Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Watch: election bias special.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, October 31, 2019, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: NoSleep on November 29, 2019, 12:01:58 PM
What is, then?
That you do need a licence.  Are you being obtuse deliberately? 

Bronzy

dont need a tv license to have sex with ur mum lol

NoSleep

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 04, 2019, 01:00:49 AM
That you do need a licence.  Are you being obtuse deliberately?

No. But default assumptions can only be assumed once (before they are informed), and it's clear they continue to assume that you must be lying to them even after they are informed that you don't need a license; there's never a time when they cease to assume that you need a license. The default assumption for a dog license wasn't that you must need one unless you stated otherwise (and even then you must be lying). TV licenses are purchased by a large percentage (97.5% the last time I checked) so there's no need to assume the small percent who don't are lying about their need for one. I would assume that the small percentage that aren't buying one don't need one.

The correct assumption would be that anyone able to watch a televised ad on their service needs a license, so run those ads.

BBC Director of News decides that BBC News is not biased.

That's the end of that then.

Replies From View

I believe the formal parlance is "chinny reckon".

greencalx

The fact that the BBC has acknowledged that criticism exists is progress of sorts.

The next step would be to stop routinely dismissing it. Someone needs to ask, a la Kuenssberg, "Do you accept the need to apologise to your audience for the perception of bias in your reporting?"

Leo2112

Heh the BBC lamely trying to come out fighting today.  Interesting patronizing strategy adopted by Nick Robinson https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/status/1202183555230699520

idunnosomename

the guardian handing the BBC a trumpet to parp the same old "actually we're marvellous" guff is peak end of the world as we know it shit innit lads

BlodwynPig

idunnosomename

blah blah bloobity blah blah blahblah

Johnny Yesno

BlodwynPig

That's reasonable but they fail to mention

DESTROY SCUM WEASELS BBC

gatchamandave

Labour party HQ have sent in a letter of complaint to the Beeb about pro-Conservative bias, particularly in reference to Boris Johnson's chickening out of the Andrew Neill interview.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: gatchamandave on December 05, 2019, 10:23:27 PM
Labour party HQ have sent in a letter of complaint to the Beeb about pro-Conservative bias, particularly in reference to Boris Johnson's chickening out of the Andrew Neill interview.

Got a link for that?

Bently Sheds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50687225#

"General election 2019: Major urges support for ex-Tory Brexit rebels"

Rather than "John Major refuses to back Boris Johnson and the Conservative Party in the General Election"

When that nonentity Labour guy spoke up about voting against Corbyn it was all over the BBC News, when an ex-PM doesn't support his own party there's hardly a splash and it's couched in such a way as to not be an attack on Johnson.

imitationleather

I've stopped watching BBC News now and so only hear what they're doing from this place and Novara. Was Corbyn "lying" about watching the Queen's speech seriously a big story?

willy crossit

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 04, 2019, 08:55:54 PM
blah blah bloobity blah blah blahblah

bahahahaha what did we bloopitydoo to you

Quote from: imitationleather on December 06, 2019, 03:32:17 PM
I've stopped watching BBC News now and so only hear what they're doing from this place and Novara. Was Corbyn "lying" about watching the Queen's speech seriously a big story?

The media in general tried to push the "liar corbyn: they're all as bad as each other!" angle like they do with the top 5% tax increase claim, even though neither are lies and even if they were they still wouldn't begin to counter the river of bullshit coming in the other direction.

Absorb the anus burn

I don't think the BBC's reputation will survive this election campaign.

Replies From View

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on December 06, 2019, 11:32:43 PM
I don't think the BBC's reputation will survive this election campaign.

Sometimes I think this, but outside of CaB and whatever bubbles we are linking to is anyone noticing?

Danger Man

Quote from: Replies From View on December 06, 2019, 11:41:28 PM
Sometimes I think this, but outside of CaB and whatever bubbles we are linking to is anyone noticing?

No

Dr Rock

Yes that Guardian/BBC piece was in response to criticisms posted on this forum, and nowhere else.

Cardenio I

The BBC is long-term fucked anyway. When governments held something of a natural monopoly (even if attenuated through various legal delegations) on broadcast media the BBC managed to still make sense. As that grip weakened they were at least blessed with the remnants of the post-Thatcher consensus to keep people on side. But already the BBC makes zero sense in the modern climate - this election might be a nail in the coffin but, to mix metaphors, it's already a fair few centuries into its death by a thousand cuts.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 06, 2019, 11:52:10 PM
Yes that Guardian/BBC piece was in response to criticisms posted on this forum, and nowhere else.

That's not what I meant.

I'm going to take a break from the politics threads for a while; I'm getting too emotional about it all and starting to respond too impulsively and reactively for it to be healthy.

pancreas

Quote from: Replies From View on December 06, 2019, 11:58:44 PM
That's not what I meant.

I'm going to take a break from the politics threads for a while; I'm getting too emotional about it all and starting to respond too impulsively and reactively for it to be healthy.

I told you, you idiot. Go and do something about it. Knock on some doors. You'll feel so much better. Loads of sessions tomorrow near you.

Absorb the anus burn