Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Are men funnier than women?

Started by Kryton, October 31, 2019, 04:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the best football team

HFX Wanderers
2 (14.3%)
Hearts
2 (14.3%)
Aston Villa
5 (35.7%)
Raoul Moat
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Paul Calf

Quote from: Kryton on November 01, 2019, 09:04:34 AM
What's with the shitty poll? Can we not talk about comedy on a comedy forum. It's not like I've said men are funnier than women. I've linked an article and poll and wanted genuine discussion and spoken about my favourite female comedians and performers, so why am I being attacked?

Sorry, dude. I forgot about this thread. The poll was my work. I'm sorry if you took it badly: I didn't mean any harm, but it was probably thoughtless of me on reflection.

I'm not reading this thread but I will say that society doesn't let women be both self-deprecating and likeable at the same time and that's where a lot of the problem stems from.

Kryton

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 04, 2019, 03:23:53 PM
Sorry, dude. I forgot about this thread. The poll was my work. I'm sorry if you took it badly: I didn't mean any harm, but it was probably thoughtless of me on reflection.

Appreciate your honesty.  No worries.

Icehaven

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 04, 2019, 03:30:42 PM
I'm not reading this thread but I will say that society doesn't let women be both self-deprecating and likeable at the same time and that's where a lot of the problem stems from.

I disagree, I'm totally self-deprecating but also extremely likeable.

thenoise

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 04, 2019, 03:05:23 PM
It's hard to tell because you don't know are they pretending to be angry because they're trying to be funny or are they really angry because they are carrying lifelong trauma and they have no hope for the future. Either way, someone will be laughing at it but it's not necessarily funny.

If they are joking it's either
(i) funny or
(ii) they have failed

People laughing at trauma sometimes.

Cardenio I

I think whoever thought the way to judge this was with a caption competition is less funny than every other inhabitant of planet earth, be they animal, vegetable or canned fart sound.

Buelligan

You should meet up with Blods over a couple of Asahi and some fried dumplings, chat it over.

Paul Calf

Quote from: icehaven on November 04, 2019, 04:55:32 PM
I disagree, I'm totally self-deprecating but also extremely likeable.

*Solid applause*

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Buelligan on November 04, 2019, 02:34:02 PM
Even the Dalai Lama and Jesus have been angry.  That's not what I said, I said I wasn't angry with Kryton when I told him to fuck off.  I told him to fuck off because it made me laugh, it was an amusing response to someone bossily ticking you off for being personal and using naughty words. 

I like to prick hot air balloons and watch them fart across the sky.  I'm not a man, so I don't know how funny that is but it amuses the child in me.

Just fuck off.

thenoise

Quote from: Straw Man on November 04, 2019, 07:01:16 PM
Yin                               Yang
Feminine                   Masculine
Not funny at all     Very funny indeed

QED by 'appeal to Eastern mysticism'

NJ Uncut

Male cunt manager at Big work was downright hilarious this morning.

He was walking up to the security turnstiles, which are exactly as they sound - turnstiles fit for a single person at once, you beep your pass and it permits one turnround.

Was raining like fuck so daft tosser puts up an absolutely huge umbrella on approach, some span on that bright blue bastard, a mere ten feet away from the turnstiles.

I ask "How are you going to get that through the turnstile?"

"Fuckin puttin it down now!" he says angrily, as if it was his plan all along to open his umbrella for all of ten seconds, so I skip through merrily as is my wont, and watch as he struggles for a good two minutes with being unable to get the brolly down. Then he walks into the turnstile, CLANK, (not too hard, but he clearly expected it to move) as it times out from the scan after a minute or so. "Fucking hell!"

There's some security "feature" where you can't enter twice, so he can't get in. He throws his pass over for me to beep it from my side as if he was exiting, then pass it through to enter again... it worked, but for a split second the lanyard seemed likely to catch on one of the spokes at the top of the fence, and it sure smelt like destiny. You need hope in life, folks.

Unfortunately as it only clattered to the ground on my side I was indeed able to help him, and he finally got through the gate. Then me, dry in every way except literally: "You alright there, chief?"

"Hang on a sec I just need to put my brolly up."

I'd like to see a woman deliver a farce so sublime.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: NJ Uncut on November 07, 2019, 08:06:12 AM
I'd like to see a woman deliver a farce so sublime.

The funniest thing I ever did was walk straight into a lamppost. I was walking along and a cardboard cut-out of Steven Seagal caught my eye in the Eurovision video shop (it was 20 years ago when video shops still existed). I was thinking "Is that Steven Seagal? Is that Under Siege 2?" *CLANG*. I was on my back looking into the Drogheda night sky before I knew what happened as a nearby security guard almost filled his britches with loud hilarity. Exactly like Homer Simpson when the professor drops his notes in Homer Goes To College.

Try getting a woman to do something that funny. It's not going to happen.

Look at him there.

Funniest thing I ever did was arrange a whisky tasting evening and some guy brought a two-year-old piece of shit Moroccan whisky or some crap. Fair play it was supposed to be something unusual and not everyday and kind of the point of the evening but this was liquid bifida. By contrast and to show where my dissatisfaction came from, I'd brought a Glenfarclas 30, cost about hundred and fifty quid. Eventually, we got round to this two year shitter and I gulped it down in one and remarked, with studied enthusiasm and sincerity:

"Wow! You can really taste both years!"

One of the most joyous laughs of my life, that fantastic feeling when your own subconscious just comes up with a total blinder, almost something beyond decision making or cognition. A perfectly victimless marriage of language, context, and delivery. Probably the hardest and longest I've laughed as an adult when I've not been with my wife.

It won't be the one I'll be remembered for, but it's the one I'll remember me for.