Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:25:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Watch: election bias special.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, October 31, 2019, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 29, 2019, 02:20:13 PM

Much of the rest of it can do one though. But I do think it is important to have investigate journalism programs that aren't on commerical channels.

They could investigate the BBC bias.

DrGreggles

What is point of the BBC broadcasting investigate journalism if they can't be trusted to present facts on their own news coverage?
Investigative journalists are generally freelance and would probably prefer to take their work away from the Beeb now anyway, otherwise they could be tainted by association.

BlodwynPig

Most of their investigative stuff these days sounds like Millennial Center-think.

Brilliant Novara media last night, interviewing an Irish guy (I didn't catch his name) who summarised the whole situation at the bbc. Talking about how a public service broadcaster has its daily news agenda almost entirely set by the days tabloid headlines. Tabloids who are of course massively biased towards the right. Anyway he was brilliant and it's really worth a watch.

Ferris

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 29, 2019, 11:01:26 AM
I do actually agree with that bit.

I sort of agree, but I reckon I'd just tell them "I don't need a license thanks" because they may be technically correct that they don't need to reply but why not save themselves the hassle of getting a load of letters when they could just go online and say they don't need one?

I've just realized I don't have TV for broadcast telly and haven't done for 7 years. Crikey. I could avoid the license fee!

BlodwynPig

Only adverts on canadian tv. Im watching old buffalo baseball games on bisonnet

Leo2112

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on November 29, 2019, 08:44:42 PM
Brilliant Novara media last night, interviewing an Irish guy (I didn't catch his name) who summarised the whole situation at the bbc. Talking about how a public service broadcaster has its daily news agenda almost entirely set by the days tabloid headlines. Tabloids who are of course massively biased towards the right. Anyway he was brilliant and it's really worth a watch.

Yeah the Irish guy was really good, got a feeling he's going to be playing a big part in the future.

greencalx

It was really interesting. I have to say, I had previously conflated public service and state broadcasting and I now recognise that the bits of the BBC that I think are worthwhile and would generally support are the "public service" parts, and that bits that really fuck me off are the "state broadcasting" parts. The News and Current Affairs programming almost entirely falls into the latter, and this needs to change.

Also makes a good point about political impartiality being impossible in practice, and that the solution is for journalists to be upfront about who they support. To this I would add that they should expand the pool of political correspondents considerably to get a wider set of voices in there. Despite their many faults, there's nothing particularly wrong with Kuenssberg, Robinson et al per se, it's just that the views of this very small number of people determine the tone of the entire political coverage. (Actually I think I'm being a bit generous to Kuenssberg - even if you strip away the bias, she's a terrible reporter who can't see a story that's right under her nose because of a massive fucking agenda that gets in the way).

NoSleep

It helps to have a viewpoint of your own before channeling the party line. Kuenssberg is an empty vessel.

Johnny Yesno

greencalx

Fucking state of this.

BBC News Press Team
@BBCNewsPR

The Prime Minister will be interviewed on tomorrow's Andrew Marr programme. Statement here. https://twitter.com/BBCNewsPR/status/1200744798476476416?s=20

TLDR: We need to soft soap Johnson because terrierists.

Funcrusher

So they've fucking bottled it and backed down. The word yesterday was the Johnson would not be allowed on Marr until a date for an interview with Neil was agreed and announced. Johnson will string them along and never do it.

buttgammon

They're well within their rights to replace Marr with Neil at the last minute and at least make his chickening out seem even more cowardly. But of course they won't do that.

kittens

wow. it's fuckin crazy. they think they're getting away with it too. well let me tell you, bbc, i just went to a morning screening of the joker movie. so i know exactly what to do now.

imitationleather

Oh great. So Johnson gets a relaxing Sunday morning blowjob from Marr instead of the rigorous bottom rogering we expected.

So cancelling my TV licence when I can be bothered.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on November 30, 2019, 01:46:19 PM
Oh great. So Johnson gets a relaxing Sunday morning blowjob from Marr instead of the rigorous bottom rogering we expected.

So cancelling my TV licence when I can be bothered.

Do it now or i'll ban you

🐷

peanutbutter

It's an utterly cringeworthy statement, they'd've been better off not pretending to put on an act of resistance at all.

greencalx

Would Labour have grounds for an injunction? I mean, it would probably be counterproductive politically, but one feels some sort of protest is needed.

ads82

I just want to reiterate the praise for that Novara show analysing the BBC's "impartiality" it's a fantastic watch but if not a little disheartening when you consider how the establishment manipulate their assets to ensure the cards will always be stacked against a genuine left wing political movement.

NoSleep

The revolution will not be televised.

idunnosomename

Some fairly affluent Gina Miller type needs to do a public case against the BBC. Fed up of funding an old boys club where cunts like Stig Abell, Rod Liddle, Jonathan Freedland etc etc fucking etc can witter on as if they arent vacuous smartalec dipshits

Funcrusher

Quote from: ads82 on November 30, 2019, 02:13:33 PM
I just want to reiterate the praise for that Novara show analysing the BBC's "impartiality" it's a fantastic watch but if not a little disheartening when you consider how the establishment manipulate their assets to ensure the cards will always be stacked against a genuine left wing political movement.

It is a good analysis. As that show lays out, even for someone who has a deeply jaded view of the level of corporate and elite control in this country, the picture which is emerging in the response to Corbyn really is deeply sinister. The more one thinks about this latest BBC thing the worse it seems. BBC put out a clear line yesterday that Johnson wasn't going on Marr unless the Neil interview was agreed. Since then the government has clearly applied god knows what kinds of pressure to a supposed public service broadcaster and now the line has changed, with a clearly bullshit excuse about the London Bridge thing. The elite class just does what it likes at this point, barely disguised fascism.

imitationleather

Getting to the point where we need a third party country to tell us that our media and democracy is a sham.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on November 30, 2019, 06:20:59 PM
Getting to the point where we need a third party country to tell us that our media and democracy is a sham.

Putin has already said it

idunnosomename

i've got pissed for free with a bunch of cunts and would do it again

imitationleather

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 03, 2019, 10:26:27 PM
i've got pissed for free with a bunch of cunts and would do it again

CaB meet?

idunnosomename

was not enabled by remote wetherspoons purchases