Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:51:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you know what's Best for Britain?

Started by New folder, October 30, 2019, 07:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New folder

Well, the Lib Dems certainly do!

There are a couple of new "tactical voting" websites currently making rounds on twitter. The most prominent one is getvoting.org, launched by totally neutral bestforbritain.org which definitely has no affiliation with the Liberal Democrats whatsoever.

Here are couple examples of the suggested tactics:

Some Lib Dems in the comments are trying to justify this with "It's not 2017 anymore and labour voters en masse absolutely definitely will vote Lib Dems, and so should you! (tactically)"
Based on nothing more than the usual polls and speculations. Ironic if you take into the account the polls before the 2017GE. They are so shit that the only way they can get votes is by trickery and the manipulation of idiotic #FBPEers like this, that most people (hopefully) can see through in an instant. What a bunch of incompetent useless self-serving cunts.

They are actually advising people to vote Soubry of the Tinges.

Hopefully the clear buffoonery of this means that it won't take off.

Johnny Yesno

Tough one. I think I'd have to say The Best of The Beatles.

idunnosomename

Spitfires dropping british bulldogs and teabags halol

Queues

Fuck the piss diamonds

New folder

Just found out the Guardian is also promoting it - it's the third most viewed article on the site

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/30/tactical-voting-could-deliver-remain-victory-in-election-study

What is a "remain victory" anyway?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 30, 2019, 08:07:21 PM
Spitfires dropping british bulldogs and teabags halol

If anyone gives my kids halol teabags I swear I'll do time.

BritishHobo

Dr Rock

Oh I just posted this in one of the election threads as the title didn't give a clue what it was about. So don't blame me.

Blumf

Dr Rock

In Hendon it says I should vote for the LIB_DEMS!

2017 result

Matthew Offord     Con 25,078   
Mike Katz             Lab   24,006   
Alasdair Hill         LD    1,985
Carmen Legarda  Green   578

In fact if all the Lib-Dems voted Labour they'd take the seat.

Konki

Ah yes but if all the Labours voted Lib Dem then they'd take the seat. Masterplan!

H-O-W-L

kick out the support rungs and let us sink. that's what's best.

Dr Rock

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/30/tactical-voting-could-deliver-remain-victory-in-election-study

QuoteTactical voting website criticised for 'bogus' advice
Best for Britain website suggests backing Lib Dems in Labour-held marginals

A new tactical voting website has been criticised for advising pro-remain voters to back the Liberal Democrats in some seats where the party is way behind Labour, including key knife-edge marginals against the Conservatives.

The website, launched by the pro-remain Best for Britain organisation, suggested that voters should back the Lib Dems in Kensington, where the Labour MP Emma Dent Coad has a majority of just 20 against her Tory opponent.

The Lib Dems received just 4,724 votes there in 2017 compared with 16,313 for the Tories and 16,333 for Labour.

Likewise in Cities of London and Westminster, the website recommends voting Lib Dem, where the candidate got just 4,270 in 2017, compared with 18,005 for the successful Tory incumbent and 14,857 for Labour.

Both seats have high-profile Lib Dem defectors standing, with former Tory Sam Gyimah in Kensington and former Labour MP Chuka Umunna in Cities of London and Westminster.

Q&A
What is 'tactical voting'?
Show
Tests of the website suggested there were many examples of advice to vote Lib Dem in seats where there was little hope of victory and a vote for Jo Swinson's party would be likely to lead to a win for the Tories.

A senior Labour party source said: "The only person who benefits from this bogus advice is Boris Johnson and the vested interests he protects. This false information makes Johnson's sell-out Brexit deal more likely and its peddlers should be ashamed of themselves. A vote for the Lib Dems in almost every seat in the country helps put Johnson in Downing Street."

Naomi Smith, chief executive of Best for Britain, defended the voting guide. "Our tool uses MRP analysis, which is the only model that correctly predicted the shock wins for Labour in 2017, like Canterbury and Kensington," she said.

Fuck off Naomi Smith you dirty dirty trickster.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It uses MRP analysis...

.... Then changes the results they don't like

BlodwynPig

TrenterPercenter

Surely this violates electoral commission rules? As it misleads voters.

NoSleep

Quote from: New folder on October 30, 2019, 08:08:05 PM
Just found out the Guardian is also promoting it - it's the third most viewed article on the site

What is a "remain victory" anyway?

Have they changed this article, as it now reports on the LibDem bias and is headlined "Tactical voting website criticised for 'bogus' advice"?

ZoyzaSorris

Christ. What a bunch of c*nts. Wouldn't be surprised to find this was a secret project of Cummings.

NoSleep

The LibDems don't need any help from Cummings to be this stupid. Clearly the best strategy to remain in Europe is to vote Labour and in Tory/Lib marginals to vote Lib, but these people are too stupid to admit how much they need Labour and seem to prefer suiciding into another Tory government.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on October 31, 2019, 08:44:50 AM
Christ. What a bunch of c*nts. Wouldn't be surprised to find this was a secret project of Cummings.

How fucking dare you say "cum". Dearie me, the shitting language on some pissing people these days.

idunnosomename

JUST WANT MY FUCKING BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY BACK

Icehaven

It's telling me to vote Labour, which I was going to anyway. Is this some attempt to claim victory where Labour or whoever win where they've told people to vote something other than Lib Dem? "Well yes we came 7th out of 7 candidates but you see our tactical voting thing told everyone in this constituency to vote Labour, and they did, so that shows that really we have actually won." 

Dr Rock

Didn't there used to a trust-based thing where if you were a Labour voter in a safe Tory seat you could 'swap' votes with someone in a marginal who would like to vote Green, but would be willing to vote Labour if you gave your vote to the Greens or whoever?

New folder

Apparently Best for Britain CEO is Naomi Smith, former Lib Dem PPC

Here she is, with her bezzie mate Nick Leg  :)

Sebastian Cobb

Pastebin dump of their code. The logic is all in the front end. It's a chain of if statements.

https://pastebin.com/rK9Tct0t

Guess what it defaults to if you're in a tory marginal.

weekender

The Yesterday Channel is currently broadcasting what looks to be a rare live Pink Floyd performance.

chveik