Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:50:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Watch: election bias special.

Started by Absorb the anus burn, October 31, 2019, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairman Yang

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 14, 2019, 08:21:59 AM
Feature on the BBC News website "Will Jeremy Corbyn's long march lead to power?"

Haven't clicked it.

Well the banner is a very tasteful vector render of Corbyn in that fucking fishing hat, which was also the icon on the front page until about an hour ago.

Presumably most people won't read the... ehhh... gossipy article and just file it under: 'Oh there goes the Marxist again'

Fambo Number Mive

Just clicked it. Why are they calling him the "accidental leader"?

buttgammon

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 14, 2019, 08:57:32 AM

They have a point. I spilled ink on the ballot paper that somehow formed the shape of an x and just dropped it in the postbox by accident when I voted for him.

NoSleep

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 14, 2019, 08:21:59 AM
Feature on the BBC News website "Will Jeremy Corbyn's long march lead to power?"

Haven't clicked it.

I scanned through that quickly. It's a long piece on his history. It seems unusually positive.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on November 14, 2019, 10:11:26 AM
I scanned through that quickly. It's a long piece on his history. It seems unusually positive.

Just something the BBC can put in their report to the equalities and impartiality commission

jobotic

Look at this from Oborne's bit in the Guardian today.

QuoteI have talked to senior BBC executives, and they tell me they personally think it's wrong to expose lies told by a British prime minister because it undermines trust in British politics.

Fishfinger

Laura Kuenssberg tweets: "Tory candidate suspended in Aberdeen North, Labour chair quits in Leicester East", but only links to the latter, which generates an eye-catching headline.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1196696208879865857

idunnosomename

im still not sure how much is conscious tory bias, how much unconscious bias, and how much simply being very bad at twitter

Replies From View

Because they think he is Chinese.  (And they don't know what "accidental" means.)

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 19, 2019, 06:40:59 PM
im still not sure how much is conscious tory bias, how much unconscious bias, and how much simply being very bad at twitter

As Chomsky told Marr, a cultural bias is self-sustaining as people hire like-minded people. You don't have to be consciously biased (although they are also at times) when the only people who get to be in those positions have already  passed through many filters to ensure they're the 'right sort'.

idunnosomename

that's the BBC yes. I don't think the BBC has meetings on how to covertly support the tories and undermine labour, but it is an incestuous pit of back-slapping snakes. well. that imagery doesnt quite work but still. fuckit post

NoSleep

Of course it wasn't an accident that he has become leader, but the process that led to it included the two "accidents" of:

1) Miliband thinking the general public were brainwashed enough into complying with the neoliberal/austerity-approving version of Labour to be allowed a democratic say in the election of a leader of the Labour Party.

2) The PLP allowed the usual token "leftie" onto the ballot assuming "nobody" would vote for them. Just barely allowed, too (to the regret of the PLP).

Fortunately us nobodies were awake to the opportunity that arose from this.

Replies From View

Quote from: NoSleep on November 20, 2019, 08:03:33 AM
Fortunately us nobodies were awake to the opportunity that arose from this.

Didn't a lot of anti-Labour people pay £3 and vote for Corbyn because they thought it would break Labour?  I recall people like Louise Mensch crowing about it at the time; maybe this was over-reported though.

NoSleep

I doubt that there were many that bothered to do that.

Johnny Yesno

Mystic claimed he did that. What a dunce, eh?

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on November 20, 2019, 08:12:37 AM
I doubt that there were many that bothered to do that.

Certainly not enough to fully account for the margin by which he won.

Absorb the anus burn

BBC delete video from their website of Home Sec on North West news.....

"... Home Secretary Priti Patel told BBC North-West that the government is not to blame for poverty. But that everyone else is.Not Tory cuts. Just you and your local council..."

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/11/21/if-voters-see-this-the-tories-are-finished-so-why-did-bbc-just-delete-it/

BlodwynPig

DESTROY THE BBC

PLEASE SIGN HERE IF YOU AGREE....

1. BLODWYN T. PIG

Radio Four news, lunchtime-ish yesterday. From memory, but something like:

Presenter
The Conservative party has been criticised for re-branding its Twitter account as if it were an impartial, fact-checking site. Here's our correspondent with more details.

Correspondent
The first thing to say is that the Labour party has also been criticised for using social media misleadingly.

Me
WHAT?

Cuellar

So presumably still allowed to say "What you've just said is a lie"

BlodwynPig

The walls are closing in. FIGHT PEOPLE FIGHT!

DrGreggles

BlodwynPig

I SEE NO-ONE HAS SIGNED MY PETITION FOR BBC TO BE D E S T R O Y E D immediately and finally

Buelligan

I'm afraid I can't sign anything but am prepared to help.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on November 24, 2019, 04:16:46 PM
I'm afraid I can't sign anything but am prepared to help.

The signature comes with free nokia and pitchfork

Buelligan

Have pitchfork (tuning and hay fork) already.  Have no Nokia nor other phone nor need of one, if I want to be tracked I'll get an implant at the vets.