Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:16:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Console exclusives

Started by Famous Mortimer, October 31, 2019, 01:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I got robbed t'other day. The only thing of any value they took was my XBox One, which I'd barely touched in months anyway (I was playing The Outer Worlds on it, which was fun, though).

Anyway,  I was thinking of getting a new console. I'd like a Switch, but the XBox was the main blu-ray player in the house, so I'm going to need to replace that. I got the XBox pretty much so I could play Crackdown 3, and that was not all I hoped it would be, so I was wondering...are there any console exclusives that made you make a decision, one way or the other? I've no strong brand loyalty, but I like an RPG, like a Metroidvania sort of game, like a bit of racing too.

madhair60

Switch is the best choice at the moment, to the point that I sort of wish I'd never bought a PS4. I don't think I've played anything on it that I can really say was worth buying the system for.

That said the Switch exclusives tend to play a little young, and the community of Switch fans are utter cunts - check elsewhere in this sub if you don't believe me.

Anyway, I'd say go for an Xbox One. Cheers

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm not into brand loyalty either - because I am a grown up (albeit one that still plays games).

I think it was the then upcoming No Man's Sky and The Last Guardian that convinced me to go for a PS4 this time around. Years later, I have yet to even play either of them.

Of the exclusive titles I do have, Bloodborne, Spider-Man and Horizon: Zero Dawn are all thoroughly good. I might get God of War at some point, although I've never played any of the others in the series. With the possible exception of Forza 4, I can't think of anything on the Xbone that makes me regret my choice. Backward compatibility is actually a bigger selling point, as my 360 is getting rather knackered and sounds like a vacuum cleaner while it's switched on.

I might like a Switch for playing on the train or, more likely, the toilet. I can imagine taking it out of the living room causing some annoyance to my housemates, though. Also, while Nintendo make possibly the best exclusive games of all, they've often been less good for third party support, in my experience (although that is harking back to the N64).

Switch has the best exclusive library by miles and miles these days, like it's almost a joke.

It's also got extensive third party support now, arguably the best ever on a Nintendo console. It's not only got the cream of the 360 era ports and HD remasters, like Dark Souls and Resident Evil 4 and Skyrim or whatever, it's also now getting ports of actual top tier current gen shit like Witcher 3, Overwatch and Divinity Original Sin 2. There is aren't many indie games which aren't better on the Switch for handheld reasons. It also has all the best NES and SNES games on it, for what that's worth. If you buy physical games, you can usually trade them in for 90% of their RRP because they hold value so we'll. If you buy wisely, you can avoid spending too much even though the games are pretty expensive. I wish I'd done that now.

I own an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro and they barely get a look in. That said, they are good gaming consoles and the Switch isn't a BD player.

PS4 has Bloodborne which just about justified the console for me but it's a demanding action RPG, not for everyone. It also has a wealth of amazing looking single player cinematic action games with massive budgets. The Last of Us Remastered, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman and God of War are all good to great, even if a bit overrated. You can sink your teeth into them, for sure. GT Sport is also a fantastic driving game, albeit quite simmy and po-faced.

My impression is that you're not a massive massive gamer though, so I'd suggest another XB with Game Pass, unless you already exhausted it. For the price of one or two games a year, you're getting a hundred and a growing library every month. Forza Horizon 4 is the best arcade racer this gen, a beautiful sprawling chill out game with reams of content. There's not much else worth playing that's exclusive, though, and the other best previously exclusive game, Cuphead, was ported to the Switch. Xbox One X is the most powerful console available and if you have a 4K telly, it's by far the most impressive if you're into that kind of thing.

NJ Uncut

If you don't want to fanny about, get a PS4.

madhair60

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 31, 2019, 05:59:14 PM
If you don't want to fanny about, get a PS4.

What? PS4 is pure fannying pal. Update this, update that, constant waiting. Fuckin bin.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: madhair60 on October 31, 2019, 07:08:25 PM
What? PS4 is pure fannying pal. Update this, update that, constant waiting. Fuckin bin.

Yer wha

My experience is:

Stream off Servio
Netflix this, Netflix that
Game a bit
Swap out to other game
Get bored, swap to first game again
Get free stuff off PS Plus
Update once every, like two months

Whacked a DVD in too. Was good

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It seemed odd that the media player app didn't come installed as standard, but it was hardly a chore to fix that.

madhair60

peanutbutter

Death Stranding, the FF7 Remake and a bit more trust in Sony to make an exclusive I could give a shit about would sway me in that direction now.

Although if you haven't played BotW then that alone would sway me to a Switch (plus it's by far the one I'd be most likely to use more than a few times).

Blu Ray player: just got an old PS3?

Ham Bap

PS4 has the better exclusives I'd say. I've loved my PS4. Great machine, still going strong after 6 years.

There will probably be some good deals out on consoles by Black Friday with the PS5 out next year too.

Probably worth a side-by-side look at the various exclusives to see what most appeals:

https://gematsu.com/exclusives

For PS4, I forgot about Tetris Effect, Yakuza games, Persona 5, Until Dawn and Days Gone. The Wipeout Collection also counts. PSVR has about three worthwhile games in Astro Bot, Tetris Effect and maybe Blood and Truth. The PS4 has a great library and as Ham Bap said, Death Stranding, FF7 Remake, The Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima are all to come, with the latter possibly a PS5 cross-gen release now.

The only issue now, towards the end of the gen, is that the base PS4 seems a little underpowered now. I played RDR2 on my mate's launch PS4 at 1080p and it looked last gen compared to the XB1X version on a 4K telly.

Another factor is that backwards compatibility is hopefully going to be a thing for PS5 so any stuff you buy in the next year will likely be playable if you traded in for a PS5. I'd be tempted to get a second hand PS4 Pro on that basis.

madhair60

Wipeout on PSVR is insanely good too

I wish I weren't so sensitive to VR. Five seconds and I felt dizzy and nauseous. I can imagine it's amazing if you can take it/have no nervous system. Felt great looking round in the cockpit.

madhair60

Twed

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 01, 2019, 09:10:23 AM
I wish I weren't so sensitive to VR. Five seconds and I felt dizzy and nauseous. I can imagine it's amazing if you can take it/have no nervous system. Felt great looking round in the cockpit.
I'm reading "VR makes me nauseous" but I'm hearing "I can only cum to pictures of my great-aunt".

Lee Van Cleef

Obviously it depends on your budget, but I don't think the base consoles are worth it now if you have a 4k TV. The old Xbox One is sluggish as hell.

As for console exclusives I've got a PS4, X1X and Switch, by far I play the most games on my Xbox, mainly because of game pass. I started God of War on PS4 but forgot about it, NMS came to Xbox eventually anyway... There's just not enough to draw me to use my PS4.