Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:29:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Little Britain Brexit special

Started by idunnosomename, October 30, 2019, 09:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

[tag]indefensible HS Art thread ideas[/tag]

imitationleather

I showed my girlfriend Rock Profiles a while ago, as for some reason I'd thought of the Blur episode and the memory tickled me. I had remembered it being really good. It turns it is only okay, and that's largely because of David Walliams' severe lack of comedic chops stinking up the place. He can only do his characters as either flamboyant homosexuals or mentally handicapped. Neither of which are a good look in 2019.

It pisses me off that he's become such a mega-wealthy huge star on so little talent. I'd say he's a Corden for our times, if they didn't both occupy the same time.

madhair60

I think about the Prince episode a lot

poodlefaker

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 30, 2019, 10:58:12 PM
Lucas is basically a comedy nerd who idolises the sainted likes of Vic and Bob.

The story that always irks me about Lucas is that after watching the first Big Night Out he actually phoned up Channel 4 to complain how shit it was, before coming to love it later. WTF?

I saw them doing Bernard Chumley above a pub in Hackney in the mid-90s and thought Lucas was a brilliant character comic and Walliams was an angry, unfunny dickhead. He just seemed full of self-loathing.

idunnosomename

What I don't understand is how he became the next Roald Dahl with such books as "Mr Poo and his Magic Shoe" and "Uncle Money-Launderer"

ajsmith2

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 31, 2019, 09:57:01 AM
What I don't understand is how he became the next Roald Dahl with such books as "Mr Poo and his Magic Shoe" and "Uncle Money-Launderer"

I work in children's libraries and it's crazy how big he is in that sphere. I mean, a lot of celebs dabble with kids books and get a deal on the back of their name but it usually goes nowhere in terms of having any genuine traction with the intended audience, but Walliams is seriously huge with young uns, to the extent that it dwarfs his preceding career in terms of name recognition with anyone under (at least) 20. The kids of today will be writing his obituaries in the future and his comedy career will be lucky to a be a footnote to them in the glow of his ultimate destiny as 'beloved Children's author'.

Jerzy Bondov

Personally I think he's shite and having Quentin Blake illustrations doesn't magically make you Roald Dahl. I do love Matt Lucas though. Has anyone seen the risible Mads Mikkelsen Netflix film Polar? Lucas is the villain and it's one of the funniest performances he's ever given. Utterly insane.

madhair60

Thinking about the initial Lou and Andy sketches always makes me grin. The first one, where they go to the opera, is a classic as far as I'm concerned.

Natnar

I guess this puts to bed any of the "Lucas and Walliams cant stand each other now" rumours, although it'd be interesting to find out if they approached the BBC with the Brexit special or if they were asked to do it by Radio 4.

Petey Pate

Quote from: imitationleather on October 31, 2019, 05:51:26 AMIt turns it is only okay, and that's largely because of David Walliams' severe lack of comedic chops stinking up the place. He can only do his characters as either flamboyant homosexuals or mentally handicapped.

'He doesn't have the range!'

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: imitationleather on October 31, 2019, 05:51:26 AM
I showed my girlfriend Rock Profiles a while ago, as for some reason I'd thought of the Blur episode and the memory tickled me. I had remembered it being really good. It turns it is only okay, and that's largely because of David Walliams' severe lack of comedic chops stinking up the place. He can only do his characters as either flamboyant homosexuals or mentally handicapped. Neither of which are a good look in 2019.

It pisses me off that he's become such a mega-wealthy huge star on so little talent. I'd say he's a Corden for our times, if they didn't both occupy the same time.

Lazily mocking terrible people will always have a valid place in comedy, and that place is precisely where Rock Profiles started out, late night on a satellite channel that no longer exists.

The other advantage of a radio show is that Lucas and Walliams wouldn't have to be in the same room at the same time, if rumoured hatreds are true.

neveragain

If they record in front of an audience (which they did) then they would have to be present together.

Phil_A

They didn't speak to each other for years but have now buried the hatchet, apparently.

purlieu

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 30, 2019, 11:24:00 PMalso no one's mentioned "eh-eh-ehhhh" anne. fucking hell.
Part 2 in the 'disabled people are actually faking it' series. Although her saying "tonight, Matthew" to Cat Deeley in the Stars in Their Eyes sketch did make me laugh.

Kryton

The Mr Mann stuff was good though. Probably Walliams' best part. But not a huge fan of the rest of the stuff.

purlieu

I found it was generally a sketch of diminishing returns, but the original Pirate Memory Game incarnation is possibly one of my all-time favourite sketches. I wish the whole thing had been more like that.

idunnosomename

Pirate memory game was a great one off but they had to turn it into a catchphrase

idunnosomename

This is ok so far but some of Matt Lucas' voices seem disappointingly off.

Nice to hear Paul Putner though.

idunnosomename

And Anthony Head as the Blair-a-like who i completely forgot about. It was fine. Also quite nice to kill off racist vomiting old WI lady but would be nice if her heart had exploded instead.

Download the third party app Radioplayer and listen to it through that for some noughties nostalgia.

madhair60

This was alright. Decent fun. Several advertised characters didn't appear, I was curious where they'd take Emily Howard, but no-show.

Petey Pate

This definitely had a very Radio 4 vibe to it with all the Brexit references. Parts of it felt like it could have been in the Now Show.

This was okay as a one off but nothing special. They clearly wanted to avoid causing any controversy by not using some of their more problematic characters ('I'm a lady' was absent). Still a lot of easy and cheap gay jokes but nothing I can imagine being that offensive to anyone.

One problematic aspect of Little Britain that rarely get mentioned is that David Wailliams, playing the ex-children's TV presenter character Des Kay, would basically assault audience members in their live show. I'm surprised that he never got punched or attacked during this routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Re-JkJOA0

Tony Tony Tony

The Grauniad review seeks to blame the Beeb for it being a lukewarm show...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/oct/31/little-britain-radio-review-neutered-by-bbc-impartiality-rules

Anyone would think that Lawson had an axe to grind with the BBC after he left Front Row for 'personal reasons'.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Petey Pate on October 30, 2019, 03:41:38 PM
Now Andy are you sure you want to vote Leave?

Yeah.

But you've always said that the European Union was an important development in post-world war 2 geopolitics in keeping peace in the continent and that it funds so many important things like Regional Development in Cornwall?

Yeah I know.

So which one is it, are you going to vote Leave or are you going vote Remain?

Leave.

Are you sure? Cause once you've voted, you can't change it.

Leave.

Okay, right let's just wheel you over and get your ballot paper...

[...]

I wanna Remain in the EU.

Brilliant.