Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:08:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Luigi's Mansion 3

Started by The Boston Crab, October 30, 2019, 09:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on November 02, 2019, 07:03:34 PM
It's the same but you just have the option to slam now.

It's not the same at all. The slam charges in less than 5 seconds, and then kills most ghosts with the 4 slams, so there's almost no need for the fishing mechanic after a few seconds.

I'm over it, though. It's a different game with a different approach to catching the ghosts and more focus on exploration and puzzles. I'm fine with that. Fighting the ordinary ghosts isn't particularly interesting, but it's not a chore by any means, and you don't do it so often that it's been an issue.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on November 03, 2019, 12:22:00 PM
It's not the same at all. The slam charges in less than 5 seconds, and then kills most ghosts with the 4 slams, so there's almost no need for the fishing mechanic after a few seconds.
All you're missing is the efficacy of the number going down quickly, then. The slam is good, you get to be tactical by using it to hurt nearby ghosts with the ghost that you're slamming.

I think the beginning of the game was interminably dull, gameplay-wise. It's a stretch to call it rewarding, there was a solid hour of checking furniture for money.

Replies From View

Quote from: popcorn on November 02, 2019, 04:22:08 PM
Well it gets madder, apparently in this one it is not a mansion he has got but an hotel.

What's the tribute to the burglar alarm / fire alarm scene like?

I hope it is fond.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2019, 01:58:28 PM
All you're missing is the efficacy of the number going down quickly, then. The slam is good, you get to be tactical by using it to hurt nearby ghosts with the ghost that you're slamming.

This debate is getting very repetitive, but no, it's the physical act of "reeling in" a ghost that is missing, because you no longer need to do that for more than a couple of seconds.

As a direct comparison, watch this ghost from the original, which takes about 15 seconds to reel in:

https://youtu.be/BjpwXG6ktb0?t=64

That requires constant adjustment as you pull back, the risk of crashing into objects/other ghost etc.

Now, here's a ghost from LM3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2gRZ1DWOtY&feature=youtu.be&t=63

It literally takes 3 seconds of "reeling in" before the slam ability becomes available, and you then repeat that cycle a handful of times. Regardless of whether you like that or not - and I've already said that I don't mind it too much - that is absolutely not the same method of catching ghosts used in the original game. It's a completely different approach, with the challenge now coming from dodging their attacks and opening them up, rather than the actual act of sucking them up.

QuoteI think the beginning of the game was interminably dull, gameplay-wise. It's a stretch to call it rewarding, there was a solid hour of checking furniture for money.

We are reverso people, you and I. I thought the game started really well, with lots of cool set pieces and new abilities opening up, so that later (yes, an hour or so in), they could give you more rewards for exploring and experimenting with them. I agree there's less puzzles at the start, and they were all fairly easy, but it's a Nintendo game that likes to get you confident with the mechanics first, before they throw lots of options at you. That's just how they make their games. My big issue was E. Gadd asking me to come back every few 15 minutes early on, but again, that was only the opening hour or so.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on November 03, 2019, 03:05:55 PM
, it's the physical act of "reeling in" a ghost that is missing
Quote from: Kelvin on November 03, 2019, 03:05:55 PM

It literally takes 3 seconds of "reeling in"
JFC Kelvin

Kelvin

Right, so this discussion is about your point-missing pedantry, rather than the actual argument being made.

In fact, not even pedantry, just outright misquoting:

QuoteThis debate is getting very repetitive, but no, it's the physical act of "reeling in" a ghost that is missing, because you no longer need to do that for more than a couple of seconds.

Consignia

I did try your tip, Kelvin, but I'm still finding the controls as annoying as fuck. I am cack-handed, so some of the blame lies with me, but I do think Nintendo really dropped the ball here. I've never had any trouble with other Nintendo games. The battle against the musican ghost was hell for me because of all the aiming involved.

Of course, it's the only negative thing I've got to say about this game. Otherwise it's brilliant like playing a cartoon at times. One of my favourite bits so far has been barging into a toilet and finding a ghost reading a newspaper only to steal his newspaper and vacuum him up whilst he panicked.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on November 03, 2019, 04:54:32 PM
I did try your tip, Kelvin, but I'm still finding the controls as annoying as fuck. I am cack-handed, so some of the blame lies with me, but I do think Nintendo really dropped the ball here. I've never had any trouble with other Nintendo games. The battle against the musican ghost was hell for me because of all the aiming involved.

No, I actually agree. I'm not having as much of an issue as you seem to be having, but I definitely find it hard to judge where I'm aiming at times, more because of the deep perspective and the fact I can't always tell if something above or below is aligned with me. It's not been a game breaking issue, but it does take me out from time to time. 

QuoteOf course, it's the only negative thing I've got to say about this game. Otherwise it's brilliant like playing a cartoon at times. One of my favourite bits so far has been barging into a toilet and finding a ghost reading a newspaper only to steal his newspaper and vacuum him up whilst he panicked.

Yeah, that's exactly what I love about it. The little moments like that around every corner. Found a tuba in a toilet, tried blowing air into it, made a little noise, nice touch, I thought. Walked back in a few moments later to see if I could interact with it more, blew it a few seconds longer, water blasts out of the other toilets and there's a big forhorn noise as a gem fires out. Almost every room has something like that in it. All different. 

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on November 03, 2019, 04:19:55 PM
Right, so this discussion is about your point-missing pedantry, rather than the actual argument being made.

In fact, not even pedantry, just outright misquoting:
I have no interest what you're talking about but please stop using the politics thread tone of voice in the Luigi's Mansion thread, thank you.

Getting into this now I'm back off work my hols and playin on the big telly. It does look a cut above most Switch stuff, pure flair, on par with ARMS and MK8D but obviously more in its own style. Feels well better to control with Pro pad too than JCs which are pretty average even with Satisfye grip. Really like the vaguely sinister jazzy music, as well. Right up my street.

Kelvin

In terms of level design and theming, this game keeps getting better and better. It's odd, though, that they start you in the most boring areas (a bunch of fairly samey hotel rooms), before moving onto the much more interesting stuff about a third of the way through. I suppose they had to establish the hotel theme and the more lived in visual style of the earlier games, before moving on to stuff like castles... but it's really great seeing the outlandish stuff they do later on. Like a single room from the original game, but expanded over an entire floor. And aways just small and compact enough to not outlive their welcome, too.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on November 02, 2019, 11:03:18 PMLego games are awful.

I agree with those guys, fuck this subforum

Definitely much better once you get Gooigi and it starts to open up more and shake off the hotel theme. There's something satisfying about the basic actions which is pure Nintendo. I crave it somewhat in my muscle memory. Half an hour/twenty minute sessions will be great to finish this over the next couple of months.

madhair60

Blissfully good game. Next Level are superb. Luigi's Mansion 2 was ace as well.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on November 06, 2019, 10:26:14 AM
Blissfully good game. Next Level are superb. Luigi's Mansion 2 was ace as well.

Yep, it's consistently been a pleasure. Might have the best, most charachterful animation of any Nintendo game, too. As others have said, it feels like playing a cartoon at points.

I agree they could do with a few more standard ghost variations, but they do make good use of costumes and attacks to suit the room/theme. Has a bit of a gremlins vibe when a bunch of ballerinas turn up in a concert hall, etc.

Next Level did Punch Out Wii too and that was bloody good. I didn't realise they could pull off something as varied and ambitious as this game, though. It's just a constant string of great ideas, one after the other. Only bit I haven't loved was a short section involving a cat, and even that was fine, if a little faffy. The combination of ideas on floor 8, and the brilliant way it culminated, has been the highlight for me so far.

madhair60

Mario Strikers Charged was theirs too, incredible game.

falafel

I don't understand what these games are. What do you do in them?

Kelvin

Quote from: falafel on November 06, 2019, 05:25:17 PM

It's basically ghostbusters, but with lots of puzzles. You go floor to floor up a haunted hotel, exploring the rooms and either solving puzzles in them, and/or fighting some ghosts. Every floor has a different theme and a distinct boss ghost who keeps popping up. Your vacuum can push, pull, suck up or interact with pretty much every object in a room, and there are loads of secret areas for people willing to explore and experiment a bit.

It's not an action game, to be clear. It's more slow paced and atmospheric overall, but peppered with ghost catching and harder boss fights. Plus, it's got personality and ideas by the bucket load. It's one of those rare games that has almost no filler, just moment after moment that puts a big silly grin on your face - certainly after the first few floors. I loved the original, but never imagined this one would be so good.

It's got a kind of satisfying ASMR-Y clean up type of vibe. Like shaving an errant twat.

falafel

Thank you. Both of you. Sounds like a perfect travel game.

The concept stinks of side-project though.

madhair60

Quote from: falafel on November 06, 2019, 05:25:17 PM

You go into a room. There's a table set up for a lavish banquet. You suck up the tablecloth with your vacuum and, of course, everything stays standing. Then you grin because you knew it would, but somehow were still charmed by it.

Jim Bob

I'm amused by the fact that the general consensus within this thread has slowly gone from 'this is shit' to 'this is great'.

Quote from: madhair60 on November 06, 2019, 09:53:42 PM
You go into a room. There's a table set up for a lavish banquet. You suck up the tablecloth with your vacuum and, of course, everything stays standing. Then you grin because you knew it would, but somehow were still charmed by it.

"The flowers are still standing!"

Consignia

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 07, 2019, 12:40:10 AM
I'm amused by the fact that the general consensus within this thread has slowly gone from 'this is shit' to 'this is great'.

It has a slow start, so it's understandable. Also, I think I've been pretty consistent on great game, but I don't get on with the controls.

Yeah, the start is shite. I bought it for my son and he gave up out of boredom before he even found E. Gadd. I only started to get on with it once I hit the restaurant and only started properly enjoying it once I found the castle.

Kelvin

I'm afraid to say there's one section I've come across that is utter liquid shit. Basement 2, there's something you have to move around down there that is absolutely horrendous to control. Completely unintuitive.

At first it's okay, but as the level progresses, you need more mobility and speed, which the confusing controls work against, and then the boss comes around and you wish you were dead.

I've done it now, and am on the next floor, but I really did hate a couple of those sections, and the boss in particular.

Twed

I just (literally three minutes ago) got to B2, made my way to a room that looks like I'll have to move around it in a circle and do something fiddly, and thought "can't be fucked with whatever this is going to be, I'll pick this up again later". So I bet it's what you're talking about.

Replies From View

In this one does his hat go white when he picks up a fire-flower?

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on November 09, 2019, 02:54:10 AM
I just (literally three minutes ago) got to B2, made my way to a room that looks like I'll have to move around it in a circle and do something fiddly, and thought "can't be fucked with whatever this is going to be, I'll pick this up again later". So I bet it's what you're talking about.

Nope. I hit that room too, and did the exact same thing, but when I came back to it, it's actually very straightforward. It's something you sit in a few rooms later. Starts okay, but becomes a complete chore as the level.progresses.

Consignia

Yeah, I've just got B2. Controls are a complete ballache. I keep getting killed by the shark ghosts.

Twed

I found Rubber Dinghy Rapids pretty easy, TBH. Just remember that sucking moves you forward and blowing moves you backwards. You of all people should know that, Kelvin.