Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:08:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Luigi's Mansion 3

Started by The Boston Crab, October 30, 2019, 09:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Might be worth a thread. It's 40 quid at shopto digital and physical so I went for it. I'll look forward to my first LM game and hope the reviews are genuine. If it's Toad Tracker level, that would be good enough for me. It's supposedly the best looking game on the system so I'm interested in what that means in practice.

madhair60

Really excited. Luigi's Mansion 2 is one of Nintendo's most underrated games. A brilliant, beautiful puzzle box. This seems to be that again, but you can play it with a mate. Perfect.

Consignia

Probably going to pick it up and give it a go. Never really played the series, I think rented 1 on the Gamecube back in the day. It's looks a good crack though.

Twed

Loved #1, didn't play #2 due to not having the system, mulling over getting #3. I don't have much free time at the moment so maybe I'll wait for it to get cheap.

Kelvin

I've ended up getting this, despite not being too impressed with what I've heard in the reviews. Think it's a shame the game doesn't have you reeling in ghosts like fish anymore, as that was a bit part of the appeal of 1, but hopefully the art design, set pieces and puzzles will keep it interesting. I've really liked the previews of the film studio floor, for example, so hopefully there's more where that came from.

Never played LM2, but the original is one of the best GameCube games, and feels weirdly underappreciated when people talk about the games of that era and Nintendo games in general. It's a short, packed, near flawless game, imo. Almost no filler at all.

This does look very nice, even in handheld resolution. I could do with something I feel like finishing because I still haven't got more than halfway through Toad's Treasure Tracker, Kirby Star Allies or Xenoblade Chronicles 2. A 15 hour consistent quality game is exactly what I want.

Although I'm still loving Divinity, Witcher, Overwatch and getting into Steins; Gate.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on October 31, 2019, 12:24:15 PMThink it's a shame the game doesn't have you reeling in ghosts like fish anymore
Oh FFS, really?

brat-sampson

Far too much else going on to pick this up right now, but I'm sure it's really really fun :(

I'm not being funny but after an hour or two with this today, it most reminds me of this:

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on October 31, 2019, 02:04:56 PM
Oh FFS, really?

Having now actually played it, catching ghosts is basically a case of stunning them with the light, 'reeling them in' for about 5 seconds, then hammering A while you slam them around. It's certainly less interesting than the original game's mechanic - although it's still early days, and there are already enemies that require different techniques to distract or stun.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the first couple of hours. The animation and art design is excellent, easily among the best looking games on Switch. Everything's interactive, there's a surprisingly creepy feel to it all, and everyone, including the ghosts, have a lot of personality. The opening with all the ghosts in disguise is particularly great, as they keep floating out of their shoes and cackling uncontrollably.

Some nice secrets too. Hidden rooms behind wallpaper, ghosts that only appear if you interact with something in an unusual way, etc. A promising start anyway.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on November 01, 2019, 12:33:11 PM
Having now actually played it, catching ghosts is basically a case of stunning them with the light, 'reeling them in' for about 5 seconds, then hammering A while you slam them around.
Oh, that was the case with a lot of the ghosts in the original.

Consignia

I'm not too far in it, but am enjoying it so far. I'm finding the controls a bit fiddly, but that could just be me. It absolutely oozes charm, though. Always preferred Luigi to Mario.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on November 01, 2019, 02:06:38 PM
I'm not too far in it, but am enjoying it so far. I'm finding the controls a bit fiddly, but that could just be me. It absolutely oozes charm, though. Always preferred Luigi to Mario.

Try changing it so you can turn separately from movement (ie. not the default), it's not perfect, but better.

Tbh, my pro controller is now drifting constantly, so I need to get a new one. Luigi was coping with his anxiety by twirling down the gloomy corridors last night.

Quote from: Twed on November 01, 2019, 01:13:51 PM
Oh, that was the case with a lot of the ghosts in the original.

No, it's fundamentally different. In the original there was a sustained push and pull, like in a fishing game - Luigi would get pulled around rooms and you had to tug the opposite direction to inflict higher damage. In this one you basically just hammer A after the initial few seconds, and doing so kills them pretty much straight away.

I'm hoping they compensate for this by having enemies which require more strategy to initially stun, and that's clearly  the case with the plentiful bosses. Really, though, the smash move feels overpowered, and would probably be better with a better risk/reward balance - drag ghosts for longer, and charge up more slams, but risk losing them all if the ghost escapes. As it is, the slam charges up in a few seconds, then you just hammer A to do massive damage with no risk.

It's a lot of fun anyway. It's still got good pacing, interesting environments and loads of puzzles and secrets. I've enjoyed all.my time with it so far.

Twed

Does Luigi prance at all, in this?

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on November 01, 2019, 05:42:25 PM
Does Luigi prance at all, in this?

His run animation is great. Like his body has no idea what his legs are doing. He's constantly on the verge of going arse over tit.

Twed

Replies From View

Isn't Luigi just a green plumber?  What does he have a mansion for.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Replies From View on November 01, 2019, 06:54:31 PM

It's very complicated.

Twed

Why is this a collect-o-thon. Why does this play like a Lego game. Why aren't there many ghosts in it. Why does every room look the same. Why are a third of the rooms bathrooms. Why is it so boring that you feel massive relief when a puzzle comes to break the monotony, even though that puzzle will just be "Gooigi goes through a grate".

popcorn

Quote from: Replies From View on November 01, 2019, 06:54:31 PM

Well it gets madder, apparently in this one it is not a mansion he has got but an hotel.

Twed

Can anybody tell me if this gets less boring after the shopping floor (level 3?) early on?

Even the boss battles are samey. Fuck, in the first game every fucking room was themed. The ghosts even looked better, technically better, like real lights shone on a glass pane in front of the game, instead of just regular shaded models.

Piss on this. It's the thing that's going to make me turn into an old man raging about the old days when people did things properly.

Twed

WHY IS EVERY GHOST IN THE GAME THIS GHOST

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on November 01, 2019, 05:38:11 PM
No, it's fundamentally different. In the original there was a sustained push and pull, like in a fishing game - Luigi would get pulled around rooms and you had to tug the opposite direction to inflict higher damage. In this one you basically just hammer A after the initial few seconds, and doing so kills them pretty much straight away.
It's the same but you just have the option to slam now.

madhair60

Played this with a mate today. Brilliant fun, loved it.

Played about an hour. Pretty bored already to be honest but I knew it'd be a gamble for me.

Twed

I don't hate it but for a while it was so Lego I felt sad.

Twed

Kelvin

What did you mean by Lego game? I literally have no idea how the two things are similar, but then I am pissed. Lego games are awful.

Twed

https://youtu.be/dQ9SombBqS8?t=1235

Like this, you ponce about using abilities on scenery to release collectibles and then trigger set-pieces.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on November 02, 2019, 11:08:26 PM
https://youtu.be/dQ9SombBqS8?t=1235

Like this, you ponce about using abilities on scenery to release collectibles and then trigger set-pieces.

I think that's only true of the simplest puzzles. I'm 7 floors into it now, and on almost every floor there are at least a couple of puzzles I can't solve, or gems I can't find and will have to come back for. Yes, the easier ones are a bit like the clip above - press blow on your vacuum by object x and see how it reacts - but in many cases, the ancillary puzzles involve multiple abilities, a bit of exploration and some experimentation. Thats how Nintendo generally make games: the base game is fairly easy, but the additional, non-essential content is harder. Plus, on a room by room basis, I like how interactive everything is. Not everything has to be a puzzle, its nice that the game just rewards trying things and interacting with objects.