woman absolutely furious to be in the Labour Party". Finished 4th place.

Wary of Munro, no tweets with any identifiable humour or personality, probably a Russian bot, beware. What was the transphobia? Can't be sure if Deidre Brock is better on this front, some pat-on-the-back retweeting going on between her and Joanna Cherry yesterday, nothing transphobic but she might catch TERF germs, also I saw her say something nice about Jess Phillips and if that isn't against all the core Labour values I believe in I don't know what is.

I'm also in this constituency.  Not made up my mind yet.   Deidre Brock seems OK and I prefer the SNP's stance on Brexit.

greencalx

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on October 30, 2019, 06:25:30 PM
Deidre Brock seems OK and I prefer the SNP's stance on Brexit.

https://www.snp.org/policies/what-is-the-snp-plan-for-brexit/

We will continue to press the Government to rule out a catastrophic no deal. No deal would be catastrophic and would have severe and disproportionate impacts on Scotland – on food supply, on medicines, on transport, and rural matters.

Same as Labour.

Having wasted so much time, and having brought the country to the brink of chaos and crisis, the UK Government must now agree to the SNP's plea to halt or revoke Article 50. This would stop the UK crashing out of the EU and allow a sensible debate about the choices now available to take place and an informed choice to be made.

This has sort of happened, although I grant you that Labour haven't gone as far as saying we should revoke A50.

We believe that MPs should come together to support a new referendum on EU membership. The debate in 2016 has been consistently shown to have been manipulated and undermined by misinformation and false promises. The truth has now been laid bare and in the absence of a consensus in Parliament the choice must be put back to the people.

Same as Labour.

ZoyzaSorris

Even I'd vote for the libs in a clear lib/tory marginal this time round and I see them as only marginally more palatable than Hitler.

BritishHobo

I think I would have to do the same, as dirty as it would make me feel.

Dr Rock

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/30/tactical-voting-could-deliver-remain-victory-in-election-study

QuoteTactical voting could deliver remain victory in election, study claims
Conservatives could be denied majority if one in three remain supporters switch votes, research suggests

Boris Johnson would fail to get a majority if one in three pro-remain voters in England and Wales switched their vote, the campaign group Best for Britain said.

In this scenario, the Conservatives would win 309 seats, Labour 233, the Liberal Democrats 34, Plaid Cymru four and the Greens one. When the Scottish National party, Democratic Unionist party and the Commons Speaker are factored in, this would give pro-remain parties a majority of four.

Best for Britain has launched GetVoting.org to give tactical voting advice based on postcode. Naomi Smith, the organisation's chief executive, said: "If we vote tactically we can stop a Boris Johnson majority and return a parliament that much more accurately reflects the state of the country's views on the issue of Europe, which is now a majority pro-European country and we need a majority pro-European parliament.

And that's assuming Labour don't do better than expected. And assuming the Lib-Dems don't betray everyone.

Dr Rock

thought this was interesting

QuoteHere's some more from John Curtice when he was asked by LBC a few hours ago if he had any predictions regarding the results of the election. He said, Well, I'll give you one and you might laugh but it's potentially important: "I think the safest prediction is probably that we are going to have a record number of non-Conservative and non-Labour MPs in this parliament because the SNP look set to win the vast majority of the seats in Scotland. The Liberal Democrats given their position in the polls should do extremely well. We expect Caroline Lucas and the Green Party to hang on to her seat. We've got guaranteed 18 from N. Ireland and 4 from Wales. We could well have more than 100 MPs who do not belong to either of the other two parties. Now, that matters for two reasons. The first is that it makes it difficult for either Conservative or Labour to win an overall majority if you're doing it off the backbench, 100 of the seats are already spoken for. Secondly, it matters because – we have to remember here - this is an asymmetric election. It's an election that Boris Johnson has to win. If he does not get a majority or something very, very close to it, he will not be able – almost undoubtedly – he will not be able to stay in government because the Conservatives do not have any friends elsewhere. The Labour Party, in contrast, at least has the possibility of doing a deal with the SNP, a deal with the Liberal Democrats, getting the support of the Greens and maybe even the DUP not standing in their way. So, bear in mind, this is not an election that Labour have to win to stop Brexit, it's an election in which they and the other opposition parties simply have to deny the Conservatives a majority."

BritishHobo

BritishHobo

No cheers for that MWLD, that is interesting. I've been worried about the outcome of this, but it hadn't occurred to me that anything other than a clear majority is going to be the end for Boris. That's a very cheering thought, as I can easily see another 2017 situation.

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 30, 2019, 10:03:44 PM
it hadn't occurred to me that anything other than a clear majority is going to be the end for Boris. That's a very cheering thought

Yeah i thought so too.  Fingers crossed. 

jamiefairlie

Problem with Curtice's analysis is that he's ruling out a LD/Tory coalition.

I just can't see that happening given that they are completely opposed on Brexit.

Thursday

As awful as the Lib Dems are, to suggest there's now no difference between them and the Tories is a bit silly considering the only actual parliamentary votes that happen now are about Brexit where they often will vote the same as Labour.

Cloud

If you want the Tories out, for the love of god, vote tactically.  Go to https://tactical.vote put your postcode in and it'll tell you.

Don't waste your vote blindly on the Lib Dems just because they have a revoke policy.   Labour will have a referendum between their own Brexit or Remain and I think there's a very reasonable chance of remain if they did so, so this would be far more effective than voting for a party who have NO chance of getting the most seats and probably ending up effectively voting for Tory.  Such is the way of our current system.

(If it's not obvious, I'll 100% be voting Labour, and the tactical site agrees with that)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on October 30, 2019, 10:50:10 PM
I just can't see that happening given that they are completely opposed on Brexit.

Promise them a 2nd ref and then screw them over like they did with PR. LDs want to feel important, that's the carrot.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 30, 2019, 11:16:52 PM
Promise them a 2nd ref and then screw them over like they did with PR. LDs want to feel important, that's the carrot.

Can you actually see Johnson, Mogg and co Promising them a 2nd ref?  Not gonna happen imo.

idunnosomename

Q:
do you live in birmingham yardley?

N: vote labour
Y: deselect jess phillips, the worst person in the world

imitationleather

Aren't most boomers on fucking Belle and Sebastian cruises in the Caribbean during the winter months?

Bobtoo

I always vote for the party that's most likely to beat the Lib-Dems, and have done since 1992, helpfully they always send me a flier to tell me which party that is.

I nearly didn't vote the last time because I wouldn't have had time to get home from work and back out to the polling station, so I went in on the way home from work. SNP won by a majority of 2 votes, I can't wait to see the bar graph they produce this time round.

greencalx

Quote from: jamiefairlie on October 30, 2019, 11:16:52 PM

If the Tories are the largest party and only the LDs have enough MPs to get them over the line, it's a done deal.

hamfist

I just wanna be sure : CLEARLY Labour for me here in York Outer, right ?

I want to #cancel the Tories. I want a Jezza government. But mostly I want to boot Julian Sturdy off his throne.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That's the kind of constituency where dickhead Remainers will hand it to the Tories on a Platter.

But you sir, you can show them the error of their ways.

Also, Sturdy? Fucking hell. Strong and Sturdy

Ah, looking more closely there is a chance if the Brexit Party campaign there that Mr Sturdy could be in trouble. As long as Remainers choose 1 candidate.

hamfist

I now joined Momentum too, was just Labour before. I will get my arse out there and make this happen. This is my solemn promise.

Dr Rock

I think Farage is going to announce today if his party will contest only seats where Labour would lose out if they did. I reckon the possibility of not standing in Tory seats was a last-ditch attempt to arrange some deal with the tories, but that's not going to happen, so I'd bet they will be standing in Tory seats, and possibly letting Corbyn into No 10 as a result.

Buelligan

Quote from: hamfist on October 31, 2019, 08:06:35 AM
I now joined Momentum too, was just Labour before. I will get my arse out there and make this happen. This is my solemn promise.

Hurrah!  Please do!

olliebean

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on October 30, 2019, 11:19:48 PM
Can you actually see Johnson, Mogg and co Promising them a 2nd ref?  Not gonna happen imo.

I can see it if the Lib Dems are too stupid to define the options in advance (like they were with the PR referendum) and we end up with a referendum on Johnson's Deal vs No Deal.

Dr Rock