Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Luigi's Mansion 3

Started by The Boston Crab, October 30, 2019, 09:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I am really enjoying this in twenty minute stints. The animations and little unique moments are basically what keeps you going, and the curiosity for what's in the next room. It's kind of the opposite of Fire Emblem, for example, which sucked me in for hours at a stretch. This feels much more limited than that in terms of the mechanics. You basically cycle through weapon varieties and stuff until you rinsed the room and you enjoy the little treats it provides. That's a bit boring for more than half an hour or so, for me, but this is much better than I expected and it's something I'd definitely recommend to new Switch owners.

Twed

Yeah, I'm not doing more than a floor at a time (and usually less) but it's good fun in short bursts.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on November 09, 2019, 06:00:53 PM
I found Rubber Dinghy Rapids pretty easy, TBH. Just remember that sucking moves you forward and blowing moves you backwards. You of all people should know that, Kelvin.

Did you find the boss easy (and not a complete pain in the arse)? I found him a complete cunt.

Twed

Not a doddle, but once I realised he would hurt himself if I just kept preserving my status (and keep a Gooigi on the sidelines ready to fuck him up) then it was plain sailing.

Kelvin

Also, I agree about it being a game suited to shorter bursts. I basically do a floor a day. I think it would feel a bit repetive, mechanically, for more than an hour at a time. The levels feel the perfect size to pique your interest, get you exploring the central gimmick for that floor, then moving on to a different theme/gimmick just as you might be losing interest in that one. It's a very well paced game. No fat.

Twed

There are too many bosses where the signalling about what you're supposed to do to make them vulnerable isn't clear enough. I don't know what to do with this sand curtain bitch.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on November 09, 2019, 09:40:37 PM
There are too many bosses where the signalling about what you're supposed to do to make them vulnerable isn't clear enough. I don't know what to do with this sand curtain bitch.

I sort of agree, although I also think it's quite nice that you have to try a bunch of things to work out the openings. I've got E.Gadd's hints switched off in options, though, so I don't know if he's usually saying "Shoot his arse with a plunger, you green goober" every five seconds.   

Twed

He has only ever made the game harder by saying dumbfuck shit that covers up part of the screen you're trying to see.

Twed

In the case of this boss, I was doing the right thing but the game didn't give me enough feedback to verify that so I thought I was aimlessly fucking around.

Twed

https://imgur.com/Ikk9yJt

Is it me or is this hilarious? (minor spoiler)

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on November 10, 2019, 08:07:02 PM
https://imgur.com/Ikk9yJt

Is it me or is this hilarious? (minor spoiler)

The other toad gleefully waving is the best bit. I like how utterly pathetic they are as characters.

Twed

They are wonderfully sacrificial and yet living their best lives.

Something I realised: it's just not worth trying to 100% any floors until the story is completed, because there's always some equipment upgrade coming that you don't anticipate.

That said, I was able to get all the gems on one (late!) floor without even trying to. The magic trick floor.

Thursday

Bought this at CEX at like a complete idiot, didn't keep the receipt. Now it keeps crashing when I'm doing the knight boss. I suppose you show your card when you pay for things, but it feels like i'd still need the receipt right?

Hmm would it be suspicious to trade in my copy for another copy of the game?

madhair60

Quote from: Thursday on November 18, 2019, 10:01:17 PM
Bought this at CEX at like a complete idiot, didn't keep the receipt. Now it keeps crashing when I'm doing the knight boss. I suppose you show your card when you pay for things, but it feels like i'd still need the receipt right?

Hmm would it be suspicious to trade in my copy for another copy of the game?

It'll be on your card

Thursday

Seems to have got past that bit now. Not sure whether it was the blowing on the cartridge a lot, wiping it with my sleeve and playing in handheld mode instead, but I'm on the next floor. Let's see how long this lasts.

Thursday

Game kept popping up with the same tutorial advice during a boss, including during a boss attack that made me miss an opportunity, so it's going in the bin.

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on November 22, 2019, 05:50:22 PM
Game kept popping up with the same tutorial advice during a boss, including during a boss attack that made me miss an opportunity, so it's going in the bin.

Turn the hints off in options. You don't need them.

Thursday

Yeah I realised that afterwards... to be honest though there were one or two times the hints helped me earlier, so I shouldn't have to , it just shouldn't keep bringing up the same hint over and over before I've even had a chance to try and act on it.

Consignia

Just finished this. The final boss was such a chore, with long periods of avoiding, with a only small chances to attack. I think I finally hit the nail on the head my problem with the controls, it was the motion aiming. Because of my poor fine motor control, I couldn't aim properly with the gyros, and you can't turn them off, either. So my shaky hands made aiming with things nigh in impossible. It's pretty unlike Nintendo to make games so unaccessible.

It's a shame the poor final boss and crap controls have soured my experience of what was an otherwise excellent game. I can't remember a game that has left me chuckling so much throughout.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on November 23, 2019, 08:06:28 PM
Just finished this. The final boss was such a chore, with long periods of avoiding, with a only small chances to attack. I think I finally hit the nail on the head my problem with the controls, it was the motion aiming. Because of my poor fine motor control, I couldn't aim properly with the gyros, and you can't turn them off, either. So my shaky hands made aiming with things nigh in impossible. It's pretty unlike Nintendo to make games so unaccessible.

It's a shame the poor final boss and crap controls have soured my experience of what was an otherwise excellent game. I can't remember a game that has left me chuckling so much throughout.

Yeah, I finished it a couple of days ago and, although I didn't hate the final boss, it was definitely underwhelming and repetitive after a game packed with so many ideas. The last floor was great, though.

And you can't turn motion off? I'm sure I turned it off, I don't remember ever noticing it. Not once. My issue was less with the controls, more finding the perspective / angles a problem when trying to interact with things in a rush.

Anyway, the game is great. Maybe a few too many floors, I'd cut 2-3, probably - but there was just so many ideas in every room. Fun little secrets, clever puzzles, daft animations, fun things to interact with. I honestly think it's even better than the original, which I never dreamt would be possible at this point. Hope Next Level do another Punch Out game next. 

Jim Bob

Quote from: Consignia on November 23, 2019, 08:06:28 PM
Just finished this. The final boss was such a chore, with long periods of avoiding, with a only small chances to attack. I think I finally hit the nail on the head my problem with the controls, it was the motion aiming. Because of my poor fine motor control, I couldn't aim properly with the gyros, and you can't turn them off, either.

Don't blame it on the sunshine,
Don't blame it on the moonlight,
Don't blame it on good times,
Blame it on the poor controls.

Kelvin

There's a ghost in it called Boo-gie, so you missed a trick there.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Kelvin on November 24, 2019, 02:17:30 AM
There's a ghost in it called Boo-gie, so you missed a trick there.

Dagnabit!

I love this game and have almost finished it but this "ooh you've got a lift button congratulations! Oops! Looks like you dropped it/a ghost stole it, time to retrace your steps and explore rooms you've already painstakingly examined the first time you visited them" is quite tedious.

Thursday

Yeah why does Luigi keep holding it up and starring at it instead of just discretely pocketing it. Stupid prick.

Mister Six

Mrs Six and I are playing this, and we're in love with it. Just so packed with little touches and details, and so beautifully animated. Just got done with the director ghost (we've fucked off the trophy and let him make his movie in peace - I did a quick google and apparently Luigi is really sad if you make him hoover up the director) last night, and fucked it off when the cat nicked the button. That'll be tonight's task.

Amazed how good it looks too - I remember Mario Odyssey struggling to do transparency properly and ending up doing weird interpolated pixels instead. Amazed that the flagship title looks so much worse than this, but I suppose development on that starts years earlier.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on May 24, 2021, 07:01:53 PM
Mrs Six and I are playing this, and we're in love with it. Just so packed with little touches and details, and so beautifully animated. Just got done with the director ghost (we've fucked off the trophy and let him make his movie in peace - I did a quick google and apparently Luigi is really sad if you make him hoover up the director)

If you spared him, go back later on.

Mister Six

Beagle 2

I picked it up on the weekend too and I'm very much at the page one of this thread stage of finding it incredibly boring. I guess I'll persevere based on later comments. Shit popping out of boxes not really doing it for me at the moment.