Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Watch: election bias special.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, October 31, 2019, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Also there was that famous cock-up during Live Aid where for some reason when one of the top bands in the world should have been playing they accidentally included footage of the Boomtown Rats.

pancreas

Yes it's funny how this stuff happens, I was watching a Labour Party election broadcast and it inexplicably segued into the Triumph of the Will.

Johnny Yesno

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 11, 2019, 11:07:58 PM
You are, though, irrespective of the Beeb's dodgy editing.

No, i'm not. Pie and pint?

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 11, 2019, 10:04:41 PM
Stop this.

Not a facking accident.

Oooh maybe the bad man didnt mean to strangle that girl.

Ooh lets give Fred the benefit of the doubt

Who's Fred?  Is he the aforementioned bad man or another person just wandering in at the end of the play?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Captain Z on November 11, 2019, 10:11:29 PM
The "6" had come loose and fell upside down in the filename.

Nice reference. I would give you karma but it's bollocks. Here's some letters and punctuation marks arranged into praise instead.

BlodwynPig

Hypothetical Fred West. Whom the BBC initially referred to as 'local businessman and respected landlord' before the full details of his crimes emerged

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: colacentral on November 11, 2019, 09:45:10 PM
The edit of that wreath video being "a mistake" is the same excuse used for an edit on Newsnight just a few weeks ago where they showed Corbyn responding to the Spring 2016 budget.

Well remembered, but that was two years ago.

QuoteIt's real sinister cuntery that I don't remember from the BBC to this level in 2017.

:-D

BlodwynPig

And what? 2 years ago or now? Public broadcaster. Goebbels would blush

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 11, 2019, 10:38:16 PM
No. Do you think it was an accident, buelligan?

No I don't, did you read what I wrote?

gib

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on November 11, 2019, 10:08:11 PM
The three year old footage was accidentally removed from the archive and precisely edited to match the shot of him stepping from the line to place the wreath....?

Amazing.

Oh come on, we've all done it.

colacentral

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 11, 2019, 11:25:35 PM
Well remembered, but that was two years ago.

:-D

Hah. It would've been linked to by someone a few weeks ago and I've conflated it with the recent Queen's Speech.

Well then it shows it's a recurring trick. It's happened twice in two elections, for the same broadcaster, and both times it helps the Tories. Can anyone with the time and the means check the edited by credits on both broadcasts?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on November 11, 2019, 11:41:33 PM
No I don't, did you read what I wrote?

Yes. Just wanted absolute confirmation.

Spber now

Pranet

The explanation given to Buzzfeed by a "BBC source" is here.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1193882603847327745

I don't know anything about how a news programme is put together so I couldn't comment on its validity. But in an entirely different work context I have certainly encountered situations where similar but old files have caused problems.

phantom_power

Of course it was an accident. Someone at Are Brave Beeb had spliced together a hypothetical situation where an event from 2016 had suddenly happened in 2019, as they often do, and someone accidentally took that footage and showed it on the bloomin' news

Also, as stated in the Corbyn thread, some bias as fuck chat about Labour voters being urged to vote Tory because of their stance on Kashmir, despite them clarifying and apologising about what was said at conference. Every morning on Radio 4 there is some negative Labour story with no real answer from the left or any reporting of the seemingly constant Tory clownshoe behaviour

Pdine

The BBC are massively anti-Corbyn, but looking at the actual clip in context I don't think  there's any 'splicing'.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bbc-boris-johnson-brexit-wreath-laying-cenotaph-footage-wrong-old-tory-bias-a9198521.html

(if that's the one we're talking about). BJ clearly has the same green wreath throughout. It seems fairly plausible to me that this is just a clip confusion; the idea that this is all hand-edited beforehand is severely out of date. You can get a good feel for how the system works by looking at the documents that came out in 2014 when they had to explain how they pissed away £100m on a system that was designed to allow this kind of 'search-locate-play' workflow but failed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26963723
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Media_Initiative

All for pointing out the many instances of genuine bias, but getting furious over questionable examples like this is counterproductive I reckon.

Dr Rock

No, we should not give them the benefit of the doubt, as the BBC bias needs highlighting even if this instance was possibly a mistake. The more this instance is talked about, the more the truth that Boris laid the wreath upside down will be known. People will have to admit if Corbyn did that it would be headline news. The next time the BBC shows Tory bias, there will be more complaints. Put them under as much pressure as possible not to make any more 'slip-ups' or reporting fake news (as the issue of 'Downing Street Sources' ie 'Cummings does another lie, pass it on pls Laura' was confronted).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 12, 2019, 08:43:32 AM
No, we should not give them the benefit of the doubt, as the BBC bias needs highlighting even if this instance was possibly a mistake. The more this instance is talked about, the more the truth that Boris laid the wreath upside down will be known. People will have to admit if Corbyn did that it would be headline news. The next time the BBC shows Tory bias, there will be more complaints. Put them under as much pressure as possible not to make any more 'slip-ups' or reporting fake news (as the issue of 'Downing Street Sources' ie 'Cummings does another lie, pass it on pls Laura' was confronted).

Precis

Pdine

Maybe, but it could also have the counterproductive effect of making legitimate complaints questionable to the 'average' viewer. Also of course, anyone who actually cares about which way up the cunt put his wreath is demented. Remember when they tried this shit with Foot? We should be better than that.

EOLAN

Quote from: Pdine on November 12, 2019, 09:05:11 AM
Maybe, but it could also have the counterproductive effect of making legitimate complaints questionable to the 'average' viewer. Also of course, anyone who actually cares about which way up the cunt put his wreath is demented. Remember when they tried this shit with Foot? We should be better than that.

Agreed to some extent that the issues involving Johnson and Cenotaph are rarely minor of themselves. Probably what I would describe as a gaffe; but then in BBC parlance that would equate to supporting people who judges have stated deliberately sabotaged rape trials and insulting the memory of unfortunate victims of the Greenfell disaster. We should be better than that but it could be akin to do we want to bring only a pen-knife to a gun-fight. The key item is that the press have consistently had Corbyn under immense scrutiny for any "gaffes" at remembrance services; including recently he only bowing his head slightly - which appears to be the correct protocol and now when Johnson does something that should earn similar if not slightly more scrutiny there appears to be a cover-up on it.

Buelligan

Quote from: Pdine on November 12, 2019, 09:05:11 AM
Maybe, but it could also have the counterproductive effect of making legitimate complaints questionable to the 'average' viewer.

I'd never call you "average" but placing that on one side, have you ever complained to the BBC?  If so, would you say that the BBC (before this counterproductive event) treated your complaint with any sort of concern at all?

Dr Rock

It needs to be a news story. 'BBC receives record number of complaints about Tory bias during election'. That will only happen if people actually complain to the BBC rather than slagging them off on Twitter.

Or someone could do one of those petitions that never achieves anything much. Or do absolutely nothing and let them get even worse.

Pdine

Quote from: Buelligan on November 12, 2019, 10:37:08 AM
I'd never call you "average" but placing that on one side, have you ever complained to the BBC?  If so, would you say that the BBC (before this counterproductive event) treated your complaint with any sort of concern at all?

No I never have, although I was tempted in the past as a way of getting to meet Barry Took. I don't think that complaining to them is the best way to influence them; complaining about them publicly in social media with solid examples of bias is much more effective I think, and I have done that within my fairly limited circle of people who give a fuck what I say. Complaining about them and then having to retract though (and I think that it's important to do that when it turns out one is wrong) means that undecided listeners might be less willing to listen next time around. In my experience most people assume the BBC is unbiased, so to challenge that you need good, clear, accurate examples.

edit to add: Also the 'Corbyn would be pilloried for this' argument, while accurate, maybe contains the subtext that we would like all politicians to be subject to shrill fuckwitted commentary from cunts, rather than none.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 12, 2019, 10:43:23 AM
It needs to be a news story. 'BBC receives record number of complaints about Tory bias during election'. That will only happen if people actually complain to the BBC rather than slagging them off on Twitter.

Or someone could do one of those petitions that never achieves anything much. Or do absolutely nothing and let them get even worse.

Here's their response to my complaint about the above

QuoteWe notice you do not have a TV licence. We will be shortly advising our lawyers to take proceedings against you and will be asking the courts for the harshest permissible penalty to be imposed. Please note that this will involve some jail time. We can therefore not respond to your 'complaint' at this present time.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pdine on November 12, 2019, 10:58:06 AM
No I never have, although I was tempted in the past as a way of getting to meet Barry Took. I don't think that complaining to them is the best way to influence them; complaining about them publicly in social media with solid examples of bias is much more effective I think, and I have done that within my fairly limited circle of people who give a fuck what I say. Complaining about them and then having to retract though (and I think that it's important to do that when it turns out one is wrong) means that undecided listeners might be less willing to listen next time around. In my experience most people assume the BBC is unbiased, so to challenge that you need good, clear, accurate examples.

Agreed. However, it took the police ages to arrest Fred because he just stood around in his jumper shrugging and saying 'just the drains, officer'

Absorb the anus burn

Surely the most obvious explanation for wreathgate is that the BBC had some standby footage of 'the PM' looking statesmanlike from 2016 ready to edit into news packages... Just in case he turned up a drunken, coked-up mess who would mistime a simple cue and place his wreath upside down. Seems everything worked out okay then. Great.

greencalx

As far as I remember (wasn't paying close attention) the news at 10 last night didn't cover Labour's education policy launch. Instead they were in Bishop Auckland finding as many anti-Labour vox pops as they could.

Here's the one they didn't include: https://twitter.com/aaronbastani/status/1194378594161741824?s=21

Dr Rock

Why does the BBC journalist say 'clearly a Labour supporter' at the end? Obviously it's a way of discrediting his opinion as biased, but he could be LibDem, Green, or even a Tory Remainer who thinks Boris Johnson is shit. BBC cunts.

greencalx

Exactly what I thought - if anything, he sounded equally critical of Labour's policy of renegotiating the withdrawal agreement.

Fambo Number Mive

Feature on the BBC News website "Will Jeremy Corbyn's long march lead to power?"

Haven't clicked it.