Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Are men funnier than women?

Started by Kryton, October 31, 2019, 04:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the best football team

HFX Wanderers
2 (14.3%)
Hearts
2 (14.3%)
Aston Villa
5 (35.7%)
Raoul Moat
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pele not black "in the right way".

That is funny.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pele cared more about erections, he absolutely loved erections and so should you

Of all the sports, she picks football.

He laughed.

Buelligan

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 02, 2019, 07:58:46 AM
Pele not black "in the right way".

That is funny.

Stop being silly.  Trying to argue that black people were not excluded from professional football in the past is something you can do if it makes you feel better but it's a fool's errand and an ugly and dishonest thing to do.  And putting words like that into anyone's mouth is just plain offensive.

I notice you ignored the black woman player.  Not without precedent.

Quote from: Buelligan on November 01, 2019, 12:35:33 PM
Like checking whether/why only white men are any cop at footy.

Quote from: Buelligan on November 01, 2019, 03:18:36 PM
No, take a look back to the last century and you'll see that professional football was a white man's game, not, I think, because people who weren't white men lacked ability. 

Quote from: Buelligan on November 02, 2019, 08:32:14 AM
Trying to argue that black people were not excluded from professional football in the past is something you can do if it makes you feel better but it's a fool's errand and an ugly and dishonest thing to do.

Even Pak Doo-Ik would struggle to get it between those goalposts.

I'm not the one who said Pele wasn't performing his black duty.

It's easier if you just say, "yeah, my point wasn't clear, this is what I meant". I agree with your third point.

Anyway, off to watch the rugger.

Buelligan

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 02, 2019, 08:59:58 AM
Even Pak Doo-Ik would struggle to get it between those goalposts.

I'm not the one who said Pele wasn't performing his black duty.

My point, by including that link, was to confirm (though why it should be necessary to do so, fuck only knows,) that Pele's career was shadowed by and existed in, a time where racism towards non-white sports people was a regular thing.  Quite possibly meaning too that many people with great talent never got the chance to shine as Pele did.

We were talking about the inequalities faced by different groups, whether they're brought about by innate qualities in those groups or the dominant culture.  I was arguing that measuring intrinsic differences (if they exist) can be one approach but whilst we have a culture that perpetrates and supports inequality, if we don't want that, we should change the culture (as with football and the moves towards rejecting racism and sexism).  I didn't think I'd need to explain this.  Obviously.

Anyway, off to feed the rich.

That's not what you said, hence the need to explain yourself properly. Much appreciated.

Buelligan

I think you'll find it is.

Quote from: Buelligan on November 01, 2019, 12:35:33 PM
Quote from: Zetetic on November 01, 2019, 12:18:10 PM
That's all the more reason to ask those sorts of questions, and to try to understand if it's something in how we treat people differently from birth that produces any differences (and whether that's something we should tackle).

Yep.  Like checking whether/why only white men are any cop at footy.  I don't see anything wrong in trying to measure the thing but, for goodness sake, if we're even considering the possibility that it might not be eugenics but the fact that we live in an unequal culture that's creating this idea, let's change the culture, eh?  I mean, why not, just for a laugh?

I love you Z, this is not aimed at you, I am screaming at the world.

And so on.

greenman

Quote from: flotemysost on November 01, 2019, 08:32:13 AM
Not to single you out as this is totally fair point, but I do find generalisations like this quite frustrating - I'm not into that sort of twee giggly humour and it bothers me that there's an expectation of 'this is what all women like' (although I appreciate many do).

I'd never really thought about relatability being something that people look for in humour but I guess that is something that appeals to me on some level, although I don't really find it in yer Millicans et al. But then where does 'relatability' end? You could argue that the appeal of, say, any sitcom scene involving a socially awkward/embarrassing situation (of there are obviously millions involving men) comes from the ability to recognise and put yourself in that scenario.

I think people are just into what they're into, really.

I don't think that kind of humour need be twee though, self mocking comedy of embarrassment covers a lot of the very best comedy ever made for me and in this respect you could argue women are more open to engaging in it.

At the end of the day I tend to think its really a numbers game and something like standup comedy especially you had factors both growing up and actually trying to build a career that push more men towards it. Honestly my view of standup as a whole is that only a very small percentage of it is worth watching at all so fewer women getting into that from a smaller pool isn't supprising.

I would say as further evidence to that being the case rather than some innate difference much of the best female comedy tends to come from women more towards the "comic actress" or just the conventional actress. That's an area were you could argue there isn't as much of a bias towards male participation and you see the difference in quality.

Quote from: Buelligan on November 02, 2019, 09:47:41 AM
And so on.

Good on you for giving me the clarification. That's progress.

thenoise

Willies are much funnier than fannies though, SURELY you can give us THAT??!?

Thursday

The poll is a bit much, and I don't want to have a go at Kryton who obviously meant well, but I'm genuinely staggered that someone could think this is a worthwhile discussion to still be having in 2019. Especially on this forum. Absolutely cringing at seeing the topic brought up here and people sincerely engaging with it. It's embarrassing, I'd honestly put on the same level as "Do Nazi's have a point?" in terms of things that are so absurd to even discuss at this point.

Okay it's framed a bit differently than the "Are women funny??!!!" question, and maybe it is reasonable to think about if the sociological factors around women going into comedy, but it's basically the same topic, and it's just horrible every time we have it here. The mix of tedious ironic sexism sitting together with the genuine misogyny of various posters here, mixed in with people who mean well but don't really have anything to add.

Hate being the person moaning about the discussion topic, but it's just awful awful awful every time.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Thursday on November 02, 2019, 12:00:38 PM
The poll is a bit much, and I don't want to have a go at Kryton who obviously meant well, but I'm genuinely staggered that someone could think this is a worthwhile discussion to still be having in 2019.

Ah, but now that we're in 2019, we can use advanced science to finally answer this very important question, see. SCIENCE!

Gurke and Hare

QuoteNeither of them gave evidence to the inquiry, which found that young black players had been subjected to "a daily tirade of racial abuse" in the 1980s and 1990s.

The 1980s and 1990s. A point, there.

Yep, you can also completely ignore what anyone else is talking about and just say racism bad and feel pretty damn fine. Belter of a day. Congrats.

Buelligan

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 02, 2019, 09:05:06 PM
The 1980s and 1990s. A point, there.

Honestly G&H, I wouldn't bother, he's just being a cunt, let him roll in it, I think it's what he wants.

No, I'm not. There's no need to get personal. You misspoke, got proven wrong, tried to make out you were arguing something else, got proven wrong and then lost your rag. No apology or acknowledgement, but you're the same with everyone. Here's how it went, with all your slurs removed.

- There's a misconception that only white men are any cop at footy.

- No. Lol.

- OK, I mean professional football has been a white man's game for the last century. Oh, and Pele isn't a proper black.

- No. Lol.

- There is racism in football.

- I agree, but this is not what you said. Thanks for the clarification.

- *backpedal and leave*

Then G&H joins in, ignoring the context and makes the same point that there is racism in football, twice. A point I've already agreed with.

Learn to just acknowledge your mistakes.

Kryton

Quote from: Buelligan on November 02, 2019, 10:29:23 PM
Honestly G&H, I wouldn't bother, he's just being a cunt, let him roll in it, I think it's what he wants.

Instead of being nasty/toxic, just admit it was an example that didn't quite work. No need for the personal insults.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 03, 2019, 08:13:23 AM
No, I'm not. There's no need to get personal. You misspoke, got proven wrong, tried to make out you were arguing something else, got proven wrong and then lost your rag. No apology or acknowledgement, but you're the same with everyone. Here's how it went, with all your slurs removed.

- There's a misconception that only white men are any cop at footy.

- No. Lol.

- OK, I mean professional football has been a white man's game for the last century. Oh, and Pele isn't a proper black.

- No. Lol.

- There is racism in football.

- I agree, but this is not what you said. Thanks for the clarification.

- *backpedal and leave*

Then G&H joins in, ignoring the context and makes the same point that there is racism in football, twice. A point I've already agreed with.

Learn to just acknowledge your mistakes.

The only steps we're missing is the bit where she inevitably calls for the head of someone in power (totally fine because: something, something 'punching up') and then goes off on some weird rant about how at peace with herself /at one with nature she is - neither of which appear to be true.

A lot of people on here think all they need is a Corbyn government to feel good about themselves and the world, what they actually need is therapy, lots and lots of therapy.

Buelligan

Fucking hell, CUNT BINGO, am I supposed to call out if I have a whole line?

Hey, I've no interest in getting involved in any of that, not cool. I just saw a comment I disagreed with about football and that's that. I don't want an opportunistic pile on or to be part of one in any way, and I don't want or need anyone 'backing me up' by having a go at Buelligan. Let's avoid the personal shit all round.

chveik

edit: what is point. just lock the damn thread please

thenoise

On the evidence of this thread I'd say neither.

Icehaven

I'm just amazed no one's started an unfunny spin off thread asking if trans people are funnier than men and women yet.

Thursday

I actually think it's pretty cool that we managed turn a thread about gender and comedy into one about football and race. Interesting twist.