Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:52:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What CD is Paddy McAloon taking to the till?

Started by Bennett Brauer, October 29, 2019, 11:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Perhaps it's obvious but I can't see it.

I am not a stalker.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

purlieu

2CD compilation of some sorts. Probably The Best Classical Album in the World... Ever! 26 or something. What a philistine.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 30, 2019, 08:00:11 AM
Did you take this picture yourself?

No. Found it recently in a Downloads folder. It's HMV in Newcastle, and from the defunct Sproutnet forum 3 years ago.

Funcrusher

Two for one set of Oi:The Album and Strength Through Oi

idunnosomename

im confused how hes holding the disc and even why he's taken it out of the jewel case.

Twed

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on October 29, 2019, 11:29:44 PM
Perhaps it's obvious but I can't see it.
I've been trying to stop myself from making a bad-taste joke about this.

Icehaven

I think if I saw any famous musician in a shop buying a CD I'd be disappointed if it wasn't one of their own.

boki

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 30, 2019, 01:31:23 PM
im confused how hes holding the disc and even why he's taken it out of the jewel case.

My guess is that he's returning a defective item and is preparing diligently for the appropriate inspection.

idunnosomename

Perhaps it's surplus stock of his own hes try to sneakily swap for another product.

Head Gardener

do people still buy CD's? they are 10 for £1 in my local charity shops including Prefab Sprout ones, that said it looks like the back of one of those Rough Trade Counter Culture comps

purlieu

Quote from: Head Gardener on October 31, 2019, 02:46:10 PM
do people still buy CD's?
Yes, they outsell both vinyl and download albums in, I believe, all international territories. The death of the CD has been reported by the media for about ten years and is still a long, long way from happening. Vinyl is considerably more profitable for the music industry, which might be why they seem keen to exaggerate it.

Twed

Quote from: purlieu on October 31, 2019, 04:26:52 PM
Yes, they outsell both vinyl and download albums in, I believe, all international territories. The death of the CD has been reported by the media for about ten years and is still a long, long way from happening. Vinyl is considerably more profitable for the music industry, which might be why they seem keen to exaggerate it.
That's in comparison to other physical formats though. I think it's fair to say that physical formats are on a steady decline. You can't say that CDs aren't dying out by comparing them to vinyl.

purlieu

Yes, there's definitely been a massive decline, but I find it annoying how often people seem to think that CDs literally aren't bought anymore, when their sales are holding up far stronger than people predicted. I remember the widely-spread bollocks story in early 2012 that major labels were giving up on the format at the end of the year, other than deluxe editions, and the response seemed to be "ah yes, they've had their time."

Obviously streaming accounts for the vast majority these days, but after that, CD still comes second. In Japan the format still accounts for something like 80% of all music revenue.

Head Gardener

I met a trader at the last Reading fair who was selling just Japanese 7"s which he went over there to bring back and sell here and he told me there
are now cassette shops in Tokyo selling nothing but cassette tapes, so there are Japs on the lookout over here now to make a killing back home.

Twed

Quote from: purlieu on October 31, 2019, 06:10:45 PM
Yes, there's definitely been a massive decline, but I find it annoying how often people seem to think that CDs literally aren't bought anymore, when their sales are holding up far stronger than people predicted. I remember the widely-spread bollocks story in early 2012 that major labels were giving up on the format at the end of the year, other than deluxe editions, and the response seemed to be "ah yes, they've had their time."

Obviously streaming accounts for the vast majority these days, but after that, CD still comes second. In Japan the format still accounts for something like 80% of all music revenue.
It is clearly the dominant physical format