Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:37:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Watch: election bias special.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, October 31, 2019, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kekse

Quote from: kalowski on December 14, 2019, 08:25:55 AM
On the today programme yesterday (my notes in brackets).

"And in Scotland, Labour were drastically reduced from 7 seats to 1 (ie lost 6), whereas the conservatives managed to hold on to 6 out of their 13 seats (ie lost 7)."

It's subtle use of language. Labour drastically reduced... Tories hold on...

I hear they have rod liddle on now

kalowski

Quote from: kekse on December 14, 2019, 09:39:24 AM
I hear they have rod liddle on now
I turned off when they introduced him.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Funcrusher on December 11, 2019, 11:20:49 PM
She'll be fine and nothing will be done.
she might get a caution which ought to be embarrassing but the bbc will bend over backwards defending her and itself as a bastion of sensibility and impartiality

Then the tories will slash their budgets to the level of a youtube channel lol

BlodwynPig

I've deleted all traces of the BBC. They are dead already. Starve them. Everyone stop paying your license fee.

pancreas

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 14, 2019, 11:33:48 AM
I've deleted all traces of the BBC. They are dead already. Starve them. Everyone stop paying your license fee.

I've cancelled mine.

BlodwynPig

I want to cancel mine but would I realistically need to get rid of my tv? I don't want to do this as it would leave a big gap in my living room, and I do occasionally play PS4. Could I still watch iPlayer? And what about local radio? Should I feel guilty for having three counties piped in at work?

BlodwynPig

Just do it.

Baddiel is this week's guest on Lawro's football score predictor. He did a good job for the establishment and is being rewarded with exposure from the BBC

NoSleep

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on December 14, 2019, 12:35:35 PM
I want to cancel mine but would I realistically need to get rid of my tv? I don't want to do this as it would leave a big gap in my living room, and I do occasionally play PS4. Could I still watch iPlayer? And what about local radio? Should I feel guilty for having three counties piped in at work?

Advise them you own a TV but do not watch TV on it. That's what I did. It's legal to own a TV to use with DVD players and games consoles without the need for a license. And you can't legally use iPlayer. Radio is fine (and even radio shows on iPlayer).

Funcrusher

I would like an answer to this question as well. I have a tv basically to watch dvds or downloaded content. I've maybe watched a couple of hours of BBC content in the last decade and wouldn't care if I had no access to it but any tv can potentially access it so what to do? Would like to just cancel it as I'm paying a bunch of cunts for something I never use but then you get the old letters through the door. I'm living in a shared house so I'm not even the homeowner. I've never updated the address for my licence. What happens if I just cancel the direct debit I wonder?

NoSleep

Pseudopath

Quote from: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ291Yes. You must be covered by a TV Licence (including a free over 75 licence) to download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use. You don't need a licence to watch S4C TV on demand on iPlayer.

You should be fine catching up with BBC News then (lol).

I'm gonna save quite a bit with cancelling my now tv subscription too. I'll keep Netflix on PS4 and just watch any live tv I want by streaming online. Good.

NoSleep

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Neomod on December 14, 2019, 12:51:14 PM
BBC staff express fear of public distrust after election coverage

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/14/bbc-staff-express-fear-of-public-distrust-after-election-coverage

Oh really.

QuoteBut my overwhelming impression is that people should be careful what they wish for, because they will end up with Fox News or Russia Today."

Bring it - at least they wear their affiliations on their sleeve. FUCK OFF BBC YOUR TIME IS UP.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on December 14, 2019, 01:00:30 PM
How can this be built upon? #pleasecancelmytvlicence

Sadly I've no social networks. Self-disenfranchised. The void is my co-conspirator.

imitationleather

I am definitely up for not watching the BBC anymore. Aside from a bit of election coverage after Novara packed up I haven't viewed it for weeks.

But what is a long-term solution for avoiding their news and still having an idea what is going on? I can't think of one. I can't rely on Novara doing a live broadcast once a week. Also, obviously, we shouldn't be getting our news purely from one source which admits it is very biased.

colacentral

Quote from: Neomod on December 14, 2019, 12:51:14 PM
BBC staff express fear of public distrust after election coverage

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/14/bbc-staff-express-fear-of-public-distrust-after-election-coverage

Oh really.

QuoteAnother employee involved in the broadcaster's politics output during the election said: "I'm proud of the programmes we've put together, but I feel like we've been undermined at every turn by constant gaffes on the part of senior presenters and editors. I detect an unhealthy us-versus-them mentality, an unwillingness to say sorry when the BBC gets it wrong and a genuine terror of upsetting the government in particular."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on December 14, 2019, 01:14:09 PM
I am definitely up for not watching the BBC anymore. Aside from a bit of election coverage after Novara packed up I haven't viewed it for weeks.

But what is a long-term solution for avoiding their news and still having an idea what is going on? I can't think of one. I can't rely on Novara doing a live broadcast once a week. Also, obviously, we shouldn't be getting our news purely from one source which admits it is very biased.

I deleted the news app and asked here if there were alternative news apps (I can only find RT). The inbuilt apple news app periodically gives me ISNT BORIS GREAT pop up messages though, which is partly what I want to avoid

NoSleep

Quote from: imitationleather on December 14, 2019, 01:14:09 PM
Aside from a bit of election coverage after Novara packed up I haven't viewed it for weeks.

There seemed to be massed heavy drinking on Novara after the exit poll.

Dewt

BlodwynPig

Bbc journos to get 24-7 bodyguards now.

Ambient Sheep

Is it just me (and it might be) but did they leave that huge fucking bargraph of the election results up on their News front page for so long back in 2017 and 2015?  I don't recall it lasting much before Friday evening / Saturday morning before, and yet here we are on Sunday lunchtime and it's still fucking there.

If this is usual then fair enough, classic case of selective memory on my part.

If this isn't usual then it's not doing much to dispel the accusations of bias that the Beeb staff in that Guardian article are worried about.  Talking of which, I particularly liked:

QuoteBBC journalists based in London, an area with strong Labour support, reported finding it harder now that their friendship groups were increasingly critical of the corporation's output.

Not in a mean way, but it's good to see that the message is getting across.

idunnosomename

Havent had radio 4 on for days. Dont even want 3 on anymore

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 15, 2019, 12:36:47 PM
Havent had radio 4 on for days. Dont even want 3 on anymore

Try Radio K.A.O.S.

QuoteWho needs information
This high off the ground?
Just give me confirmation
We could win a million pounds
Who needs information
When you're living in constant fear?