Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:20:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cold Hard Death at two in the afternoon

Started by BJBMK2, October 30, 2019, 01:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJBMK2

TW: Link 1 contains real footage of the aftermath of car accidents. Link 2 contains pretty realistic, nasty scenes of abuse and neglect (not real, thankfully)

There's two PIF's I want to share for your consideration. This isn't so much a general "Scary PIF" thread, cos I know we've had about 25 of those. But on re watching a select few (cos what else could I be doing on a Wednesday afternoon?), it struck me...how on earth were these ever allowed to be broadcast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et1Y1wIhv8s
- THINK! PIF from 2000-ish showing real life, actual, People Actually Died FFS, footage of the aftermath of a road accident(s). There were a few of these, some of which were accompanied by cheery Christmas music. The one featuring footage of bloodied, mangled up people being led into an ambulance accompanied by I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday is something that will probably never leave my brain. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3dw6ir4mkE - NSPCC PIF from around the same time. Highly triggering, nasty, and whose idea was it to put this on in the middle of the afternoon? I definitely remember seeing this broadcast once at about 3pm, when kids would have just been finishing school.

Both are in the aim of a good cause, mind. I don't want to give the impression that I don't think either of these pieces shouldn't have been made. But picturing something this brutal being broadcast today seems very unlikely.

Saying that, I don't actually watch much, if any TV these days. For all I know, these could be on rotation 24/7 and I wouldn't notice.

Have there been any similar moments for you? From TV, PIFs, adverts, radio, whatever? Where you've just thought to yourself, "How on earth did Ofcom let this get through?".

madhair60

There was a 'World In Action' episode around 1980, shown at 8.30pm, where a Scottish gangster was repeatedly shouting the word 'cunt'. It's the only time I ever heard the word used on mainstream British TV up to very recently.

Quote from: BJBMK2 on October 30, 2019, 01:10:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3dw6ir4mkE - NSPCC PIF from around the same time. Highly triggering, nasty, and whose idea was it to put this on in the middle of the afternoon? I definitely remember seeing this broadcast once at about 3pm, when kids would have just been finishing school.
Jesus Christ, I thought this one was bad. What were they hoping to achieve with that? Because whatever good intentions they had, it's far more likely that they just upset victims of child abuse.

Phil_A

The bizarre "energy efficient boilers" ad that's directed like a child abuse PIF. What were they thinking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MA3MUK1pXQ

BJBMK2

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on October 30, 2019, 04:00:11 PM
Jesus Christ, I thought this one was bad. What were they hoping to achieve with that? Because whatever good intentions they had, it's far more likely that they just upset victims of child abuse.

I won't go on too much about it, but that first part with the mother screaming at the baby, which is mixed EXTREMELY LOUD, is fucking upsetting and raw for me to listen to, for a number of reasons. It's just a bit too..."real". Some of the later voiceovers in the piece are still not nice, but they feel a bit more theatrical, acted, like something you might hear in a particularly dark radio drama.

Kudos to that actress I guess, but...fuck.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Phil_A on October 30, 2019, 04:04:00 PM
The bizarre "energy efficient boilers" ad that's directed like a child abuse PIF. What were they thinking?

Oh wow! Not seen that in a while. That used to be on rotation in the daytime, on Cartoon Pissing Network.

Along with that, the Judderman, and the aforementioned PIF's, it's a wonder I watched any telly at all back in the day...

Twed

Quote from: Phil_A on October 30, 2019, 04:04:00 PM

This one was really brilliant.

Twed

Quote from: BJBMK2 on October 30, 2019, 04:06:05 PMSome of the later voiceovers in the piece are still not nice, but they feel a bit more theatrical, acted, like something you might hear in a particularly dark radio drama.
It is a bit odd to find yourself thinking "the incest rape performance isn't quite up to scratch". I think you probably can't have things be too real and ideally most people don't have a reference for performing or directing these things.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Twed on October 30, 2019, 04:53:25 PM
It is a bit odd to find yourself thinking "the incest rape performance isn't quite up to scratch". I think you probably can't have things be too real and ideally most people don't have a reference for performing or directing these things.

That's very true. Every bit of the ad is effective, I didn't mean to say the acting was sub par, or crap. I just meant that the first section with the screaming mother feels scarily, horribly real to me, which is what makes it all so effective and memorable. That's not to say the other sections suffer as a result of that.

That's probably also down to my personal reaction to the scene. A survivor of incest rape may, unfortunately,  feel the same way about the latter scenes. I  hope that there weren't too many instances of this, obviously. But like Carpool Dragon said, it probably hurt more victims then it helped, just for how raw it all is.

But yeah, I agree that things can't really be TOO real, especially when your dealing with sensitive topics like this.

Twed

Quote from: BJBMK2 on October 30, 2019, 05:09:46 PM
That's very true. Every bit of the ad is effective, I didn't mean to say the acting was sub par, or crap. I just meant that the first section with the screaming mother feels scarily, horribly real to me, which is what makes it all so effective and memorable. That's not to say the other sections suffer as a result of that.
I meant "me" when I said "yourself" really. I did find the performance of the rape bit a lot more theatrical than the rest, but I also find it the most disturbing part (even if the mother shouting was more real and arresting). It's interesting to analyse the thought processes this stuff puts you through.