Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oh great another 'name this song' tread

Started by Norton Canes, November 01, 2019, 10:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Circa early 90's rave/ragga type tune but mid-tempo, possibly female vocals (MC Kinky?), main thing I remember is repeated vocal (sample?) "Bomba deng"

Sure it got into charts so not too obscure

Thx

Norton Canes

gib

If you'd have said 'like Simon Pegg doing an impression of Vanilla Ice' instead of 'ragga' we might have got there!

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 01, 2019, 10:26:56 AM
Circa early 90's rave/ragga type tune but mid-tempo, possibly female vocals (MC Kinky?), main thing I remember is repeated vocal (sample?) "Bomba deng"

Sure it got into charts so not too obscure

Thx
I'm pretty sure that vocal sample was used on another track around that time too (especially as Tunes Splits The Atom was basically made of samples from other contemporary songs - Testone, I Am The Resurrection etc). The other track that uses it features on a mix I recorded off the radio in 1989 (mixed into Todd Terry's Bango (To The Batmobile) but the DJ obviously didn't give any track names or artists.

Norton Canes

Have you still got the tape? Any chance of getting it online?

Quote from: buzby on November 04, 2019, 01:09:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that vocal sample was used on another track around that time too (especially as Tunes Splits The Atom was basically made of samples from other contemporary songs - Testone, I Am The Resurrection etc). The other track that uses it features on a mix I recorded off the radio in 1989 (mixed into Todd Terry's Bango (To The Batmobile) but the DJ obviously didn't give any track names or artists.
I've definitely heard early house tunes use the same sample, I'd guess at Todd Terry/Kenny Dope or someone else from New York.

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 04, 2019, 01:20:48 PM
Have you still got the tape? Any chance of getting it online?
I will have to try and look further. I only have one of the tapes that I dubbed to CD ,and it's not on that. However ,the sample is still doing the rounds - this tuse was released this year:
Sinden & Dr. Fresch - Bomba Deng

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: buzby on November 04, 2019, 01:09:16 PM
Tunes Splits The Atom .
Blimey, I've never heard him rapping with his full Manc accent. It's rather good.

phantom_power

I definitely remember a track in the later 80s or early 90s but it feels like it is some big name dance act like 808 State or something. It is really bugging me now

Norton Canes

There is another track, isn't there, that only has the sample once, at the end of each line or verse or whatever (rather than cut up as in Tunes Splits The Atom).

the

Quote from: buzby on November 04, 2019, 01:09:16 PMI'm pretty sure that vocal sample was used on another track around that time too (especially as Tunes Splits The Atom was basically made of samples from other contemporary songs - Testone, I Am The Resurrection etc). The other track that uses it features on a mix I recorded off the radio in 1989 (mixed into Todd Terry's Bango (To The Batmobile) but the DJ obviously didn't give any track names or artists.

The sample was also used in Anna G - G'Ding, G'Ding (Do You Wanna Wanna). Which must surely win some 'terrible song title' award.

The link above is from the middle of the Raw Mix, it's worth noting that the Energy Mix on the A-side has the 'bomba deng' sample right from the start, repeating for the first 16 bars, so that may be what people are remembering. I have it on a compilation, doesn't seem to be on YT or anywhere though.

buzby

Quote from: the on November 09, 2019, 03:43:55 PM
The sample was also used in Anna G - G'Ding, G'Ding (Do You Wanna Wanna). Which must surely win some 'terrible song title' award.

The link above is from the middle of the Raw Mix, it's worth noting that the Energy Mix on the A-side has the 'bomba deng' sample right from the start, repeating for the first 16 bars, so that may be what people are remembering. I have it on a compilation, doesn't seem to be on YT or anywhere though.
That's the one! I remember it having that bassline, I've just found it on an MP3 blog and it was the Energy Mix. The timeline fits with when Radio City were doing the No Sell Out saturday night dance shows, getting people ready to go to the Quad.