Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:34:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Watch: election bias special.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, October 31, 2019, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cardenio I on November 28, 2019, 06:55:48 AM
This clip of Laura K laughing at a bit of Boris bants:

https://mobile.twitter.com/skiologist/status/1199936401363611648

I've had wives I've looked at with less love in my eyes.

never actually been married

I just can't... ROOT AND FUCKING BRANCH

Schmo Diddley

Trying to suppress the youth vote on their social medias. Absolutely fucking staggering.

https://twitter.com/patttten/status/1199815231180066818?s=12

Paul Calf

It'll backfire.

They're fucking idiots.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 28, 2019, 07:53:57 AM
It'll backfire.

They're fucking idiots.

Been waiting patiently for over a decade now for this prophecy to come true.

Paul Calf 2030: "it'll backfire, my gulag chief is a fucking idiot...shit he's coming"

Buelligan

Quote from: Cardenio I on November 28, 2019, 06:55:48 AM
This clip of Laura K laughing at a bit of Boris bants:

https://mobile.twitter.com/skiologist/status/1199936401363611648

I've had wives I've looked at with less love in my eyes.

never actually been married

Rebarbative.  Did you note the OP (do they call them that on twitter?)?

Cardenio I

Leo2112

Quote from: Schmo Diddley on November 28, 2019, 07:23:53 AM
Trying to suppress the youth vote on their social medias. Absolutely fucking staggering.

https://twitter.com/patttten/status/1199815231180066818?s=12

I don't remember seeing any 'register to vote' adverts by the BBC this year at all.  They used to put out numerous adverts between programmes encouraging this in previous elections.

#bbcimpartiality trending on twitter now with lots of people saying they will cancel their TV license.  Good.

lipsink

Quote from: Leo2112 on November 28, 2019, 02:20:09 PM
I don't remember seeing any 'register to vote' adverts by the BBC this year at all.  They used to put out numerous adverts between programmes encouraging this in previous elections.

#bbcimpartiality trending on twitter now with lots of people saying they will cancel their tv license.  Good.

What can they actually do if you cancel your license anyway? The TV detector van was all bollocks wasn't it?

idunnosomename

anyone want to meet up at the BBC and piss all over it

Ferris

Quote from: lipsink on November 28, 2019, 02:21:23 PM
What can they actually do if you cancel your license anyway? The TV detector van was all bollocks wasn't it?

Jack shit, there's a community of people obsessed with not paying it ("I don't watch live television") but also obsessed with not telling the licensing people ("the default assumption should be that I don't need a license, and I don't legally have to tell them if I don't need a license") so they're stuck in limbo getting threatening (but ultimately meaningless) letters once a month for years at a time.

I read through all of these during a particularly bad bout of insomnia about 6 months ago. It is strangely fascinating.

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/

Ferris

They're in the right, but exchanges like this just make them look like twats.

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Please%20do%20not%20write%20below%20the%20line.htm

Here's the obsessive research into detector vans, anyway. Seems like they're a load of shit designed to scare people into paying.

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Detector%20vans.htm

Replies From View

If the BBC want people to pay their license fee maybe they could explore the option of being less thoroughly shit.

greencalx

I think the only way a licence fee protest would work is if millions of people all cancelled at the same time.

That said, I pay mine a year in advance, so it's kind of hard to make a statement that way...

DrGreggles

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 29, 2019, 01:35:36 AM
Jack shit, there's a community of people obsessed with not paying it ("I don't watch live television") but also obsessed with not telling the licensing people ("the default assumption should be that I don't need a license, and I don't legally have to tell them if I don't need a license") so they're stuck in limbo getting threatening (but ultimately meaningless) letters once a month for years at a time.

I do actually agree with that bit.

Cuellar

phantom_power

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 29, 2019, 01:38:42 AM
They're in the right, but exchanges like this just make them look like twats.

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Please%20do%20not%20write%20below%20the%20line.htm

Here's the obsessive research into detector vans, anyway. Seems like they're a load of shit designed to scare people into paying.

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/Detector%20vans.htm

Had no qualms, but I complained anyway

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 29, 2019, 11:01:26 AM
I do actually agree with that bit.
But that's not what the default assumption is though, surely? I could say that the default assumption is that (attractive celebrity) wants desperately to see my willy, but it doesn't make it true.

NoSleep

NoSleep

Adding to that; I wrote to them 10 years ago and said I no longer required a TV licence. All they needed to do at that point was accept my statement and assume that I would advise them if my circumstances ever changed. But no, they assume I must be secretly watching tv so they send sharply worded reminders every two years warning me to declare my continuing lack of need of a TV licence.

BlodwynPig

During peak Bergerac in the late 80s I slipped the BBC a 1000 pound bung and they have never sent me any tv license letters since

phantom_power

Culturally the default would be to have a TV license. Before the internet this would be the case for 99% of households. I don't think enough time has passed for this to not be the assumption. It would be like the default assumption being that you didn't have an electricity supply or phone line. The latter is less likely than before but still expected

idunnosomename

It used to be "come on, open up, of course you've got a telly, everyone's got a telly, what're ya a weirdo" hence why they lobbied for the iPlayer to count

NoSleep

Quote from: phantom_power on November 29, 2019, 12:40:23 PM
Culturally the default would be to have a TV license. Before the internet this would be the case for 99% of households. I don't think enough time has passed for this to not be the assumption. It would be like the default assumption being that you didn't have an electricity supply or phone line. The latter is less likely than before but still expected

Why would they reassume I require a TV licence after I have specifically instructed them otherwise? Surely the default is that I am on record as not requiring a TV licence and I am not a criminal?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 29, 2019, 12:00:16 PM
But that's not what the default assumption is though, surely? I could say that the default assumption is that (attractive celebrity) wants desperately to see my willy, but it doesn't make it true.

The BBC (and the clowns they use to try to sell/collect/threaten the public) seem to be of the opinion that the burden of proof is with the 'customer' to show that they don't need to buy a licence.
This is clearly bullshit, but I wouldn't be surprised if their intimidation tactics paid off a lot of the time.

10 million people could (and should) decide to cancel their TV licence today and there's very little that the BBC could do about it.

NoSleep

I don't think boycotting them would change their current bias but it might speed them on to becoming a unambiguously right wing commercial concern.

DrGreggles

What's a licence cost these days? £150?
That would mean a sudden deficit of £1,500,000,000.

They wouldn't exist to HAVE a bias!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 29, 2019, 01:44:17 PM

YAY

THEY SAID I WAS WRONG...YOU'LL MISS IT WHEN IT'S GONE

HA, THE JOKES ON YOU

BABY PROGRAMMES FOR ADULTS...GONE
RIGHT WING LAUGHING DONKEY JOUNRALISTS...GONE
THE BEIGEST RED SOFA IN THE MORNING...GONE
SQUEEEEE...GONE (ALTHOUGH SHE WAS BRIEFLY A MARXIST SYMPATHISER)
HOMES UNDER THE YAMMER...GONE
DIE PLAYER...GONE
GRIMEZY THE SPUNKY DISC JOCKEY WITH POOR TASTE...GONE
STRICTLY COME DUNCING...GONE

DrGreggles

Fambo Number Mive

There are some good/important bits to the BBC.

Panorama has exposed serious abuse of people in "care" homes several times now. Both Panorama and BBC Parliament (which allows us to watch what happens in the House of Commons and House of Lords) are very important for society. Also Rogue Traders and I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue.

Much of the rest of it can do one though. But I do think it is important to have investigate journalism programs that aren't on commerical channels.

NoSleep

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 29, 2019, 01:44:17 PM

They could sell advertising time.