Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:14:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Are men funnier than women?

Started by Kryton, October 31, 2019, 04:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the best football team

HFX Wanderers
2 (14.3%)
Hearts
2 (14.3%)
Aston Villa
5 (35.7%)
Raoul Moat
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

thenoise

Quote from: icehaven on November 03, 2019, 06:46:51 PM
I'm just amazed no one's started an unfunny spin off thread asking if trans people are funnier than men and women yet.

Is this why Linehan is so scared of them?

Johnny Yesno

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

My theory, based on science I have pulled completely from my arse:

About the same percentage of men and women are truly funny (let's say 10%). These are the people who you would like to watch attempt standup, write a book, write a TV script, or just sit in the pub with them for an hour and enjoy a conversation with them.

In addition, I'd say about another 10-15% of men are what I'd call 'quasi-funny'. They can banter with their friends, tell adequate variants on old joke formats, or throw out punchlines you can plug in when the right feeder line comes up ("and then I got off the bus ah"). Maybe they can do accents or impressions that punch up their stories a bit. You don't get as many women of this type, because the point of this type of humour is mostly about drawing attention, looking confident, appearing intelligent etc. in a way that's specifically valued in men. I don't mean quasi-funny in the sense that you wouldn't ever laugh at these people's jokes - sometimes it's amusing, sometimes it's obnoxious. But what I mean is you probably wouldn't be that interested in reading a full-length script this person wrote, or find their open mic more than just mediocre. It's more a specific honed social skill than a sign that they have loads of funny ideas.

I also think the format of humour demanded for the study suits quasi-funny men quite well. If you're quasi-funny and have a rotation of 10-20 well-worn joke variations in your back pocket, given a random picture in a caption competition you can probably apply at least one of them for an adequately funny caption  ("That's the last time I take sex advice from Donald Trump!" or some shit like that). I don't think winning a caption competition is a sign that you have the most interesting way with words, or the funniest point of view, or would write the best comic novel.

chveik

Dex Sawash

Ferris

Quote from: Thursday on November 03, 2019, 07:42:46 PM
I actually think it's pretty cool that we managed turn a thread about gender and comedy into one about football and race. Interesting twist.

The poll seemed a bit over the top for what seemed (to me, oh naive misguided fool I am) to be a genuine (if inelegant/unhelpful) question, so I've improved it. I hope no one is cross that the previous important polling research has been stymied.

Buelligan

I'd tend to agree, at least until we got towards the end of the previous page when I was very tempted to vote (postal).  Poll was closed by that time, so saved from myself.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 03, 2019, 11:14:37 PM
They just post here

Haha, good quasi-funny tier gag.

Kishi, you are missed.

Kryton

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 04, 2019, 12:21:50 AM
The poll seemed a bit over the top for what seemed (to me, oh naive misguided fool I am) to be a genuine (if inelegant/unhelpful) question, so I've improved it. I hope no one is cross that the previous important polling research has been stymied.

Appreciated. And again I genuinely didn't want to upset anyone with this thread, if anything it was to poke fun at the 'research'.

Kryton

Quote from: Buelligan on November 03, 2019, 03:21:49 PM
Fuck off.

Why are you so angry? For all your crap about about reaching zen-like states in your lonely cave it doesn't reflect well here when you're calling people cunts, having meltdowns and such.
Probably best if you just don't reply to any of my posts again please. I hope life gets better for you.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on November 03, 2019, 10:57:15 PM
My theory, based on science I have pulled completely from my arse:

About the same percentage of men and women are truly funny (let's say 10%). These are the people who you would like to watch attempt standup, write a book, write a TV script, or just sit in the pub with them for an hour and enjoy a conversation with them.

In addition, I'd say about another 10-15% of men are what I'd call 'quasi-funny'. They can banter with their friends, tell adequate variants on old joke formats, or throw out punchlines you can plug in when the right feeder line comes up ("and then I got off the bus ah"). Maybe they can do accents or impressions that punch up their stories a bit. You don't get as many women of this type, because the point of this type of humour is mostly about drawing attention, looking confident, appearing intelligent etc. in a way that's specifically valued in men. I don't mean quasi-funny in the sense that you wouldn't ever laugh at these people's jokes - sometimes it's amusing, sometimes it's obnoxious. But what I mean is you probably wouldn't be that interested in reading a full-length script this person wrote, or find their open mic more than just mediocre. It's more a specific honed social skill than a sign that they have loads of funny ideas.

I also think the format of humour demanded for the study suits quasi-funny men quite well. If you're quasi-funny and have a rotation of 10-20 well-worn joke variations in your back pocket, given a random picture in a caption competition you can probably apply at least one of them for an adequately funny caption  ("That's the last time I take sex advice from Donald Trump!" or some shit like that). I don't think winning a caption competition is a sign that you have the most interesting way with words, or the funniest point of view, or would write the best comic novel.

I couldn't agree more. That really is completely pulled from your arse. - (quasi humour)

Buelligan

Quote from: Kryton on November 04, 2019, 01:00:33 PM
Why are you so angry? For all your crap about about reaching zen-like states in your lonely cave it doesn't reflect well here when you're calling people cunts, having meltdowns and such.
Probably best if you just don't reply to any of my posts again please. I hope life gets better for you.

I'm not angry at all.  It amused me to tell you to fuck off as a response to your prissy little lemon-sucking lecture on being personal.  Especially given that virtually every interaction with me you or your previous incarnation, ever has is predicated on your palpable personal animosity towards me, as opposed to whatever it is that's being discussed.  You always find a moment for a little personal dig, as above.  I think you can admit that, even if it's only in the privacy of your own cranium.

So there we are, not angry at all, just amused.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Buelligan on November 04, 2019, 01:54:35 PM

And angry. Very, very angry. What's wrong with being angry? Why can't people admit they're angry? Angry at the shitty life they've led. Angry at the abuse they've received. Who wouldn't be angry at that shit? I'm angry and I've probably been quite privileged. Still angry though. Fuck knows why. But I am angry and I'm the first to admit it.

Buelligan

Nothing wrong with saying you're angry if you're angry.  Something very wrong with saying you're angry, when you're not, because other people want you to, just to make them less upset.

madhair60

i never thought you were angry buelligan

Buelligan

checkoutgirl

You never get angry? That's just weird.

Buelligan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 04, 2019, 02:26:19 PM
You never get angry? That's just weird.

Even the Dalai Lama and Jesus have been angry.  That's not what I said, I said I wasn't angry with Kryton when I told him to fuck off.  I told him to fuck off because it made me laugh, it was an amusing response to someone bossily ticking you off for being personal and using naughty words. 

I like to prick hot air balloons and watch them fart across the sky.  I'm not a man, so I don't know how funny that is but it amuses the child in me.

Kryton

Quote from: Buelligan on November 04, 2019, 01:54:35 PM
I'm not angry at all.  It amused me to tell you to fuck off as a response to your prissy little lemon-sucking lecture on being personal.  Especially given that virtually every interaction with me you or your previous incarnation, ever has is predicated on your palpable personal animosity towards me, as opposed to whatever it is that's being discussed.  You always find a moment for a little personal dig, as above.  I think you can admit that, even if it's only in the privacy of your own cranium.

I have no idea why you think I single you out. Because I don't. I've defended myself when you (and a couple of others) have thrown some pretty horrible and baseless insults at me (calling me a racist for one thing), so obviously when someone attacks you, you react right? If there's any animosity I think it's from your end, not mine. I think somewhere along the line we've just misunderstood each other and the disagreements have made things look worse than they really are.

I'm quite happy to just ignore you with or without the ignore script. That might be a tad over-dramatic. Life's too short. I genuinely have no issue with you.

Kryton

Quote from: Buelligan on November 04, 2019, 02:34:02 PM
Even the Dalai Lama and Jesus have been angry.  That's not what I said, I said I wasn't angry with Kryton when I told him to fuck off.  I told him to fuck off because it made me laugh, it was an amusing response to someone bossily ticking you off for being personal and using naughty words. 

No I get that now and in hindsight it was quite funny. Sorry I took it too literally. I guess it's hard to tell if someone is joking or not sometimes.

Buelligan

Fuck off.

Just joking.  Or am I?

The other post doesn't even deserve a response.  I think that's fair.

Fake anger is the default humour on the Internet these days so if someone seems really angry, give them the benefit of the doubt because they're probably trying to be funny. I doubt anyone on here is ever actually as angry as they make out. It's just a funny way to make people laugh.

madhair60

im never angry i love everyone the bes;t

It's hard to tell because you don't know are they pretending to be angry because they're trying to be funny or are they really angry because they are carrying lifelong trauma and they have no hope for the future. Either way, someone will be laughing at it but it's not necessarily funny.

Ferris

Fucking furious about all of this.

bgmnts

Are men better at eating Jaffa Cakes than women?

This has opened a Pandora's box in my head.