Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:05:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gruff Rhys - Pang!

Started by Egyptian Feast, October 30, 2019, 05:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

This was mentioned in the old Gruff thread, but thought it deserved one of its own. I've really liked all of Gruff's solo albums (full disclosure: I have not heard the Tony Da Gatorra collaboration), but I think Pang! might be my favourite now. I find his albums take a few listens before they sink in, but this grabbed me immediately and it hasn't lost any appeal after repeated listens. Babelsberg received a lot more acclaim, but I prefer him in a more stripped-down setting, ideally singing in Welsh.

Album of the year in my gaff, but what do you reckon?

DrGreggles

I love it.

He's doing it in its entirety on his current tour and it sounds amazing.
Can't remember (or say) any of the titles yet, but there's a Massive Attack-esque rhythm to a couple of tracks, which is obviously a good thing.

All things considered, Gruff has been one of the most important songwriters/musicians for me over the last 25 years.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 30, 2019, 06:03:44 PM
I love it.

He's doing it in its entirety on his current tour and it sounds amazing.

Arggh, I missed my chance to catch him in London. I would've loved that. I haven't seen him do a solo show since the first round of shows promoting American Interior (heh, I just remembered him stopping and restarting a song because an audience member was clapping along out of time). Hopefully he'll come around again in the new year.

He's definitely one of the most important musicians of the last 25 years for me. While I'm glad SFA are still together and would like to see another album eventually, I can live without it if he keeps bringing out solo work of this quality.